S10+ or S20+?

gallopiton

Trusted Member
May 29, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I think the OP would do better by getting an S10. Even when the lack of 5G connectivity could be a factor in the future, the fact that he/she doesn't change phones often gives the impression that OP doesn't need the latest technology, or fastest device to go about his/her day...

You have a point but what if 5G battery improvements are big in a few years? Better optimization in 5G areas when your actually using 5G.

Remember the issues 4G phones had with battery when they first came out?

I would get the S10 and wait a few years to see the tech improves for 5G. Then buy a newer phone.

GraCal

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
A few weeks ago I bought and S20+, but returned it. It is an excellent phone, but wasn't for me. My thought was to wait until Verizon came out with the S20 and get my new phone then. After reading this post, I think I am going to go get the S10 tomorrow as I don't need all the S20 upgrades. The S10 sounds like it will be a great phone for what I need. Thanks for everyone's input on this post.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
I would use this argument in the inverse way.

Since he/she seems to keep phones for several years, perhaps consider a phone that will hold up better in time. Right now 5G isn't relevant but I guess in 3 years it could be a different story.

The biggest issue is HOW they implemented 5G--with a separate chip that takes up space AND power.

Take the extremely limited 5G availability right now, the unknown of what 5G will actually be like in two years, three, four years and whether or not the S20's 5G implementation will be relevant, and then add in that you're still taking battery power to run that silly extra physical chip that's not doing anything--it all adds up to "I'll get plenty good enough for now and worry about tomorrow, tomorrow".

Pay FAR less money for the S10+ today, get a large battery that's not being wasted on powering a superfluous chip, get a superb screen and camera, and worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
A few weeks ago I bought and S20+, but returned it. It is an excellent phone, but wasn't for me. My thought was to wait until Verizon came out with the S20 and get my new phone then. After reading this post, I think I am going to go get the S10 tomorrow as I don't need all the S20 upgrades. The S10 sounds like it will be a great phone for what I need. Thanks for everyone's input on this post.

Let us know if and when you get the S10, and how you are liking it! Plus, with the S20 camera updates now on the S10 (I am a HUGE fan of Single Take), it is much easier to go for the S10 line instead of the S20 line - in my opinion, anyway. :)

Kastrol

Feb 26, 2020
Visit site
If you so rarely change your smart cards, then it is better to take the newest Galaxy S20, because the performance margin is much larger. The difference between Snapdragon 855 in the Galaxy S10 and Snapdragon 865 in the Galaxy S20 will not be noticed in simple tasks, but in games the differences are noticeable. The second processor has some advantages:

1. More memory cache
2. More performance across all benchmarks
3. More modern architecture

https://nanoreview.net/en/soc-compare/qualcomm-snapdragon-865-vs-qualcomm-snapdragon-855

Of course, the price is different, and it is not always worth paying for such chips as live focus when shooting a video.

DominionRoofs

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
I would go s20 all day. The performance difference, especially with the 120htz is night and day. I said it before, but I find the s20 to be smoother In the transitions like openings folders, side panel and long press for options. They have always been stuttery on previous Samsung but not on the s20. This is on stock settings too. I have to think that the chip makes more of a difference than people think or its more optimized.

Adam Frix

Nov 29, 2015
Visit site
wow, I just tried all those things. I can't imagine how borked up your S10 must have been to exhibit those things, because mine is smooth and flawless without a hint of "stutter".

dpomerance

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like Dominion needs a reload. I agree the 10+ is more than sufficient. Any "higher specs" are marketing only, not visible to the naked eye.

GraCal

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
So I got the S10 yesterday and it is what I thought it would be, an updated version of the S9 I had. For my needs (95% business use), it will be a perfect fit. I couldn't see spending the extra money at this time to get the S20 to get a larger battery and additional memory (I know there are other improved features, they just don't apply to me).

The S10 is a perfect size and weight (didn't realize it is actually lighter than the S9). Everything is still settling in, but I can easily see another 2 years with this one.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
So I got the S10 yesterday and it is what I thought it would be, an updated version of the S9 I had. For my needs (95% business use), it will be a perfect fit. I couldn't see spending the extra money at this time to get the S20 to get a larger battery and additional memory (I know there are other improved features, they just don't apply to me).

The S10 is a perfect size and weight (didn't realize it is actually lighter than the S9). Everything is still settling in, but I can easily see another 2 years with this one.

So glad you are liking your new S10! Happy Phone Weekend! What colour and storage size did you get?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beauty1