[ROM][MOD][4.4.2][EXPERIMENTAL] KitKat OS2SD

TechVendetta

May 16, 2011
Visit site
With regards to the "Sleep of Death," I've noticed on occasion when charging overnight the phone will be off in the morning. It boots up normally, with a full charge, but I know it had been on when I went to bed. Not quite the same, but I wonder if it isn't related. It's certainly not the same glitch as when my phone locks up as it will usually just reboot itself, not shut down. I don't know how valuable that information is considering that I've been running the first OS2SD build with the original kernel, but I thought I'd throw that out there. I might not be able to contribute code, but I'll try to help in any way I can.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

When it comes to sleep of death or phone reboots during charging, here's what's happening. Theres a charging profile built into the boot image, this profile handles what happens when a device is plugged in and powered off. So, if you have your phone charging for the night, and it crashes, and tries to trigger the reboot, it hits init in the boot image and tries to determine whether it should boot the os or boot into the charging only profile. The official option is to boot into charging only, but I hate this method because thats how developers wake up late for class or work. Currently, at least on my phone since the charging only profile is left out of this rom it will reboot back to the os, however it may then experience a few time display freezes or lags, but the system still actually knows the time.

Now, the sleep of death is another matter, this is triggered by the deep sleep profile. This is supposed to manage power savings while the phone has been in sleep mode for a certain period of time. The normal resumption from this state is typically handled in steps, however its likely that our values are off and it goes to sleep and doesn't like being woken suddenly.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
this kernel refuses to handle offline charging. The battery code was really tweaky to get to run for some reason. So if /sbin/charger is in the ramdisk, and active in the *.rc's, then it bootloops. It's been disabled since thekraven started building JBC with the 3.0 kernel.

deep sleep may be possible to bypass, by setting the min clock speed up. it defaults to 122 in the kernel config.
also the battery code from lg holds a wakelock. which should stop deep sleep anyway, right? and I think the wifi is configured not to deep sleep either. dmesg sometimes shows things not wanting to sleep or already being awake.

brotherswing

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
That explains why I haven't had the issue, I set my minimum clock speed to 480 since there is no battery savings below that threshold on the arm6.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2

clydesdale91

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
When I try to install this the cache partition won't mount. I get the error code "E: can't open cache/recovery/last_install" or something like that. the other two partitions mount. I have the os2sd recovery installed. I don't know if I'm just doing something wrong with the installation process. I flash the os2sd recovery directly over the regular recovery and then reboot but get that error every time. all of the partitions are in FAT16. I sized them: /system - 512mb /data - 750mb /cache - 512mb

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Is that true on all roms? I wasn't aware. I've been setting the minimum lower in an attempt to save battery life. How did you find out about that?
there was a nice study with ammeters a while back, think it was posted in the v forum. I'll dig for it.
//edit: here's part 2, it has a link to part one. you can thank mmarz, but he's not been around for a while.
some of the charts are gone from the image hosting, but there's a zip file of stuff.

clydesdale91

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a mac and had formatted the sd using disk utility. for some reason it set the cache partition as logical. booted into windows and reformatted, everything is working fine now.

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed looking through files that cm uses sd-ext for quite a few things.
it may need softlinked into ext /data/sd-ext or something to keep stuff happy without modifying all the internal references to sd-ext.

Shinkenred

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
My sleep of death thing may have been related to the music player problem that Shinkenred mentioned because I was using Android Music Player which is from the same developer as Rocket Player I believe. I took it off but I'm not sure yet whether the problem is gone.

...that's odd. Their (older) Android Music Player is more or less based on the stock player. And I say older, because it seems they made that one first. I remember when I first got it, I kept getting messages pointing me to Rocket Player.

TechVendetta

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Been looking into mms, seems the problem is there was a change in the apn system. Also does everyone else have the issue where /sdcard doesnt work properly?
Also, do settings like wifi password, apns etc not stick through reboot for everyone else?

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Been looking into mms, seems the problem is there was a change in the apn system. Also does everyone else have the issue where /sdcard doesnt work properly?
Also, do settings like wifi password, apns etc not stick through reboot for everyone else?
I now have a repo based on thekraven's TheJBC. mine has mostly working Virgin Mobile MMS. The APN has to be tweaked manually to get it to take though. Every reboot. I want to know what you figure out. I read in TransactionService.java down in the Mms app there is a drop-out return if the first APN tested has no mmsc url.
Wifi is fine. Password sticks. Working hotspot. Bluetooth partly works, audio but not my keyboard. sdcard is fine.
It is not os2sd but can be easily converted. I want everything stable before I tweak at that mode any further.

Last edited:

TechVendetta

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I now have a repo based on thekraven's TheJBC. mine has mostly working Virgin Mobile MMS. The APN has to be tweaked manually to get it to take though. Every reboot. I want to know what you figure out. I read in TransactionService.java down in the Mms app there is a drop-out return if the first APN tested has no mmsc url.
Wifi is fine. Password sticks. Working hotspot. Bluetooth partly works, audio but not my keyboard. sdcard is fine.
It is not os2sd but can be easily converted. I want everything stable before I tweak at that mode any further.
At this point I only want os2sd roms. But yeah its an easy patch. As for the keyboard its a missing hid profile for you. Whats the differences in your repo? And what's your manifests look like for an exact build. Also the only difference between sprint and VM now is MMS proxy since the upgrade.which way were you moding apn? Through settings?

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
At this point I only want os2sd roms. But yeah its an easy patch. As for the keyboard its a missing hid profile for you. Whats the differences in your repo? And what's your manifests look like for an exact build. Also the only difference between sprint and VM now is MMS proxy since the upgrade.which way were you moding apn? Through settings?
missing profile, eh? I'll look into that. //edit: ah, kernel level. needs turned on probably.
skinbark hadn't updated his repo in a while last I looked. My differences against JBC are just virgin specific changes. some things thekraven forked off androidarmv6 need manual pull to update. There is still one difference, the nasty 9999999999 number incoming mms comes from on vm. blarf fixed it in inferior human organs repo long ago and CM absorbed the patch. I updated it after thekraven pointed it out. oh, and mcc/mnc.
I go thru voicedialer to 'open apns' and mess with it there. opening the right one and saving it seems to activate it. it doesn't always take immediately, sometimes a minute or so elapses before queued mms go in or out.

Last edited:

TechVendetta

May 16, 2011
Visit site
missing profile, eh? I'll look into that. //edit: ah, kernel level. needs turned on probably.
skinbark hadn't updated his repo in a while last I looked. My differences against JBC are just virgin specific changes. some things thekraven forked off androidarmv6 need manual pull to update. There is still one difference, the nasty 9999999999 number incoming mms comes from on vm. blarf fixed it in inferior human organs repo long ago and CM absorbed the patch. I updated it after thekraven pointed it out. oh, and mcc/mnc.
I go thru voicedialer to 'open apns' and mess with it there. opening the right one and saving it seems to activate it. it doesn't always take immediately, sometimes a minute or so elapses before queued mms go in or out.

Alright thats pretty much what I was playing with. Got a qeue of 9999999999 mms's modified the apn via settings, but for me on this rom it would cause the apn or any one I modified to vanish. Then I set it higher up and it sticks but so far still all 9's. Sounds like we need to organize the repo's and just have modified lunch options to build the various versions. I'll take a look at your repo and see if I can switch over to that one to save me a little time in my patchwork.

I'm also thinking I should create a os2sd repo that can overlay os2sd onto a repo and add a lunch option, we'll see how motivated I am tonight.

Last edited:

ClutchX_LA

The_Boss
Apr 19, 2012
Visit site
Just want to verify. I have to creat a /data, /system, and /cache partition , all have to be Ext. 4 correct? How do I make 3 different partions?

Sent from my LG-LS860 using AC Forums mobile app

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Just want to verify. I have to creat a /data, /system, and /cache partition , all have to be Ext. 4 correct? How do I make 3 different partions?

Sent from my LG-LS860 using AC Forums mobile app
use gparted (hiren boot cd has it)
It's more reliable than Window$ software.
Partitions 2-4 ext4, all primary. Partition 1 is fat32 (vfat)

TechVendetta

May 16, 2011
Visit site
bigsupersquid, there is a bug in your qualcom settings for the camera service, I just commented out the ifdef in the service and it built, just made an os2sd rom for a clean build to test before I tweak it. Also dual boot solution: finally a use for all my old microsd cards!
[will update once dalvik builds]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174