Removing files from phone

Delphis

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a question for the experienced hackers of these Android phones. Is it possible once you have root on a phone to remove the media files you do not want? I know it's possible to just delete the files in question but I wondered if there is some metadata that needs to be cleared or taken into account and if simply deleting stuff is considered a 'Bad Idea'.

I'm thinking about cleaning out the crappy ringtones I don't like, for example. They take up space and are easily replaced by making your own ones.

I have also wondered about replacing some files, such as the cheesy camera 'shutter' sound. I guess it would be possible to replace them with an empty/silent wav files so as not to make things freak out if a file was not found.

So, what do you think, remove the files from an image and wipe/re-flash or simply just load up a file browser and start cleaning up directly while the phone is on.

Thoughts?

denshigomi

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Ringtones can be directly added/deleted, but I believe the ringtone list is populated on boot, so reboot your phone after you're done.

As for the shutter sound, try renaming the default and see if it freaks out. I'm guessing it will be fine. If it does freak out, put the silent file in it's place and give it another go.

Reactions: Delphis

mmmark111

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Deleting ringtones and such will only free up space on the /system partition. It won't give you more room for apps downloaded from the market. The only way to benefit from this is to push new apps to /system/app. If this is what your intention is, just wipe out your /system/media/audio folder. It will free up about 7mb without any repercussions.

EDIT: Nandroid. Always nandroid.

Reactions: Delphis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
azrae9484