ARCHIVED: [ROM] Reborn ROM v2.2.4 - 7/24/11

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimatssf

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I have been used this ROM for couple of months. Now, let me talk about what I feel.

first of all, I have another optimus S and with a YOUMOM ROM on it. and that is the only other ROM I have used except the stock ROM. My experience is kind of limited.

Now back to this Reborn ROM:
I like the color of the screen. I noticed there is an obvious improvement of my screen. it is more vivid and colorful compare to Stock and MOM.

It is not surprise if this rom could consume more power, considering the better look of screen. however, I myself barely noticed a battery difference after I changed the ROM. I do feel YourMOM Rom save energy. But YourMOM screen contract seems lousy.

I like the home screen, you can put your own shortcut into the top five button. It makes my screen much cleaner.

I also like the addons, hot spot, es file, reboot on power button etc. even though i noticed the airplane mode was at on status after every reboot.

however, I don't like the remap of the key layout. It puts the home button screen wakeup away. And I don't understand since there is no new function was assigned to it. the side button was remapped from search to redial, which makes sense since you add a new button there.

I have tried to remap the key layout back, failed. then I have found this thread and installed back the stock keylayout.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...hacks/96770-mod-remap-your-hardware-keys.html

this is not the end of the story.
one day I found the bluetooth button was also changed. I have tried reborm, stock and shell key layouts in above thread, all of them changed the bluetooth button. There are two bluetooth function, active the voice command and redial the phone.the redial function was still there but the activation voice command was lost. it may be very useful if you drive a car, toggle up (who doesn't), and your phone is in your pant's pocket. If anybody has a solution to it, please let me know.

generally speaking, I like this ROM, mainly due to the colorful look of screen. But i am looking for a way to get the missing blue tooth button back. BTW, my same blue tooth have been used on this and 3 other type of bluetooth headset been tried. I am firm on this.

Last edited:

Seditec

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Okay so I have been using this rom for about a month now and I was woundering if there was a way to enable the battery. Fix

RazzMaTazz

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Finally rooted and flashed my Optimus S after a 1.25 years. Very nice ROM. I'm not a fan of splitting apps from downloaded apps, but other than that... PERFECT. Thanks!!!

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Finally rooted and flashed my Optimus S after a 1.25 years. Very nice ROM. I'm not a fan of splitting apps from downloaded apps, but other than that... PERFECT. Thanks!!!
I found the LG Launcher rather limiting and boring, even though it was better than stock. You might try some of the alternatives to find something you prefer. Zeam Launcher + Reborn ROM + some UI tweaks just made this device for me. Zeam auto organizes your apps, not separating by downloaded. You can have it place shortcuts on your homescreen for newly downloaded apps, if you like.

Just to mention it, you can remove the LG Home app once you've found a suitable alternative and are committed to it.

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
What UI tweaks made it for you?
Trying to remember... I made a few adjustments to Zeam defaults, such as homescreen density to 5 x 4, status bar hiding, swipe actions...

I applied a NoIQ mod to disable Carrier IQ Agent...

I changed the battery indicator to something more colorful by uploading my framework-res to UOT Kitchen.

Changed the key config so that Home and Search wake the device (Reborn only allows power button by default).

Changed the system font.

Using the ICS clock.
Using the Gauge Battery Widget
Using QuickPic instead of lame Gallery3D.
Using Hacker's Keyboard instead of HTC IME or Swype.
Subbed in PowerAMP for the Music player. -- Great lockscreen, widgets, etc.

That's all I remember right now.

pilot03

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Excellent tips and ideas for the app substitutions. I use half of those apps already. QuickPic is magic for your photos and PowerAMP a very good app for your music needs on the Optimus. I use SwiftKey for my keyboard needs but Hacker's keyboard has got me interested for some odd reason. I used the mod for a update of the default theme to get NoIQ. Fancy Widgets for my clock and battery icon widget needs. Great minds think alike. I'll need to play more witht the Zeam tweaks to get it just right for me.

Thanks and feel free to add anything you remember. :)

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks and feel free to add anything you remember. :)
I'm glad you appreciate the tips and have already found some yourself. SInce you mention it, I have two more things to share, one remembered and one just discovered tonight:

1. Ghost Commander. This ROM is missing a file manager and this one is great! If you tinker it's a must have. It's a fast single directory browser in portrait mode, a dual pane source-destination manager in landscape. Comes with all the root options included for FREE, you just have to enable them. Less than 1MB when running.

2. GPS Mod. GPS always seems to take forever to lock on. This fixes it by simply changing the GPS and time servers that Reborn inherits from stock. Looks like this should work for any ROM-baseband combo with a stock GPS config, too. :)

pilot03

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Great find on Ghost Commander. My new favorite and will use it from now on. I was reading up on the GPS Mod also. Excellent ideas and good stuff to be sharing or writing about to let more people realize what's out there to use.

Herduc

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Hotspot?

I flashed this rom today from stock rom zvc. This is my first time I do this so I was very careful doing it step by step. I had to update to zvd before applying Reborn rom.
Seems to be working good, phone screen looks good and it seem very responsive.

I have a question though, and sorry if somebody already posted this since I did not see it.
How do I turn the HotSpot so I can tether ? I installed foxfi but I cant get it to work so far.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,

Herduc

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Trying to remember... I made a few adjustments to Zeam defaults, such as homescreen density to 5 x 4, status bar hiding, swipe actions...

I applied a NoIQ mod to disable Carrier IQ Agent...

I changed the battery indicator to something more colorful by uploading my framework-res to UOT Kitchen.

Changed the key config so that Home and Search wake the device (Reborn only allows power button by default).

Changed the system font.

Using the ICS clock.
Using the Gauge Battery Widget
Using QuickPic instead of lame Gallery3D.
Using Hacker's Keyboard instead of HTC IME or Swype.
Subbed in PowerAMP for the Music player. -- Great lockscreen, widgets, etc.

That's all I remember right now.
Epidenimus ,
Is it Ui Tweaks part of zeam launcher or a separate apps? I couldn't find it on the market.
Thanks

pilot03

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site

Herduc

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
thanks pilot03, there are some interesting apps on those links. But I did not see UI Tweaks, may be I did not understand, I thought it is an app where you can tweak your phone's interface like the one for windows.

Infinity

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I just wanted to thank Nick7 for the great ROM. I was using CleanROM but kept having random slowdown issues and occasional freezes. So far Reborn has been working flawlessly and I love the darker theme. A quick question though, what apps are safe for me to delete out of the system\app folder? I'd like to remove some of the ones I don't use or ones where I use a newer version downloaded from the market but I don't want to mess anything up.

jonny5449

AC Citizen
Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone else get a battery drain when using this rom I bought a spare extra battery its bigger and lasts longer I love this rom that much

Sent from futuristic optimus s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer_glow