Returned GNex, back to DROID

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Apparently too many do not care about not having an sd card look how well the iphone sells....

And that confuses me. I can understand the big deal about the iPhone back when the original came out. It was a first, yeah you had your Palm's and the Samsung touchscreen Windows Mobile phones out there, but the iPhone was different.

Now it doesn't make sense. There are so many limitations with the iPhone compared to all of these other phones (even when comparing to the Nexus and the Razr) that it really doesn't make sense that the iPhone sells so well. I guess if you are on AT&T the iPhone can hold it's own pretty well, but why in the world would someone get a Sprint or Verizon iPhone 4 or 4S?

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, neither does my Galaxy Nexus, just sayin... :p

I would hope the Rezound wouldn't have issues, they've been able to perfect things with the Thunderbolt. You don't think the Rezound will have some bugs here and there when they update it to ICS? Good luck with that. I had the Thunderbolt and since it was their first LTE phone there were issues.

Guess what the Galaxy Nexus is? It's Google's first LTE phone and their first ICS phone. Now it's not Samsung's first LTE phone, however Samsung just got the Charge to become a decent phone after it's last update and guess when that happened? Right before the Galaxy Nexus was released.

The RZ has huge flaws and hence why I passed. It is an old android platform with hardware buttons and runs sense. Two huge drawbacks. Plus it stuttered as well. I say if you like a Droid" droooiiiiiiiiiid" if you like third party devices then fine. I don't understand the effort put into trying to deceive the world that the nexus is anything but memorizing futurist and sexy! Hail the Google gods! Thanks for your post WDA

Reactions: 2010BmwM3

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
And that confuses me. I can understand the big deal about the iPhone back when the original came out. It was a first, yeah you had your Palm's and the Samsung touchscreen Windows Mobile phones out there, but the iPhone was different.

Now it doesn't make sense. There are so many limitations with the iPhone compared to all of these other phones (even when comparing to the Nexus and the Razr) that it really doesn't make sense that the iPhone sells so well. I guess if you are on AT&T the iPhone can hold it's own pretty well, but why in the world would someone get a Sprint or Verizon iPhone 4 or 4S?

The iPhone is actually smooth giving the end user the "magic" feeling. It doesn't choke like android. That is why. Android is more powerful just not magically fluid leaving something to desire in the UI. As far as choosing networks......gotta get what works personally for you. Bleh.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone is actually smooth giving the end user the "magic" feeling. It doesn't choke like android. That is why. Android is more powerful just not magically fluid leaving something to desire in the UI.
This.

Apple succeeds because of the polish and brand name and the fact that their user base is not demanding. All they care about is that basic stuff works well and is pretty-shiny.

Not saying that is a bad thing. My roommate has an iPhone 3Gs and it does what he needs to do (yes, even on AT&T lol). If you will not miss the features the iPhone doesnt have, can live with it's limitations, and are unbothered by the cost, it is actually a great phone. And I do not mean that sarcastically at all.

VideoEngineerAJS

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone is actually smooth giving the end user the "magic" feeling. It doesn't choke like android. That is why. Android is more powerful just not magically fluid leaving something to desire in the UI. As far as choosing networks......gotta get what works personally for you. Bleh.

Well I can understand with the network, I just meant as more of a limitation aspect. I mean when Apple comes out with an iPhone with a 4 inch screen and LTE, then I will honestly think the iPhone will be a much better phone and a viable option for many more people. I just don't understand the fascination with it for people not on AT&T because of the speed limitations.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The difference with the Nexus, is that Google actually works on these and fixes them..and this device will actually receive updates in a timely manner.

Let's be honest here, we don't know what updates the Nexus will receive and from who, we don't know how timely they'll be and we don't know how far we'll get with the worst issue, reception. Some updates will come from Google and I'm sure others like the reception issue will come from VZW.

So just as you felt it was premature for someone to return their phone, it's also a bit premature to start applauding updates we haven't yet received. ;)

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The only issue with reception I've had is that I don't stay on 4G when I'm in my house even though I did on my Thunderbolt. However, that's not a huge deal to me as I use WiFi anyway since my internet is 18Mbps and I'm going to upgrade it today to 30Mbps. Phone calls have been really good and when I get 4G signal, I still get good speeds.

Yeah, as far as phone calls go, the clarity is very good and I've yet to drop even one call.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
This.

Apple succeeds because of the polish and brand name and the fact that their user base is not demanding. All they care about is that basic stuff works well and is pretty-shiny.

Not saying that is a bad thing. My roommate has an iPhone 3Gs and it does what he needs to do (yes, even on AT&T lol). If you will not miss the features the iPhone doesnt have, can live with it's limitations, and are unbothered by the cost, it is actually a great phone. And I do not mean that sarcastically at all.

I can't agree more.......

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Well I can understand with the network, I just meant as more of a limitation aspect. I mean when Apple comes out with an iPhone with a 4 inch screen and LTE, then I will honestly think the iPhone will be a much better phone and a viable option for many more people. I just don't understand the fascination with it for people not on AT&T because of the speed limitations.

I hear ya, but honestly, my 4s flys on verizon.....just flys.....I have zero desire for anything but LTE.

2010BmwM3

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Why because I'm honest about my experience? Like I said before, there is much that I love about the phone, but it's not perfect. Maybe it's working for you, that's great, but don't get mad when people don't have the same view as you. It's a phone. Don't take it so personally if other people don't feel the same way about it as you. And for the record I've probably posted more honest, positive, humors and helpful replies on this forum than negative so don't try to label me as a whiner.

Do you even own a Verizon Galaxy Nexus anymore? I don't take it personally, but it is annoying seeing someone post about the same thing again and again. It's a 2 week old phone with a completely new OS, quit crying.

ohiomoto

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
Yes I own a Galaxy Nexus and a Fascinate with ICS on it. I'm not posting the same thing again and again. As a matter of fact I've posted about a few issues and haven't even bothered posting about several other issues because it's a "new" OS. If it bothers you so much, move along and get over it.

Reactions: rsb148 and Ken7

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site

It's the Apple 'mystique' that so many fall for and that's always eluded me. I've never been wowed by their computers (underpowered and overpriced relative to a PC) and the IPhone's time has come & gone IMO. Yes it's a solid phone with a great camera, but if you've had one (I've had 3), it's really a 'been there done that' kind of thing.

Redheaddroid

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
My brother and I got our gnex phones the same day at the same place. Mine has been wrought with problems, his has been great. I am back to my sgs2 and couldn't be happier. I don't typically mind being a beta tester, and have always been an early adopter, but there are certain basic things the phone has to do in my life in order for me to function, and the gnex/verizon network wasn't cutting it at the moment. To each his own.

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I always like to be on the latest OS. I love ics and it seems to be the most solid android OS that I've experienced thus far. I'm sure something better will be out soon. I just wish the charge had ics coming its way. :mad::rolleyes:

soogriff

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I've had an iPhone4 and a Blackberry 9930 before the Galaxy Nexus and I love this device. Despite varying results for battery life. Some days it lasts 12 hours on a charge, other days, it can barely make it 6. It's a fun phone. Don't think I'll ever pick up my BB again. And I don't even miss my iPhone4. I'm a happy customer. I can forgive strange glitches here and there. Example, the first few days, my calendar app kept closing down every time I tried to enter an appointment. Hasn't given me any problems recently. Gotta roll with the punches. I don't expect perfection right out of the gate as far as OS is concerned.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I stand by that statement. I just came back to a Droid charge from an iPhone4. Both have pros and cons but bottom line. I missed android and I'm glad to be back :D

I stand by that too. My daughter has my old 4s now. Perfect for her because it is simple. I could have gave her the nexus, but I get the best device because I pay the bill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majd27t