Regular Note 20 better screen than the Ultra ?

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: Note 20 Ultra Less Vivid & Less Bright than Note 20

Man, after every unpacked even I've always gone to my BB to check out the new models when available and this time around I haven't probably because of the Covid situation but I'm curious to take a look at the phone for myself and will probably take a trip on way home from work to my BB tomorrow :)

I don't think it will stop my order... I mean $299 for my N20U ($1000 AT&T promotion) I'll probably be able to live with not having the best screen in the market unless less vivid means it just looks bad. If it were a bad screen... I'd guess i would have to go iphone 12 Pro.

For most part when reading impressions they say the screen is bright and beautiful. Usually Samsung always take best display from displaymate when a new phone is out so this will be a first in a while.

So that's now 3 Note 20 Ultra devices confirmed as not as Vivid as other Galaxy phones. It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next couple weeks.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
S8... A software update. A sort of fix for more of a hardware defect than a software issue.

People were posting noticing looking at BB display models (Maybe me being one :p) of pink tint. I was in the market of a new phone. Ended up waiting for the Note 8. I remember posting side by sides too and others so corroborated seeing this.

So Samsung's solution, to avoid dealing with replacing screens, was to push an update and that's when the appearance of the RGB slide buttons appeared. People with the issue had to slide the red setting all the way to one side to get it to look closer to the screens with no issues.

What phone did they have to fix a display with software at release? Just curious. That is reassuring that they will follow through fixing this.

Last edited:

AndroidPurity

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
Man, after every unpacked even I've always gone to my BB to check out the new models when available and this time around I haven't probably because of the Covid situation but I'm curious to take a look at the phone for myself and will probably take a trip on way home from work to my BB tomorrow :)

Let us know what your thoughts after you compare. Keep in mind I think most Best Buys close at 6pm now because of the pandemic. Did you see my pictures of comparison? Check them out in post number 14 if you haven't.

S8... A software update. A sort of fix for more of a hardware defect than a software issue.

People were posting noticing looking at BB display models (Maybe me being one :p) of pink tint. I was in the market of a new phone. Ended up waiting for the Note 8. I remember posting side by sides too and others so corroborated seeing this.

So Samsung's solution, to avoid dealing with replacing screens, was to push an update and that's when the appearance of the RGB slide buttons appeared. People with the issue had to slide the red setting all the way to one side to get it to look closer to the screens with no issues.

Thanks! That's a little reassuring they have pushed out software updates to fix a display issue at release before. Even if it wasn't a full fix for that scenario. Because that's probably all that is needed this time around from my testing.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I thought I didn't see your pics so went back and remember I did just glance at them so I took a closer look at full size on my computer...

The pic showing higher white balance... yeah maybe I can see the phone on right it a touch brighter from the photos.

The pic of the wallpaper you downloaded, when blown up to 100%, I really tried to see some differences... and looking at the pine tress to the left in the shadows with the white lines going down some of the branches... I can see the phone on right were a little brighter, the sky to the top left corner of screen through the trees, the blues are a tad brighter. The little green palmy type leaves to the left and right of the creek... a little brighter... a few of the stars to the left of the horizon a tad brighter than the on the N20U...

Not sure what to say.. I'll have to see the N20U in person but the phone on right did look like the color saturation is bumped up a point... the brightness bumped up a point.

I guess also worth mentioning when I give my opinion, I'm the tupe of guy that doesn't really see the diff when I put the phone on QHD and 1080 so others may see a greater diff. but the difference in your sample pictures to me is like talking about maybe a 10th difference in a drag race... maybe even... not even a whole care length diff to me. I'm glad I took a close look cause for me... I think both screens look great.

I'm still gonna go try to check it out tomorrow just cause I really wanna see these things in person for fun... just bring a few wipes for afterwards lol. But it's probably software correctable. Whether you see reviews mention more on this for Samsung to take note and make a change is not certain. There is already an update planned and the phone hasn't launched so maybe it will include final tweeks in the display.

Do you have a link to the original wallpaper?? I'm curious to download it to my computer and see what it looks like on my computer and compare to the the two phones.

Let us know what your thoughts after you compare. Keep in mind I think most Best Buys close at 6pm now because of the pandemic. Did you see my pictures of comparison? Check them out in post number 14 if you haven't.

Thanks! That's a little reassuring they have pushed out software updates to fix a display issue at release before. Even if it wasn't a full fix for that scenario. Because that's probably all that is needed this time around from my testing.

AndroidPurity

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
Not sure what to say.. I'll have to see the N20U in person but the phone on right did look like the color saturation is bumped up a point... the brightness bumped up a point.

I guess also worth mentioning when I give my opinion, I'm the tupe of guy that doesn't really see the diff when I put the phone on QHD and 1080 so others may see a greater diff. but the difference in your sample pictures to me is like talking about maybe a 10th difference in a drag race... maybe even... not even a whole care length diff to me. I'm glad I took a close look cause for me... I think both screens look great.

I'm still gonna go try to check it out tomorrow just cause I really wanna see these things in person for fun... just bring a few wipes for afterwards lol. But it's probably software correctable. Whether you see reviews mention more on this for Samsung to take note and make a change is not certain. There is already an update planned and the phone hasn't launched so maybe it will include final tweeks in the display.

Do you have a link to the original wallpaper?? I'm curious to download it to my computer and see what it looks like on my computer and compare to the the two phones.

Yeah it definitely isn't what I would call a big difference. However it's a sizeable enough difference is easily noticeable in person when comparing the 2 side by side. Don't worry I won't be offended if you say the difference isn't a issue for you. Everyone has their own preference!

Yes!! I do have the link for the wallpaper I used. I basically just searched the "4k wallpaper" on Google on both phones at the sour of the moment, then went to images, then clicked on the first picture I saw that had lots of colors that should show a good color saturation comparison.

That website link is https://www.pixel4k.com/small-memory-4k-60763.html

I downloaded the file size below the picture labeled "Ultra HD 4K Size : 3840x2160"

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

Yeah, I remember that pink tint from the S8 forums.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the link. I downloaded the pic and compared it to your phone pics (downloaded and blown up where I can see the image on each phone to my full PC screen)...

Edit... I made a lot of comments comparing the wallpapers shown on phone to the wallpaper downloaded to my screen but decided to wait until I can see the screen in person... I found that the wallpaper on phone was off to the actual wallpaper and maybe beause we are looking at a pic of the screens causing the diff.

Yes!! I do have the link for the wallpaper I used. I basically just searched the "4k wallpaper" on Google on both phones at the sour of the moment, then went to images, then clicked on the first picture I saw that had lots of colors that should show a good color saturation comparison.

I downloaded the file size below the picture labeled "Ultra HD 4K Size : 3840x2160"

Last edited:

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I thought their "fix" was a crock of doo doo and didn't want to play a game of chance of which panel I was going to get (and this was after the Note 7 fiasco) so waited for the Note 8 and glad I did. Back then they also seems to burn so easily... the demo units at BB couldnt last a month before you see deep burns of images from their demos. They must have made a huge improvement because last couple of gen phones you see at BB you don't see the type of burn if any.

Yeah, I remember that pink tint from the S8 forums.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
I thought their "fix" was a crock of doo doo and didn't want to play a game of chance of which panel I was going to get (and this was after the Note 7 fiasco) so waited for the Note 8 and glad I did. Back then they also seems to burn so easily... the demo units at BB couldnt last a month before you see deep burns of images from their demos. They must have made a huge improvement because last couple of gen phones you see at BB you don't see the type of burn if any.

Mine didn't have the pink issue, and I traded it in after 6 months or so. I never got the burn-in. That was back before JoD became garbage, and I just randomly upgraded whenever I felt like it.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
@AndroidPurity Here's a video for you just watching now. Forward to 8 minute mark and she basically repeated your comments on screen. You really have a sharp eye. She gives a theory and I had thought about that too last night and may agree.

But I did go to BB and see the N20U. I also downloaded the same wallpaper to see it up close for myself.

I had posted a long post last night but deleted it because I wanted to see the screen for myself and then judge.

Honestly, I know you prefer the Note 20 more vivid from the photo you showed, but when I compared it to the same wallpaper I downloaded to my PC to compare, I find the N20U to be more accurate to the original... the lines I mentioned on the tress in shadow are not as bright and closer to the original compared to the N20 and the palm like leaves on the N20U are closer to the original. I do think maybe the new screen is more tuned for accuracy as the woman in the video comments.

After finally getting to see the phone, I think the screen is beautiful so I can definitely be happy with it and if they do push updates and make it look better then that's cool too. :) Honestly, I'm ok with natural and ok if they punched it up a tad like the N20... I probably won't notice the diff :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkMtRzlR-so

Yeah it definitely isn't what I would call a big difference. However it's a sizeable enough difference is easily noticeable in person when comparing the 2 side by side. Don't worry I won't be offended if you say the difference isn't a issue for you. Everyone has their own preference!

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
It's funny how things have come full circle. Samsung displays used to be criticized for being over saturated and too "vivid" and not natural.. and now they may be criticized for being too natural and not vivid enough?

It's sort of like the plastic back of the Note 10.. It wasn't that long ago when lots of folks criticized why the back had to be made of glass.

Also, does Lew use more and more eyeliner with every video he posts?

AndroidPurity

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
@AndroidPurity Here's a video for you just watching now. Forward to 8 minute mark and she basically repeated your comments on screen. You really have a sharp eye. She gives a theory and I had thought about that too last night and may agree.

But I did go to BB and see the N20U. I also downloaded the same wallpaper to see it up close for myself.

I had posted a long post last night but deleted it because I wanted to see the screen for myself and then judge.

Honestly, I know you prefer the Note 20 more vivid from the photo you showed, but when I compared it to the same wallpaper I downloaded to my PC to compare, I find the N20U to be more accurate to the original... the lines I mentioned on the tress in shadow are not as bright and closer to the original compared to the N20 and the palm like leaves on the N20U are closer to the original. I do think maybe the new screen is more tuned for accuracy as the woman in the video comments.

After finally getting to see the phone, I think the screen is beautiful so I can definitely be happy with it and if they do push updates and make it look better then that's cool too. :) Honestly, I'm ok with natural and ok if they punched it up a tad like the N20... I probably won't notice the diff :p

Thanks! It's glad to hear further validation by a 3rd professional reviewer that this display is less Vivid than previous Galaxy phones.

I actually don't believe Samsung intended this outcome for 1 major reason. On their website of the Note 20 Ultra where they market the device listing all the great things about it, then in the performance section they say "Galaxy's Brightest most Vivid Display."

I don't think they should change the natural mode any. However I do thing they should crank up the Vividness a bit more that closely matches the regular Note 20. Then of course when people want more toned down colors they can go back to natural.

The more this gets mentioned by reviewers the more likely Samsung is to notice and push an update out for this. Also personally I felt like the manual brightness wasn't as good as I was expecting. It was by no means dim. But wasn't any brightness that blew me away. My 8 Pro was way brighter in manual 100% Brightness. Kind of funny cause it's a Samsung panel of course.

I'm keeping an eye out on this vivid display subject and will be sure to update if there's any developments. Still on the fence if I'm going to preorder. I will make a decision by the 17th or 18th is my plan.

AndroidPurity

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
It's funny how things have come full circle. Samsung displays used to be criticized for being over saturated and too "vivid" and not natural.. and now they may be criticized for being too natural and not vivid enough?

It's sort of like the plastic back of the Note 10.. It wasn't that long ago when lots of folks criticized why the back had to be made of glass.

Also, does Lew use more and more eyeliner with every video he posts?

Yeah they were criticism for being too Vivid a while back. Although since they have offered a more natural display setting I haven't really heard much criticism about it in recent years.

My OnePlus 8 Pro has 5 different display settings...

Natural
Vivid
sRGB
Wide Gamut AMOLED
Display P3

Also that is a Samsung panel with all those display color profiles while having the ability to run QHD and 120hz at the same time. But I keep mine FHD at 120hz usually.

Anyways the point is it proves Samsung AMOLED phone panels are capable of all those things if Samsung just enabled it in their software. I think they don't cause their Exynos struggles with all those things.

I wish Samsung had more color profile display settings to chose from. I like using different display settings depending on what I'm doing on the phone.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah they were criticism for being too Vivid a while back. Although since they have offered a more natural display setting I haven't really heard much criticism about it in recent years.

My OnePlus 8 Pro has 5 different display settings...

Natural
Vivid
sRGB
Wide Gamut AMOLED
Display P3

I wish Samsung had more display settings to chose from. I like using different display settings depending on what I'm doing on the phone.
They use to , but taken them out :(

Panogak100

Aug 23, 2020
Visit site
I just got my device yesterday. The display is definitely less vivid which I unfortunately do not like. I compared it with my note 10 plus side by side as well as played same exact vidoes and note 10 plus display is much more vivid and colors pop as you mentioned. I just prefer the vivid colors and punchier display as prior Note Displays and phones. I really hope Samsung comes up with a fix/update and allows for a more vivid/punchier display option for those that desire. I may return this device before the 30 days if no fix soon. I see now what Unbox Therapy YouTube Channel was talking about. I think this maybe a bid deal for a lot of users. This could of been a almost perfect phone...

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Looks good to me just as good as my note 10 plus was. Enjoying this device better than the 10 plus. I like the size better easier to handle.

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hellofello