[ROM][MOD][4.4.2][EXPERIMENTAL] KitKat OS2SD

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
If there's a way to write a bootloader like grub to the boot partition that allows loading a kernel off an sd-ext partition that would be ideal, then we wouldn't have to use the same kernel for both installations. Just being able to overwrite the scripts in the ramdisk early in the init process would be good and less difficult to do. It would probably be possible to run some kind of boot menu from init.rc.

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
this'll get you going.
init a repo from github.com/androidarmv6/android, branch cm-11.0
drop this xml in .repo/local_manifests, modify as desired.
View attachment 101227
substitute skinbark for bigsupersquid in the kernel line if you want optimus S keylayout and other changes.
the basic files for boot from sd are in this flashable zip, also modify as desired.
kitkat-sd.zip
post your improvements!
The packages/apps/Settings folder in the roomservice file is throwing an error on latest builds, I think it's okay to just remove it.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
...Also I wonder how much battery is used by having the button leds on constantly. And did anyone on virgin mobile notice this didnt require the apn patch? Data just works. I know VM announced network upgrades, maybe its 100% sprint compatible now.
the leds are a kernel command line issue, or you can change the driver code in the kernel to default to the right board rev.
thekraven got data working, recently. it has always crossed sprint and vm. it's the mms that's messed up, blarf figured it out and released code with the iho repo way back. CM eventually absorbed it for the higher end vm phones even though they've never supported ours. thekraven says CM hasn't fixed that yet. I looked at patching it for grins but it needs serious rework in the variable names to build.

If there's a way to write a bootloader like grub to the boot partition that allows loading a kernel off an sd-ext partition that would be ideal, then we wouldn't have to use the same kernel for both installations. Just being able to overwrite the scripts in the ramdisk early in the init process would be good and less difficult to do. It would probably be possible to run some kind of boot menu from init.rc.
you need a kernel that can kexec. I couldn't get 2.6.35 to do it and I haven't tried on 3.0, but I leave it set in the config. it's not the default.
might've been issues with kexec-tools though. it's certainly possible on the hardware, since the bootloader in firmware swaps to the kernel in the boot.img or the one downloaded through fastboot.
you can definitely overwrite ramdisk files and run scripts from internal or external media. timing it right probably matters.

Last edited:

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I know that quite a bit of progress has been made and there's several patches and such throughout this thread. Have the installation files been updated to reflect this, or would someone coming into this need to download and install everything separately? I'm still running the first test build but because my partition sizes are a little goofy I've been thinking about repartitioning and starting over.

VM670 on 4.4.2? Yes, indeed.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I know that quite a bit of progress has been made and there's several patches and such throughout this thread. Have the installation files been updated to reflect this, or would someone coming into this need to download and install everything separately? I'm still running the first test build but because my partition sizes are a little goofy I've been thinking about repartitioning and starting over.

VM670 on 4.4.2? Yes, indeed.
I'm using the regular recovery with the fakeflash on top, and *-sd.zips from the op.
first in fakeflash cwm, factory reset, then format system and boot in the mounts and storage menu.
I install the cm-11 then the skinny gapps.
then CrossBreeder, then beta4 kernel, then the kitkat-sd.zip (I have issues with /data permissions messing up accelerometer and such unless the fstab.thunderc and init.*.rc's are set up this way.)
I also flash everything all together without a reboot. then reboot into system (ignore the may flash recovery and unrooted warnings and reboot twice if neccessary,)
and apply the wifi fix.
that's /my/ setup, though. without any test builds or anything. and the live wallpapers FC no matter when or how I've tried em, though market ones work.
plus the clock is unreliable. right now it's correct on the cLock widget and system info live wallpaper, but wrong in the notification bar.

thewraith420

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Hey if you guys find a way to load the kernel from SD or I sure could use the method on my RAZR M. Locked bootloader so I'm stuck with safestrap recovery and only stock based roms... Not nearly as fun as messing around on my ov

Edit: or rather load a boot.img

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I uploaded a new build for os2sd (20140116), same as the new regular build. I'm not going to make separate 'full' builds for os2sd anymore, not worth the trouble. Let me know if there's something you want that's missing from the 'mini' build and I'll make it available.

TechVendetta

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I uploaded a new build for os2sd (20140116), same as the new regular build. I'm not going to make separate 'full' builds for os2sd anymore, not worth the trouble. Let me know if there's something you want that's missing from the 'mini' build and I'll make it available.

What are the differences between the "full" and "mini" builds? And can we get a todo list of things to fix in order of severity? I'm about to run a clean build to see if my new build server is setup and synced properly.

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
What are the differences between the "full" and "mini" builds? And can we get a todo list of things to fix in order of severity? I'm about to run a clean build to see if my new build server is setup and synced properly.
Not sure exactly, full includes more apps and features. You can examine the different make files in vendor/cm/config. The option is selected in device/lge/thunderc/cm.mk.
Also you can drop the extras folder inside the rom zip into the system folder to integrate the extras into the rom. As far as todo stuff, I was thinking about trying to configure the rom to use bluez instead of bluedroid in hopes that it would fix bluetooth, just haven't gotten around to it. Wireless tether needs fixing. MMS, maybe voicemail notification. There may be some power management issues which are kernel related, sometimes my phone goes into a kind of 'sleep of death' and doesn't want to wake up. Also power management optimizations for lower battery drain. I can't seem to get SELinux configured, not sure what the problem is, may be kernel related. Zram and/or swap might give better performance, but will probably be implemented by androidarmv6 if feasible. Building with the Linaro toolchain might give better performance.

TechVendetta

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Not sure exactly, full includes more apps and features. You can examine the different make files in vendor/cm/config. The option is selected in device/lge/thunderc/cm.mk.
Also you can drop the extras folder inside the rom zip into the system folder to integrate the extras into the rom. As far as todo stuff, I was thinking about trying to configure the rom to use bluez instead of bluedroid in hopes that it would fix bluetooth, just haven't gotten around to it. Wireless tether needs fixing. MMS, maybe voicemail notification. There may be some power management issues which are kernel related, sometimes my phone goes into a kind of 'sleep of death' and doesn't want to wake up. Also power management optimizations for lower battery drain. I can't seem to get SELinux configured, not sure what the problem is, may be kernel related. Zram and/or swap might give better performance, but will probably be implemented by androidarmv6 if feasible. Building with the Linaro toolchain might give better performance.

Bluez typically works worse on our phones, thats what I tried to use on jellybean but it couldnt even turn on (crashed the phone). At least with this daemon it sounds like we can get 3/4 through pairing. As for voicemail, I've been getting notifications, but it wont let me change my voicemail number to the right number. I had to reconfigure my build server too so still havent gotten that going just yet. Problem is I tried to be lazy and use my webserver but it isnt fully x64 compliant under its current kernel so I'm bringing up my second server. ^.^

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
With regards to the "Sleep of Death," I've noticed on occasion when charging overnight the phone will be off in the morning. It boots up normally, with a full charge, but I know it had been on when I went to bed. Not quite the same, but I wonder if it isn't related. It's certainly not the same glitch as when my phone locks up as it will usually just reboot itself, not shut down. I don't know how valuable that information is considering that I've been running the first OS2SD build with the original kernel, but I thought I'd throw that out there. I might not be able to contribute code, but I'll try to help in any way I can.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
My sleep of death thing may have been related to the music player problem that Shinkenred mentioned because I was using Android Music Player which is from the same developer as Rocket Player I believe. I took it off but I'm not sure yet whether the problem is gone.

yaconsult

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Dirty-flashing worked fine for me too. It showed updating progress after it was rebooted. Then I reflashed the virgin button swap.

Has anyone else noticed that power off doesn't seem to work - the phone just reboots? This happens whether it is plugged into usb or not and whether I power off using the power down menu or from adb. Also, selecting power down from within the cwm recovery causes the phone to do a normal boot.

Bluetooth still sees the headset but doesn't pair - as expected since the fix hasn't been found yet.

Last edited:

skinbark

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else noticed that power off doesn't seem to work - the phone just reboots? This happens whether it is plugged into usb or not and whether I power off using the power down menu or from adb. Also, selecting power down from within the cwm recovery causes the phone to do a normal boot.
Power off is working correctly for me.

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
And for me as well. The only thing that could cause a symptom to be that consistent even in the recovery would be the kernel, perhaps you could grab the dmsg with adb for Skinbark and Bigsupersquid. That could help isolate what's going on...

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2