S10/S10+ Video Issues for Vlogging

Yohighnus

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
Hello community, vloggers and pleasure users. Testing the S10/S10+ with video zoom has posed an issue no Samsung store representative has been able to answer, so I’m reaching out.

When shooting a video (recording or not) and you start your video zoomed all the way out (to capture the maximum area) and then zoom all the way in with your fingers (or using a hand-held gimbal) there is a “jump” (switch) between lens that are present and noticeable in a recorded video. Is there a work around to this issue realizing that there are 3 physical lens that the camera moves through based on the zoom level selected. Can one force the camera to stay on one of the zoom settings?

If you’re at a sports event, concert, or music festival and you’re far back, then want to zoom onto the performer after capturing a far back view… but the video jumps when switching between lens’s, for video purposes this is not good (back in the single lens days e.g. S7 Edge, this was not an issue).

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: S10/S10+ Video Zoom Issue

Only way to do that would be with a 3rd party app, sine they can only access the main lens.

Yohighnus

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site

Another video disappointment... Where is Pro mode for videos (not just for photos).

I'm used to manually controlling the focus, to start recording out of focus and bringing the subject into focus for video effect.

Any vloggers out three using the S10/S10+ running into video limitations? So far there are the two issues identified in this thread.

djlee0314

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I just recorded a video in 4K60fps zoomed all the way out and back in and back out again to test and I didn't notice any jump or switching of lenses noticeable in playback.

jlangner

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site

Another video disappointment... Where is Pro mode for videos (not just for photos).

I'm used to manually controlling the focus, to start recording out of focus and bringing the subject into focus for video effect.

Any vloggers out three using the S10/S10+ running into video limitations? So far there are the two issues identified in this thread.

I am pretty sure Samsung removed Pro mode for Videos with the Pie update. Not sure if bringing back in an update or not.

Yohighnus

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
I just recorded a video in 4K60fps zoomed all the way out and back in and back out again to test and I didn't notice any jump or switching of lenses noticeable in playback.

DJlee, thanks for the tip. I did some further testing and here are the results.

When in video mode (rear camera), if you choose to record in the following formats:
Full 19:9 2288x1080, HD, FHD, UHD then you WILL experience/see the "jump" between lens. That's because in these modes, they make use of all of each of the 3 lens (zooming all the way out for max content capture to zooming all the way in).

When in video mode (rear camera), if you choose to record in the following formats:

FHD (60 fps) or UHD (60 fps) you must be in the center/middle lens to select this option (not in wide angle), in order to NOT experience/see the "jump" between lens. From the looks of it, moving from the center/middle lens to the close up zoom lens has no issue.

In any case, thank you for the clue/tip. I wish Samsung made better use of the wide angle lens (allowing for full smoothness between all lens in any record quality format).

Also just an FYI, when shooting photos in the wide angle lens, the flash will not work, so night shoots could suffer depending on application.

Yohighnus

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site

I am pretty sure Samsung removed Pro mode for Videos with the Pie update. Not sure if bringing back in an update or not.

Let's hope Pro Mode for video is included or enabled in future updates. One can only wonder why they would have taken this feature away, when it was available starting back as far as the Galaxy S7 Edge (my first Samsung device). Thanks for the reply.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MansiDaware