Returned GNex, back to DROID

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Crap, been running axiom and I retract my statement about the "magic" the iOS UI has, because this ROM is strait speed with smooth transitions. No stuttering. Damn, this phone and OS are still a baby.....holy hell is it going to get better for a very long time.

sjd2246

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm happy with the GNex on verizon, a little disappointed from the battery, on either 3G or 4G but haven't had signal or call quality issues. I get about 8 hours with a full charge with moderate use. But I keep an extra battery on me so I don't complain, nothings perfect. OS is great, significant improvement.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

MissMe

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Thought I was the only one. ICS is beautiful and fun to play with but the fact that I tried and failed to make calls coupled with a myriad of other issues makes me wonder if the Gnex will survive the weekend with me.

SO disappointed since I watched the clock waiting for this release

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Crap, been running axiom and I retract my statement about the "magic" the iOS UI has, because this ROM is strait speed with smooth transitions. No stuttering. Damn, this phone and OS are still a baby.....holy hell is it going to get better for a very long time.

is axiom that much of an upgrade over stock? I was thinking about flashing but wasn't sure.

BizzyGeek

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
My complaint is more about it just disconnecting and reestablishing the connection, taking 2-5+ minutes to reestablish the connection. Sometimes it even shows full bars, then I try to do something and it says I don't have a network connection and then the bars disappear. This may be an issue switching towers, my phone's radio (tried leaked radios as well) or something else entirely. It is getting to the point where I want to exchange for a different nexus and see if I still have the issue. It is very annoying and happens to me constantly.

I have the same issue, gonna try a different Nexus tomorrow.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I think the reception issues might be software related. After 2 weeks of spotty service with the GN I decided to re-flash stock 4.0.2 before exchanging it for another unit. After 2 days of use, my initial impression is that it FIXED my reception issues. The phone now appears to be performing on par with my old phone and 4g appears to be handing off to 3g as it should. While driving on family trip yesterday the GN lost data just once and I was able to confirm that my wife's Fascinate lost service as well. The rest of the time it was seamlessly using both 3 and 4g.

I'm going to see how it works the rest of the week. Hopefully it continues to impress.

CBMC

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I think the reception issues might be software related. After 2 weeks of spotty service with the GN I decided to re-flash stock 4.0.2 before exchanging it for another unit. After 2 days of use, my initial impression is that it FIXED my reception issues. The phone now appears to be performing on par with my old phone and 4g appears to be handing off to 3g as it should. While driving on family trip yesterday the GN lost data just once and I was able to confirm that my wife's Fascinate lost service as well. The rest of the time it was seamlessly using both 3 and 4g.

I'm going to see how it works the rest of the week. Hopefully it continues to impress.

I also had problems and exchanged the phone on 12/30. Haven't had many problems since then. I don't know if it is the new phone or if it is something on verizon's side that they fixed. Before I got the new phone I would experience data drops and signal drops in areas with a strong signal. That hasn't happened to me since I got the new phone. It still takes a long time to hand off between 3g and 4g but this is normal and doesn't bother me. I am on a 4.0.3 aosp rom now, and was on a 4.0.3 aosp rom before, so not much else has changed. Curious to hear from some of the other people that were having data drops...makes me wonder if it was something on Verizon's end specific to this phone? It does seem like some of the signal issue threads have died down.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I also had problems and exchanged the phone on 12/30. Haven't had many problems since then. I don't know if it is the new phone or if it is something on verizon's side that they fixed. Before I got the new phone I would experience data drops and signal drops in areas with a strong signal. That hasn't happened to me since I got the new phone. It still takes a long time to hand off between 3g and 4g but this is normal and doesn't bother me. I am on a 4.0.3 aosp rom now, and was on a 4.0.3 aosp rom before, so not much else has changed. Curious to hear from some of the other people that were having data drops...makes me wonder if it was something on Verizon's end specific to this phone? It does seem like some of the signal issue threads have died down.

I mentioned the above in another thread. I am noticing things seem to be better on my phone too. Maybe these phones are a little bit more sensitive to problems that VZW's network is having. Maybe it has something to do with the problems that caused the network to go down over the past few weeks.

Akuma

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Here's to whatever comes out next with all the glitches fixed.

I noticed you've already come too the conclusion that your next phone which has yet to be developed, and certainly not announced will be released with no bugs. That's a first. Grats...
P.s. I don't have any issues with my Nexus, not one ;)

CBMC

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I mentioned the above in another thread. I am noticing things seem to be better on my phone too. Maybe these phones are a little bit more sensitive to problems that VZW's network is having. Maybe it has something to do with the problems that caused the network to go down over the past few weeks.

The funny thing is that the lady at verizon said that my phone was the first nexus she had returned. She also said she hadn't heard about any network problems with the phone. I am leaning towards Verizon's lte network being the culprit, (though this phone definitely exaggerated the problems compared to other lte devices) but it is hard for me to say since I got a new device around the same time the problem started getting better.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm starting to think this after reading how great some peoples gnex's are. I'm going to try to convince my brother into replacing his cause me buying one is a risk I don't want to take...

Mine has been one of the great ones. Really good battery life and when I am in a strong LTE area great signal strength. Live in 3g area for the next few weeks. But it does seem like some people are experiencing some bad stuff. Take em back people. And also wait for updates. Bleeding edge has its drawbacks too.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thought I was the only one. ICS is beautiful and fun to play with but the fact that I tried and failed to make calls coupled with a myriad of other issues makes me wonder if the Gnex will survive the weekend with me.

SO disappointed since I watched the clock waiting for this release

Any time you are purchasing a brand new piece of tech with a brand new OS you should not only expect hiccups and bugs but anticipate them.

Personally I love my GN and ICS.

Last edited:

crazed_z06

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
This is my third 4G LTE phone.. Had the Thunderbolt and Bionic previously.

This easily smashes both of them. Easily. Battery life is on par. it is what it is when it comes to these LTE phones. Im confident it will get better. On the Bionic and TB, the battery got MUCH better after a couple weeks. Im in San Diego and havent had calls drop. The call quality is awesome. The data connection is always there. The meter reads lower than it did on my Bionic, but the connectivity is the same.

Reactions: Bluehair62

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asfdefsa02