Return to stock without unrooting

UndeadCircus

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I've been searching through the forums but haven't quite found the answer I'm looking for. I'd like to return my Evo back to stock Sense so that I can receive OTA updates from Sprint, however I don't want to lose root access. Do I have to unroot and return all the way in order to receive Sprint OTA updates? Or can I still receive the updates if I'm rooted?

If I'm able to receive the updates, then sweet...Can anyone tell me an instruction guide on how to return everything back to stock except for root access? This is my phone's information:

Software & Hardware Information:
Model number: PC36100
Hardware version: 0004
Android version: 2.2
Kernel version: 2.6.32.17-gee557fd, htc-kernel@and18-2 #15
Build number: myn's Warm TwoPointTwo (RLS 5)
Software number: 3.70.651.1
PRI version: 1.90_003
PRL version: 60675

Bootloader Screen:
SUPERSONIC EVT3 SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT-0.97.0000
MICROP-041f
TOUCH PANEL-ATMELC03-16ac
RADIO-2.15.00.11.19
AUG 19, 2010, 14:29:08

Would I be able to just use the RUU tool to return everything back to the way it was when I first bought it? Keep in mind, I want to KEEP root access, but dump myn's Warm TwoPointTwo rom.

Also, I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I used unrEVOked to root my phone.

UndeadCircus

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Just seems like too much of a hassle to wait for roms to be updated by their developers and when a new release comes out (gingerbread, etc) I don't want to have to wait until a custom rom is updated for it. Not only that, I just can't seem to wrap my head around the radio replacements, etc. I have no idea which radio is for which phone, or which rom, or whatever else. It's just all too ******edly confusing. :p

flyer8493

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
download sprint lovers. very stock rom and it includes all the latest radios. if an ota goes out you would only have to wait a day or 2 at the most for the rooted stock version to come out. but thats just my suggestion.

different question....can you run the ruu without flashing unrevokedson.zip therefore keeping SOFF?

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
download sprint lovers. very stock rom and it includes all the latest radios. if an ota goes out you would only have to wait a day or 2 at the most for the rooted stock version to come out. but thats just my suggestion.

different question....can you run the ruu without flashing unrevokedson.zip therefore keeping SOFF?

That will keep s-off, so to get back you'd need to flash a custom recovery then install a rooted rom.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Just seems like too much of a hassle to wait for roms to be updated by their developers and when a new release comes out (gingerbread, etc) I don't want to have to wait until a custom rom is updated for it. Not only that, I just can't seem to wrap my head around the radio replacements, etc. I have no idea which radio is for which phone, or which rom, or whatever else. It's just all too ******edly confusing. :p

Seeing as how I'm rooted, running Android 2.3.2 and have a honeycomb rom on my phone I have to disagree a bit.

The dev community generally has rooted versions of new updates before they're even officially released by the carriers.

Rule of the thumb with the radios is this, the latest is usually the best. They flash just as easy a rom.

I would say since you already took the plunge you might as well experiment with a few different ROMs before going "back to the dark side".

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiconnolly