Rezound vs Galaxy Nexus

lakaw

May 5, 2011
Visit site
Nothing against the Rezound specifically, I just don't understand how anyone would consider any HTC phone. Every single Android phone they ever made has the worst battery life out of all the manufacturers. And yet, the forums are filled with surprised complaints that they can't get more than 5 or 6 hours on a charge unless they turn off all the things that we buy smartphones for.

I will be the the first to admit I'm no expert when it comes to Android devices, but I'm getting pretty darn good battery life on the Rezound...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ezound-thoughts-android-noob.html#post1427267

Last edited:

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Nothing against the Rezound specifically, I just don't understand how anyone would consider any HTC phone. Every single Android phone they ever made has the worst battery life out of all the manufacturers. And yet, the forums are filled with surprised complaints that they can't get more than 5 or 6 hours on a charge unless they turn off all the things that we buy smartphones for.

Respectfully. while the Thunderbolt definitely falls into your hypothesis, the DImc1 only did until it got Froyo and the Inspire as I understand it doesn't.

Regardless of the past HTC has made great strides in that area. The Rezound on the stock battery gets better battery life by a factor of at least two over my Thunderbolt with the extended one. Yes the TBolt is getting old and has a lot of stuff on it but even factoring that in Rezound gets great battery life. I have the extended battery for it (50% OFF sale) because I expected to need it but honestly have only used it once.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Respectfully. while the Thunderbolt definitely falls into your hypothesis, the DImc1 only did until it got Froyo and the Inspire as I understand it doesn't.

Regardless of the past HTC has made great strides in that area. The Rezound on the stock battery gets better battery life by a factor of at least two over my Thunderbolt with the extended one. Yes the TBolt is getting old and has a lot of stuff on it but even factoring that in Rezound gets great battery life. I have the extended battery for it (50% OFF sale) because I expected to need it but honestly have only used it once.

That's awesome news. HTC phones always ran well, but I thought that Sense must be sucking the life out of the battery. Glad to hear they're doing it better on the Rezound.

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
Sense is a HUGE resource hog. After installing an AOSP ROM on my Inc my battery life doubled. I say the biggest reason for HTC's terrible battery life reputation is their software. Anyone willing to root shouldn't have a big problem with most HTC phones.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site

You can go into almost every phone forum and find battery issues. It's not just HTC.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
That's awesome news. HTC phones always ran well, but I thought that Sense must be sucking the life out of the battery. Glad to hear they're doing it better on the Rezound.

I've had the phone for I think two weeks now, but have only killed the battery once. I work in a place with signal issues and have managed to kill batteries on Blackberries in the past and thus far this phone has performed well.

ManBearPig618

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
You can go into almost every phone forum and find battery issues. It's not just HTC.

This. Any new release will have an "Official Battery Life Thread" where at least a portion of the early adopters will be unimpressed/having problems with battery life. Especially for LTE phones...it's just a fact of life. We're at a point right now where "good battery life" LTE phones are able to last through a day with periods of heavy to moderate usage throughout. Some phones will be better than others (random phones like the TB will blow) but no LTE phones are going to blow anyone away with their battery life anytime soon.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

HTC is just usually a little worse in the battery dept than the rest. But I do agree every phone has battery issues because people feel the phone should last 2 days with super heavy use and cannot fathom why the phone dies when they never put it down.

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

Mr. Poppalopolis

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
My friend's tbolt had some serious problems with the battery. It would sometimes only make it a few hours with low use. He had it replaced for various reasons and his new phone had much better battery life. I've heard pretty bad things about that phone and am wondering if maybe a large batch had faulty batteries or something. Unless people leave apps open that constantly use GPS or keep the phone awake I don't understand how anyone gets less than 8 hours even with heavy use on most phones.

SpaceHippie

Journeyman
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I will add though, i think the Nexus will have a higher dev community which is why if it launches soon, i'll probably return my Rezound. As much as i love it, im naturally getting bored already and would like to see what gets cooked up for the Nexus. Im still kinda irked by the camera on the Nexus but it's not something that would ruin the phone. the processor is 1.5 but underclocked so that's fine as well. So it's all about release date.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I will add though, i think the Nexus will have a higher dev community which is why if it launches soon, i'll probably return my Rezound. As much as i love it, im naturally getting bored already and would like to see what gets cooked up for the Nexus. Im still kinda irked by the camera on the Nexus but it's not something that would ruin the phone. the processor is 1.5 but underclocked so that's fine as well. So it's all about release date.

That stands to reason since it is a developent phone but that does not mean that the Rezound wont get ROMs which it certainly will, just as the Thunderbolt and DInc did before it.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
That stands to reason since it is a developent phone but that does not mean that the Rezound wont get ROMs which it certainly will, just as the Thunderbolt and DInc did before it.

Once they get the bootloader unlocked that is. Which currently nobody knows how long that will take for the rezound.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Once they get the bootloader unlocked that is. Which currently nobody knows how long that will take for the rezound.

People say the same thing about the Thunderbolt, Bionic, and every other "locked" device and it never seems to take that long. The device has only been out for about two weeks I believe. Be patient. :)

DavidNJ

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Re: Rezound vs Galaxy Nexus: My Take

Screen: The super AMOLED has a greater dynamic range and more contrast. However, moving the buttons to the screen also steals some of that real estate. Won't the Rezound have more pixels displaying books, newspapers, etc., anything that doesn't hide the buttons?

Speed: Benchmarks don't show impressive results for the TI chipset. Actually, all seem slower than the Exynos in the Galaxy SII. Benchmarks published by Engaget listed on page 4 or so of this thread show the Rezound quicker in single threaded applications. The multi-thread advantage of the Samsung Galaxy Nexus may be due to Ice Cream Sandwich, which the Rezound will have soon.

Ice Cream Sandwich. Various benchmarks fail. The Rezound will have it in just a few months, it probably won't be stable for long before that. Beyond that Samsung is notorious for not having upgrades while HTC is usually pretty good about it. Will the Galaxy Nexus still be running Android 4.0 in two years?

Swype Keyboard: My favorite by far. Samsung licenses it, HTC doesn't. However, you can't download the betas to Samsung, you can to HTC. My wife's Incredible has 3.26, my Fascinate has 2.0. So the advantage may be to the Rezound; however, can you be sure that HTC will continuen to make the "betas" available?

Camera: Initial Galaxy Nexus results have been mixed at best. That isn't good; a good camera usually shows its stuff right away.

Near Field Communications: Its been in Japan for over 5 years with minimal impact. Doubt if it will be that much ahead in the US in 2 years.

Beats Audio: if you listen to music on your phone. Not an issue for me, I'm not running a wire to my phone.

Size/weight: Size so close not an issue. Weight gives a little advantage to the Samsung.

Net: my heart says Samsung, my head says Rezound.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Rezound vs Galaxy Nexus: My Take

Ice Cream Sandwich. Various benchmarks fail. The Rezound will have it in just a few months, it probably won't be stable for long before that. Beyond that Samsung is notorious for not having upgrades while HTC is usually pretty good about it. Will the Galaxy Nexus still be running Android 4.0 in two years?

No, The upgrades on this device are provided by and pushed via Google not Samsung. Any other Samsung deice I share your concern about but the GNex will be the first device to get each update for at least a year perhaps two (though the original Nexus is now at the end of that so two is stretching it). Verizon version MAY get it slightly behind the international GSM version (witness the Xoom 3.2 upgrade) but if so not that far.

KneeDragr

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
I saw the Rezound this weekend at Sam's club and was pretty impressed. The HD screen looks amazing in a reasonably small package. I say reasonably small because I held my Samsung Fascinate up next to it and they are nearly the same size. The Rezound's smaller bezel makes up for its larger screen. The phone was very responsive and the Sense UI looks gorgeous at that high res. However my Super AMOLED screen was noticeably brighter with darker blacks. If I was into listening to audio on my phone I would probably get it.

kidserious

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
People say the same thing about the Thunderbolt, Bionic, and every other "locked" device and it never seems to take that long. The device has only been out for about two weeks I believe. Be patient. :)

The bionic is still locked. And people are forgetting how much thicker the rezound is than the nexus. The nexus is just a much sexier device.

Meh

orlanka

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
So all in all, no clear winner after reading all 24 pages of comments (thankfully my boss is in a meeting).

I almost felt like I was in an iPhone vs Android forum.

Once you sign off with 'meh' anything you've said prior to that gets discredited because I don't trust the opinions of 16 year old girls.

There are two types of build quality: how it feels in the hand and then there's hardware. These should be treated as two separate topics.

How many of you have dropped your phone in such a way that it had the potential to shatter? Just curious.

Camera does make a difference, the argument that it's just a phone is null and void, if it's just a phone, who cares about the software, processors, storage, etc.

I'm glad no one really brought up Beats. Dre should stick to producing.

Does a review done by AC, BGR, Engaget, and the rest really matter beyond your own personal opinion?

meh

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Once you sign off with 'meh' anything you've said prior to that gets discredited because I don't trust the opinions of 16 year old girls.

Too funny! That's the same thing I thought when I read that. I really wish people would act mature when on a forum like this. This is something that you would see on a video game forum.

You would think teenagers would have better things to do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I saw the Rezound this weekend at Sam's club and was pretty impressed. The HD screen looks amazing in a reasonably small package. I say reasonably small because I held my Samsung Fascinate up next to it and they are nearly the same size. The Rezound's smaller bezel makes up for its larger screen. The phone was very responsive and the Sense UI looks gorgeous at that high res. However my Super AMOLED screen was noticeably brighter with darker blacks. If I was into listening to audio on my phone I would probably get it.

Backlighting adjustments make the Rezound look comparable to Samsungs super Amoled screens, imo. SA only wins decisively if oversaturated colors are a must have selling feature on a touchscreen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bethel