Regular Note 20 better screen than the Ultra ?

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Note 20 Ultra Less Vivid & Less Bright than Note 20

I'll do myself a favor then, I won't look at the note 20. What I don't see and know won't bother me. Doesn't matter, no matter what phone is out there, someone will find something to not like.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site

Might have something to do with not being able to lock the display at 120hz and the phone choosing the refresh rate on it's own.

james702283

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site

Might have something to do with not being able to lock the display at 120hz and the phone choosing the refresh rate on it's own.
Yeah, that's my thoughts too. I'd like to see them side by side both with WQHD+ 60 HZ display on.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

The Samsung Note 20 Ultra is rated at 1500 nits which is close to being one of the brightest phones available if not brightest. But if it's set up in past Samsungs like my Note 8, you'll never see it pushed to 1500 in probably any indoor scenarios. Indoors the phones max bright will probably be in the 700-800 range done on purpose. Without Adaptive Display on, Samsung will probably set a fixed max somewhere in that range.

I linked a video so show but you have to set Adaptive Display to auto and only then and you're in an outdoor situation where it is crazy bright where with past phones I had, impossible to see the screen in such bright sunshine or squinting to see the screen, the Samsung will push the phone to it's 1200 nit max brightness and living in the sunny South Florida it comes in handy. The first phone I've owned that I can see everything vividly in such a scenario and it is noticeable that it does get brighter and pushing to that 1200 nit level than when showing at max setting indoors. But I don't have one of those sensors to give you real numbers to back it up.

I am only guessing that Samsung is still doing this and what the OP is seeing when comparing phones indoors is the max brightness indoors.

Samsung should take note in future flagships... "Flagships absolutely have to be 10% brighter than our lower levels otherwise people will think the lower spec screen is as good or better... even though the flagship has higher resolution, higher refresh rate, etc."

I do get bothered if a screen is not bright enough so I hope Samsung didn't set it's brightness level too low. I haven't actually seen the phone in hand like the OP so I will have to wait until mine gets delivered to see if its acceptable or not. But right now I haven't seen or read complaints really so I think it should be ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaMs94u8UDQ

Bro does anyone here crank their displays to 100? I couldn't even do it it's insanely bright

Last edited:

Liquid_Chaos87

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

Honestly, the Ultra for me is easier on the eyes. To me, there is slightly more saturation on the regular 20. I've noticed on my S10+ that is over-saturated, which can look cool, but it's just not natural.

sojodave

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

The reason the Note 20 looked better is that it is a superior phone than the highly over-rated Ultra...Calm down, I was joking...:)

I believe that his eyes weren't used to the new Gorilla Glass and if they weren't next to each other, you wouldn't notice a difference.

AndroidPurity

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site

Bro does anyone here crank their displays to 100? I couldn't even do it it's insanely bright

Haha, well not inside in a normal lit room, of course not!

Setting it at 100% manual brightness is for testing purposes only.

If you set both phones at 75% brightness, then the standard Note 20 is still more Vivid than the Ultra.

AndroidPurity

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site

I'll do myself a favor then, I won't look at the note 20. What I don't see and know won't bother me. Doesn't matter, no matter what phone is out there, someone will find something to not like.

Lol! That's funny. Definitely true that what you don't know won't make a foreseeable difference to that person.

But what if it's not any more vivid than your current phone? You will notice that when you upgrade from your current phone to your new phone.

The Ultra was only about the same Vividness as my S10+. I was shocked it looked about the same vividness as my S10+ and less vividness than the Standard Note 20 after Samsung's claims that it was their most Vivid display of any Galaxy (on their website it says that).

AndroidPurity

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site

Yeah, that's my thoughts too. I'd like to see them side by side both with WQHD+ 60 HZ display on.

Good point! Except I checked that too during my in store testing. I also tested setting the Ultra to 60hz and it was still less Vivid than the Standard Note 20. I just didn't mention it in my testing results since it was the same results, then I saw it as irrelevant. Although I probably should have mentioned that in my testing to let others know that had been ruled out.

Plus I have a OnePlus 8 Pro (a Samsung display panel) and it's way more Vivid and Bright than the Note 20 Ultra display while I am running the 8 Pro at 120hz and QHD at the same time. So Samsung display panels are definitely physically capable of being more vivid while using 120hz since the Samsung Panel on the OnePlus 8 Pro can do it.

The only difference is Samung seems to be holding back the vividness on the Ultra using software calibration of the display (maybe for battery life, or maybe it's a preproduction bug?), where as OnePlus as calibrated the Samsung display in software to crank out really amazing colors and brightness while still running both 120hz and QHD.

There is a good article about how amazing the color reproduction and contrast is on the OnePlus 8 Pro on XDA, check it out at the link below

https://www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-8-pro-display-analysis-premium-hardware-at-a-cost/amp/

Dylan Raga did a great job doing
precise scientific measurements of all the different display metrics.

AndroidPurity

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site

The Samsung Note 20 Ultra is rated at 1500 nits which is close to being one of the brightest phones available if not brightest. But if it's set up in past Samsungs like my Note 8, you'll never see it pushed to 1500 in probably any indoor scenarios. Indoors the phones max bright will probably be in the 700-800 range done on purpose. Without Adaptive Display on, Samsung will probably set a fixed max somewhere in that range.

I linked a video so show but you have to set Adaptive Display to auto and only then and you're in an outdoor situation where it is crazy bright where with past phones I had, impossible to see the screen in such bright sunshine or squinting to see the screen, the Samsung will push the phone to it's 1200 nit max brightness and living in the sunny South Florida it comes in handy. The first phone I've owned that I can see everything vividly in such a scenario and it is noticeable that it does get brighter and pushing to that 1200 nit level than when showing at max setting indoors. But I don't have one of those sensors to give you real numbers to back it up.

I am only guessing that Samsung is still doing this and what the OP is seeing when comparing phones indoors is the max brightness indoors.

Samsung should take note in future flagships... "Flagships absolutely have to be 10% brighter than our lower levels otherwise people will think the lower spec screen is as good or better... even though the flagship has higher resolution, higher refresh rate, etc."

I do get bothered if a screen is not bright enough so I hope Samsung didn't set it's brightness level too low. I haven't actually seen the phone in hand like the OP so I will have to wait until mine gets delivered to see if its acceptable or not. But right now I haven't seen or read complaints really so I think it should be ok.

You are absolutely correct about the software being programmed to never going up to the 1500 nits unless it's in Adaptive Brightness outside in a Sunny sky. Samsung has probably kept that functionality, which is fine and makes logical sense. Because of course no one needs above about 800 nits indoor even with a brightly lit room.

However that's missing the point of 2 things that my testing in post # 14 was drawing attention to.

1.) If the Note 20 Ultra has a higher brightness than the standard Note 20 (according to Samsung), then why is 100% manual brightness of the Ultra lower than 100% manual brightness of the Standard Note 20? That makes no sense.

2.) The Note 20 Ultra is not only supposed to be the brightest, but also the most vivid in color reproduction. According to Samsung's website on the Note 20 Ultra. Especially of course when in the Vivid display setting mode. So the why is the Standard Note showing more Vivid colors when both are set at the same brightness level?

Those were the points I was making. I do not doubt the Note 20 Ultra is brighter in Sunlight with Adaptive Brightness on. But from testing something is out of whack with the software calibration of the manual brightness and the vivid display mode.

AndroidPurity

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site

The reason the Note 20 looked better is that it is a superior phone than the highly over-rated Ultra...Calm down, I was joking...:)

I believe that his eyes weren't used to the new Gorilla Glass and if they weren't next to each other, you wouldn't notice a difference.

Lew did also wonder during his LewLater podcast (I think on Thursday?) That if it was this new special Victus Gorilla Glass that was kind of tinting the Ultra display to prevent it from being as bright or as Vivid as the Standard Note 20 without that glass.

However if you read my conclusion in post #14 in this thread I came to the conclusion that was not the cause. Because when playing a video with enhanced video mode on, then the Ultra was just as vivid as the Standard Note 20. So that proved the display was capable of being more Vivid with the Victus Glass.

Thank goodness because that would really suck in my opinion if that new glass caused all new phones with that glass to be not as Vivid.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site

I do outside in the summer time, especially when I'm using the camera. Otherwise I'm around 1/3 brightness most of the time.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site

My guess answer to #1... It's a 6.9" display over 6.4" with the option of 120hz... they set the brightness level to where they did taking into account for battery life. One reviewer... that only had the phone maybe a couple of days didn't show great battery life but that's hard to judge with only have a couple of days to play and taking a lot of pics and vids but it didn't make me super happy to hear that so I hope as we have more reviews where they perform a proper test the numbers will be much better.

I don't really think too that they think of something too of the Ultra having have a higher brightness ceiling. I know I always like to compare too when I'm at Best Buy pulling the models I can get to stretch on those curly cords to compare it is an interesting observation.

As for #2... I was actually Googling the definition of vivid just to make sure I had a full understanding of the word and the definition can be just as subjective as what people think is a nice looking screen or image. It can be bright and eye popping color... it can be soft and more natural look.

They way you describe it, you like the former... the bit of oversharpen to give it crispness and possibly a bit of oversaturation. Some like the more natural with the softer look and the colors more to true and both could still be described as vivid... a trend it seems since Google Pixels came out and became a "standard" of what "best" should be and then Apple seems to have followed them tuning towards natural colors. I probably lean a little on your side... I don't want it overdone but I do set my 8 to Adaptive Display over basic or AMOLED cinema so I like it to pop too I guess.

To each their own and that's why we have settings like Screen mode on our phones, and TVs and computer monitors to fit it to every individual.

I do find your observations interesting while we all wait for our phones. We'll see how things change when we all get them and can compare more.

However that's missing the point of 2 things that my testing in post # 14 was drawing attention to.

1.) If the Note 20 Ultra has a higher brightness than the standard Note 20 (according to Samsung), then why is 100% manual brightness of the Ultra lower than 100% manual brightness of the Standard Note 20? That makes no sense.

2.) The Note 20 Ultra is not only supposed to be the brightest, but also the most vivid in color reproduction. According to Samsung's website on the Note 20 Ultra. Especially of course when in the Vivid display setting mode. So the why is the Standard Note showing more Vivid colors when both are set at the same brightness level?

Those were the points I was making. I do not doubt the Note 20 Ultra is brighter in Sunlight with Adaptive Brightness on. But from testing something is out of whack with the software calibration of the manual brightness and the vivid display mode.

AndroidPurity

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
I asked Hayato Huseman (videographer/reviewer here at Android Central) if he could check his Note 20 Ultra device. He did not have a regular Note 20 to compare, but confirmed the Note 20 Ultra is LESS Vivid than the S20 Ultra.

So that means people upgrading from an S20 or S10 will potentially be upgrading to a Less Vivid display in the Note 20 Ultra.

Very interesting and disappointing results for me personally. So now Unbox Therapy, and my in store comparison testing, and Android Central have all confirmed the Note 20 Ultra isn't as Vivid as other Samsung Galaxy phones. I'm hoping an update gets pushed out to resolve this.

Here is the Tweet where Hayato confirms this comparison if anyone wants to check it out.

https://twitter.com/hayatohuseman/status/1292588939195318273?s=19

Last edited:

AndroidPurity

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site

My guess answer to #1... It's a 6.9" display over 6.4" with the option of 120hz... they set the brightness level to where they did taking into account for battery life. One reviewer... that only had the phone maybe a couple of days didn't show great battery life but that's hard to judge with only have a couple of days to play and taking a lot of pics and vids but it didn't make me super happy to hear that so I hope as we have more reviews where they perform a proper test the numbers will be much better.

As for #2... I was actually Googling the definition of vivid just to make sure I had a full understanding of the word and the definition can be just as subjective as what people think is a nice looking screen or image. It can be bright and eye popping color... it can be soft and more natural look.

They way you describe it, you like the former... the bit of oversharpen to give it crispness and possibly a bit of oversaturation. Some like the more natural with the softer look and the colors more to true and both could still be described as vivid... a trend it seems since Google Pixels came out and became a "standard" of what "best" should be and then Apple seems to have followed them tuning towards natural colors. I probably lean a little on your side... I don't want it overdone but I do set my 8 to Adaptive Display over basic or AMOLED cinema so I like it to pop too I guess.

To each their own and that's why we have settings like Screen mode on our phones, and TVs and computer monitors to fit it to every individual.

I do find your observations interesting while we all wait for our phones. We'll see how things change when we all get them and can compare more.

Your point for number 1 is possible but I really hope not. The only reason I don't think that's the case is because Samsung claims it's the most Vivid Galaxy.

Anyways like you said... we shall see when people start releasing reviews, and receiving their phones! I'm just holding off on my preorder before making a final decision until I see some reviews on several professionals take on this. I got 10 days of preorder time.

However check out my post just above this. I asked a Android Central reviewer to check his device and he also confirmed it's not as Vivid as his S20 Ultra. (Same size display).

So that's now 3 Note 20 Ultra devices confirmed as not as Vivid as other Galaxy phones. It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next couple weeks.

AndroidPurity

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
You said it was a software issue, so if it is it will be fixed. This wouldn't be the first time Samsung had to put a update out to fix the display

Yeah I do believe it's software related from my in store testing.

What phone did they have to fix a display with software at release? Just curious. That is reassuring that they will follow through fixing this.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I do believe it's software related from my in store testing.

What phone did they have to fix a display with software at release? Just curious. That is reassuring that they will follow through fixing this.
I'm not sure. It had to deal with the color saturation, think there was to much red. I'm going to guess note 8, but that's just a guess. They did fixes on the s20 ultra camera also.