[ROM]3.30.11 Clean Continuum DL17

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Normally I am a Fascinate guy, but I just received a text from my Mom saying that my little brother bricked his Continuum after rooting it. I won't be able to talk to him until tonight after his track meet, so I am trying to prepare now. It would seem that alot of the rooting process is the same between the two phones, depending on what exactly he did, I think I will have him ODIN CWM to the phone and load Adry's ROM to his SD card. I may be looking for some advice over here in the next couple of days.

Is there an ODIN package that he can flash to return to stock, or maybe an all-inclusive like the ones for the Fascinate?

I thank you in advance, this has been the most helpful forum!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Normally I am a Fascinate guy, but I just received a text from my Mom saying that my little brother bricked his Continuum after rooting it. I won't be able to talk to him until tonight after his track meet, so I am trying to prepare now. It would seem that alot of the rooting process is the same between the two phones, depending on what exactly he did, I think I will have him ODIN CWM to the phone and load Adry's ROM to his SD card. I may be looking for some advice over here in the next couple of days.

Is there an ODIN package that he can flash to return to stock, or maybe an all-inclusive like the ones for the Fascinate?

I thank you in advance, this has been the most helpful forum!

well there is no full odin package, somewhere i have a version that includes everything but the modem. I cant imagine what he did to brick his phone during rooting. flashing cwm will work but he will need to put the update.zip on his sdcard which will require a card reader. At worst ill ask Adrynalyne or imnuts to make a package if my older one doesnt work. Ill keep an eye out for you tonight if im not to swamped at work. and any other details about the "brick" will help but post it in my rooting thread as i dont want to clutter Adrynalynes thread unless it is rom related.

sytech55

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
no but on reboot it will take several minutes to rebuild.

also i fixed that part in the post i did, power button on stock recovery shouldnt do anything im pretty sure it was the menu button to make the apply sdcard:update.zip but im sure someone can verify that for me.
DroidXcon:
You're right about the Menu key, not the Power button I was talking about.
Thanks for clearing the air.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
DroidXcon:
You're right about the Menu key, not the Power button I was talking about.
Thanks for clearing the air.

Thank you for verifying that, but if you are in clockwork then yes power button is used for selecting.

Ok im off to work if anyone needs help post and i'll get back to you ASAP

tramai

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Okay so I'm a complete noob (obviously, first post :p) and I reaaally appriciate the walk through posted earlier. I'm probably going to do this tomorrow, but I have a couple questions first.

1.) Will this mess up the phone part of my phone in any way at all? I mean I'm still going to be able to make calls etc using my phone as normal, right? Not through google voice etc?

2.) What are the advatages/disadvantages of me doing this? Just that it runs faster and it removes all teh bloatware etc?

3.) Can I just remove the bloatware myself using some program and without completely installing a new ROM or not?

4.) If I do this, is there any way to get my phone back to fully working stock form? I mean Verizon is obviously going to tell me to go screw myself if I go to upgrade this phone when my contract is up and it's a different ROM right? Lol.

Thank you for all of your help. I hope I can help in my own ways with the development for this phone as I honestly LOVE it.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
1.) Will this mess up the phone part of my phone in any way at all? I mean I'm still going to be able to make calls etc using my phone as normal, right? Not through google voice etc?.
No it should not effect the modem/radio of the phone, worst comes to worst there is a modem that is not the stock one but it will def get your phone working but if you follow the directions this is highly unlikely

2.) What are the advatages/disadvantages of me doing this? Just that it runs faster and it removes all teh bloatware etc?
it not only removes verizon and samsung bloatware it adds alot of custom touches that make the experience really nice this is still a beta version and since i donated my phone to get this rom made i havnt been able to test it out but if its anything like the fascinate versions it will be great

3.) Can I just remove the bloatware myself using some program and without completely installing a new ROM or not?
you could do it yourself using root explorer but its kind of tedious, but there is another rom in this forum that you just flash and its a debloated version of stock everything is done for you

4.) If I do this, is there any way to get my phone back to fully working stock form? I mean Verizon is obviously going to tell me to go screw myself if I go to upgrade this phone when my contract is up and it's a different ROM right? Lol.
yes there are odin files that can get you very close to stock,,,but honestly almost everyone i have heard that have taken their phones in modified get it replaced without many questions if any at all

newstang

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, spoke too soon, went back and read posts. One problem. I only have a Mac and have Vmware fusion, will odin work with this?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, spoke too soon, went back and read posts. One problem. I only have a Mac and have Vmware fusion, will odin work with this?

If you are able to use Odin follow the directions i posted earlier

Please do not use rom manager!!!!
if you have flashed rom manager, please go to your SD card and delete the file called update.zip

then download the rom from the 1st post and place it on your sd card, on the root of it (meaning not inside any folders)

Also download the new update.zip you will need HERE also place this on the root of your SD card

then follow these directions

Installing with odin:
  1. Download and intsall the Fascinate drivers found HERE <-ignore, but these drivers should work for continuum aswell
  2. Download the ODIN file HERE
  3. If your phone is plugged into your computer, unplug it now.
  4. If your phone is not powered down, power it down now.
  5. Remove battery from phone.
  6. Launch ODIN on PC.
  7. Plug USB cable into phone.
  8. Plug your Fascinate into the PC via USB cable.
  9. Press and hold the volume-down key.
  10. You should now see a gigantic yellow triangle and your phone will be in download mode. You can now release the volume key.
  11. Click on the PDA button in ODIN. Do NOT click the Phone button.
  12. Choose the file cwm_recovery_test4_adryn.tar which can be downloaded HERE
  13. When all the above conditions have been met hit the Start button
For those of you who are visual learners like me i have a write up of the above Odin process with pictures HERE

After the above process is done DO NOT turn your phone on (if you do you will need to flash with odin again)

Entering clockwork recovery
Place the battery back in the phone
With the phone off press and hold Volume up+Volume down+Power button.
Samsung logo will flash twice, after the second one let go of the buttons.
This will lead you into blue recovery, with the volume keys scroll to
apply sdcard:update.zip then hit the menu button.
this will lead you into clockwork

Once in clockwork you use power button to make selections

Wiping Cache partition:
This will not erase any contacts or apps.
This should be done everytime a new rom is flashed.
If caught in a force close loop it is usually a good idea to go back and wipe cache again

To initiate a Cache partition wipe from clockwork
wipecacheproc.png

********************************************************************************************************
Wiping Dalvik Cache:
This will not erase any contacts or apps.
Although not necessary to be done before every rom it is a good idea to wipe.
Dalvik cache can grow very large the more apps you had before flashing the new rom
the longer it will take to boot the new one as it will build upon the already large Dalvik cache.
So making it a habit to wipe dalvik cache can only help you .

To initiate a Dalvik cache wipe from clockwork
dalvikwipeproc.png

To flash the rom follow the directions below using the power button to select items
tw_clock is just an example , use the rom you placed on your sdcard instead... if it asks you yes or no to proceed scroll down and select yes
unlike the picture below i believe the back button instead of the search button is used to go back, If anyone has input on key configuration let me know since i dont have a continuum to test this on.

zipflashproc-1.png

newstang

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
thanks!, but just to clarify, do I unzip the folders when i put it on the sd card? or leave it as a zip.

Do I run cwm_recovery_test4_adryn.tar instead of the DL17 or before it or not at all?
sorry for being neeeewbiiiieee

newstang

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
ok, did everything above, when i go into recovery mode after the second flash the samsung logo just slowly fades then comes back then fades again. no other screen, any ideas?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
thanks!, but just to clarify, do I unzip the folders when i put it on the sd card? or leave it as a zip.

Do I run cwm_recovery_test4_adryn.tar instead of the DL17 or before it or not at all?
sorry for being neeeewbiiiieee

Not sure where you are getting the DL17 as in the last post i sent i didnt mention anything about DL17, nor did i say to unzip anything so it should go on your SD card as is

ok, did everything above, when i go into recovery mode after the second flash the samsung logo just slowly fades then comes back then fades again. no other screen, any ideas?

did you flash the tar file with battery out, then pull the cord after it was done, put the battery back in then do the 3 button combo

its official. I have a brick !

Your phone doesnt turn on, you cant see any signs of life? no samsung logo, no recovery, no picture of a phone...exclamation point....computer?

did your battery have a charge before you started all of this ?
by no means should you have a brick nothing in any of these procedures could cause a true brick. maybe a difficult situation but not a brick

newstang

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I flashed it with the bat out, Then unplugged, put bat in held the up,down, power for 2 flashes, then it just shows samsung logo, and loops into a fade. I tried to re flash, everything goes through ( passed), then I even tried to power up, same thing fading loop. Right now im pluged into a pc with the yellow triangle awaiting for further instructions :)