[ROM][ICS] Pete Alfonso's Nightlies

panasrsm

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I just installed Buegless Beast 1/18/2012 yesterday, this is the first time for me running ICS, and so far i like a lot.
GPS works.
Wifi hotspot works (which was the main reason for me to root and and install a custom ROM) .
Bluetooth works, although for whatever reason i can't dial any number talking to the bluethoot device. in order to use my bluethooth, i have to dial the number from the phoner itself, then i can listen and talk through the bluetooth.

Email works, but it's slow synchronizing ?? and also it won't synch live, the minimun time in between syncs is 5 minutes. The email version that shipped with Android 2.3.7 was way faster, and didn't ask for any time between email synch. i have a yahoo mailbox, a gmail mailbox, and an exchange mailbox.

For the Exchange portion (Active Sync), it't super nice to see an option to install client certificates.
I tried setting that up, but i'm getting an error that states the active sycn policies from the server are not supported by the device. i thought ICS 4.0.3 was supporting EAS policies. I can change the policy in my Exchage Active sycn boxes to test. i'm also an Exchange admin, so it makes life easier to test EAS on Android :)

ortam

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I just installed it myself, and for some reason, none of my contacts are there. Anyone else have this issue? I didn't do a full data wipe, perhaps that was the problem, but I think I'll play more this weekend

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I just installed it myself, and for some reason, none of my contacts are there. Anyone else have this issue? I didn't do a full data wipe, perhaps that was the problem, but I think I'll play more this weekend

Yes, you definitely have to do a full wipe. And I wouldn't recommend restoring anything from a backup either. After you have ICS installed, for future updates, all you need to do is to wipe the cache. No loss of data or settings!

I am running 1-15, for the past 4 days, and I haven't had any issues, nor have I even rebooted since I installed it! I am on the stock kernel. A little slower than the Matr1x I was using before which I had overclocked, but I will probably hold off on flashing another kernel until I put on a later nightly version. I don't like to mess around with things more often than I have to.

ortam

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Oh man! But I spent so much time on Nine Innings Baseball! Haha. Maybe I'll try just restoring my game data and texts.

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Oh man! But I spent so much time on Nine Innings Baseball! Haha. Maybe I'll try just restoring my game data and texts.

Yeah, it may well be OK to restore game/app settings and texts, but I can tell you that I did a full restore of settings the first time I flashed an ICS ROM, and I had a lot of problems. I can't say for sure if it was something in the ROM, or in the restore that was causing problems, but I gave it another shot after a week or so with a more recent ROM without restoring anything, and it has been great!

panasrsm

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Updated my phone with the new version, posting this connected to my Nexus S 4G wifi-hotspot.
I only did a davlik cache wipe since i used ROM manager to download and install the update. no problems so far.

panasrsm

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks again Kevin, i tried NStools and Voltage Control. none of them would let me increase CPU speed beyon 1000mhz on my phone :(

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks again Kevin, i tried NStools and Voltage Control. none of them would let me increase CPU speed beyon 1000mhz on my phone :(

I don't think Pete's kernel supports anything faster. If you want something faster, you're going to have to install Matr1x, Eugene's kernel or GLaDOS.

chrismc

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I just installed the 1/18 build over the weekend as my first venture into ICS. So far, I'm only seeing one bug but its driving me crazy. It seems that home screen widgets freeze up after a little while and no longer update. I have tried both the built-in News and Weather widget as well as the beWeather Pro widget, and both stop updating after about an hour or two (the beWeather widget has a "refresh" button that stop doing anything as well). I've reproduced the behavior on both the stock ICS launcher as well as Zeam Launcher. I'm guessing it has something to do with ICS's process management, perhaps the process that holds the widgets is getting cached out or something. Stopping and restarting whichever launcher I'm using makes the widgets refresh, but they freeze up again shortly afterwards. Has anyone else seen problems like this?

**EDIT** Issue resolved, see post #57 in this thread.

Last edited:

clindner

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Stopping and restarting whichever launcher I'm using makes the widgets refresh, but they freeze up again shortly afterwards. Has anyone else seen problems like this?

I haven't had any problems with widgets not updating on mine. I'm using the stock launcher. I have two widgets on my home screen, the 2x2 calendar widget and the weatherbug 1x2 widget.

panasrsm

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a couple of widgest as well, weather.comand calendar, they seem to update fine. they did in release 1.18, and continue to do so in rlease1.22

chrismc

May 9, 2011
Visit site
It looks like the widget problem I was having was just due to multiple bad widgets that don't work right in ICS. I switched to using the WeatherBug widget and it works and update flawlessly now. When my widgets were freezing up it was also freezing the ICS built-in calendar widget, but switching to the new WeatherBug widget seems to have fixed the calendar as well. A bit weird that a bad widget can affect the functionality of all your widgets, but at least I know the problem and can avoid it now. FWIW, the issue has been resolved for me using either the built-in ICS launcher or Zeam Launcher, so that variable seems to be unrelated to the problem.

echoromeo83

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Installed this last night and so far so good. First adventure in both rooting and flashing a
ROM, and after a few hiccups everything is as smooth as butter. So far pete's ROM is running perfectly, as fast or faster than stock gingerbread and with all that added ICS goodness.

One question: I've never flashed a new kernel before: are kernels ROM-specific, or can you flash any ICS kernel? For example, I'd like to try out Matr1x v15.0 because I've been hearing good things about it, but will it work with pete's nightlies?

Thanks!

panasrsm

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I had issues with Matr1x v14.5 and Pete's ROM. don't know if it was because this ROM doens't like the BFS version wery well, i couldn't even install the CFS version (my phone started bootlooping in the Google Logo). I was able to run the BFS v14.5, but for whatever reason the phone was locking up every 5-10 min. and the only soultion was to pull the battery out. Also to notice, this issues started after i installed nstools, looking to overclock the phone. i had it running at 1200mhz.

Since i did a backup using Clockwork before installing this Kernel, I booted the image i had with Bugless Beast r1/18/2012, then i removed nstools with reset_nstools_.zip (just wipe davlik, and flash reset_nstools.zip from sd card), and after i did that, everything started working correctly. then i just loaded buegless beast r01/22/2012, and haven't bothered with anything else since then.

Btw, the battery holds a LOT longer now with r01.22, and that's with Pete's ROM, (the one that comes with Bugless Beast). very stable so far, and everything i've tried works, market, videos, wifi, wify teather, email, GPS, Google maps, etc). i wanted reliability, and so far i'm sold on this ROM

I haven't tried wallet cause i don't use it.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chao