Refresh My memory, please

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Hello, long time member, but been away since the N20U released.

Well, looks like it's time for upgrading, and I'm about to pull the trigger on the N23U. Problem is, I need the 1TB version, as I have 1TB total storage currently, and there is no expandable memory anymore.
Additionally, I am on AT&T, and they only carry the 512 version, no 1TB.

So if I go with the unlocked version, what are features that get locked/blocked by the unlocked versus carrier software? One thing I'm concerned about losing from the limitations in the past is WiFi calling, and my mobile Hotspot.

Is there a way around this now? I still really hate the fact they took away the memory slot, and yet jacked up the price in the process.

Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my SM-N986U using AC Forums mobile app

Borgie

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Hello, long time member, but been away since the N20U released.

Well, looks like it's time for upgrading, and I'm about to pull the trigger on the N23U. Problem is, I need the 1TB version, as I have 1TB total storage currently, and there is no expandable memory anymore.
Additionally, I am on AT&T, and they only carry the 512 version, no 1TB.

So if I go with the unlocked version, what are features that get locked/blocked by the unlocked versus carrier software? One thing I'm concerned about losing from the limitations in the past is WiFi calling, and my mobile Hotspot.

Is there a way around this now? I still really hate the fact they took away the memory slot, and yet jacked up the price in the process.

Any help is appreciated!

You won't have all the crappy carrier software installed, no loss there

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
According to Samsungs site, the only way to get the 1TB version is to buy the Unlocked model. Carrier versions only have 256GB and 512GB at this time.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
According to Samsungs site, the only way to get the 1TB version is to buy the Unlocked model. Carrier versions only have 256GB and 512GB at this time.
Yes, I am well aware that's the only way to get the 1TB version. I am looking for a clear answer on what features are still available. I thought I read in the past N20U forums that someone got both WiFi calling and Hot Spot working on an unlocked device on AT&T. But it's been years since I saw that, and I can't find it again. I'd like to pre-order while I can still take advantage of the offers and trade-in.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I use a Samsung unlocked ZF4 with AT&T and I can verify that wifi calling and hotspot indeed work. AT&T video calling will not be available but that's ok as I bet you've never used it and it then just uses Google Duo for video calling. Even better is that your SMS texting will use RCS services provided by Jibe from Google and not ATT's RCS which is limited the last time I used it. Go for it, you won't regret it.

Note that this was with my unlocked ZF4 so I am really just guessing it'll be the same with the S23U. I have no reason to believe it'll be different. My S22U was ATT and they really killed my experience.

Also, we are the last to get software updates. Well get it after all the other carriers get it.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I use a Samsung unlocked ZF4 with AT&T and I can verify that wifi calling and hotspot indeed work. AT&T video calling will not be available but that's ok as I bet you've never used it and it then just uses Google Duo for video calling. Even better is that your SMS texting will use RCS services provided by Jibe from Google and not ATT's RCS which is limited the last time I used it. Go for it, you won't regret it.

Note that this was with my unlocked ZF4 so I am really just guessing it'll be the same with the S23U. I have no reason to believe it'll be different. My S22U was ATT and they really killed my experience.

Also, we are the last to get software updates. Well get it after all the other carriers get it.

Thank you!

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site

Pre-Ordered 1TB Sky Blue S23U. And you're correct. No one I know uses ATT Video calling, so I've never used it either. Strange feature to have, and I'm betting a good majority of people have not used it outside of trying it out once or twice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC