S10e display flashes since last update

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Ugh! I guess I'll just have to live with it, like I do with not being notified when I get a new text. I'm really starting to hate this *@#% phone! The glitches just keep piling up. Anyway, thanks for giving it your best shot and trying to help me.

Unfortunately a lot of times it's not the phone but the third party apps you add to it that cause the problem. Since it's fine in safe mode it's a poorly coded (which a LOT of them are) app that you've added. Blaming the phone isn't the answer... limiting third party apps to what you really only need, and making sure they're quality apps from a serious developer with a solid reputation helps. At this stage you can live with the growing problems, find the problem apps and remove them, or factory reset and extremely limit what apps you install.

I quit using third party apps a long time ago because the hassles FAR outweighed the benefits for me, and the play store sucks at keeping crap/infected apps out. And I haven't had any major issues of any kind since... it's been awesome. But that's just me ;)

lhaff37

Jul 21, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately a lot of times it's not the phone but the third party apps you add to it that cause the problem. Since it's fine in safe mode it's a poorly coded (which a LOT of them are) app that you've added. Blaming the phone isn't the answer... limiting third party apps to what you really only need, and making sure they're quality apps from a serious developer with a solid reputation helps.

Thanks and I totally agree. I don't have any apps that I don't need (except the ton of useless Samsung apps that came preinstalled on the phone and I can't get rid of), but what gripes me is that I haven't installed any apps in quite a while and this issue just showed up right after I installed the latest update to Android 11.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Thanks and I totally agree. I don't have any apps that I don't need (except the ton of useless Samsung apps that came preinstalled on the phone and I can't get rid of), but what gripes me is that I haven't installed any apps in quite a while and this issue just showed up right after I installed the latest update to Android 11.

It could be a conflict with an app and Android 11. Have you already tried wiping your cache partition in recovery mode?

Also sometimes an OS upgrade will unfortunately need a factory reset to work properly. I just reset my pixel after getting 12, and was shocked at how much better it ran. I did it to try and fix a caller ID announcement issue, but it fixed a boot up problem my phone was having that I just ignored, made the live transcribe in Visual Voicemail work instantly, made the phone boot up quicker, made it snappier overall, and lots of other little things I didn't even know needed fixing :p

lhaff37

Jul 21, 2017
Visit site
It could be a conflict with an app and Android 11. Have you already tried wiping your cache partition in recovery mode?

Also sometimes an OS upgrade will unfortunately need a factory reset to work properly. I just reset my pixel after getting 12, and was shocked at how much better it ran. I did it to try and fix a caller ID announcement issue, but it fixed a boot up problem my phone was having that I just ignored, made the live transcribe in Visual Voicemail work instantly, made the phone boot up quicker, made it snappier overall, and lots of other little things I didn't even know needed fixing :p

I've been considering doing a factory reset. I guess I'll give it a shot and see what happens. BTW that wasn't an upgrade to Android 11 that I did when the issue started. I was already on 11, it was just an update. And yes I have wiped the cache. Thanks.

lhaff37

Jul 21, 2017
Visit site
Also sometimes an OS upgrade will unfortunately need a factory reset to work properly. :p

I did a factory reset and it seems to have eliminated my flashing issue. Thank you very much! I still have the issue with not being notified when I get a new text though. I've been living with it since I bought the phone, so I'll just carry on as usual.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I did a factory reset and it seems to have eliminated my flashing issue. Thank you very much! I still have the issue with not being notified when I get a new text though. I've been living with it since I bought the phone, so I'll just carry on as usual.

I'm glad I could help :) Not getting notifications for texts sounds like it could be a setting... especially since the reset didn't change it any. What text messaging app are you using?

lhaff37

Jul 21, 2017
Visit site
I'm glad I could help :) Not getting notifications for texts sounds like it could be a setting... especially since the reset didn't change it any. What text messaging app are you using?

The "Messages" app that came preinstalled on the phone. "New Messages" is enabled under "Show Notifications". I started a thread on this issue a long time ago and have been all over it. After the reset it will now notify me most of the time except when the Messages app is still open and the new message is from the same person, whether the display is asleep or not doesn't matter. I installed aodNotify app and it gave me a visual notification, but no sound, so I had to be looking at the screen to know.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
The "Messages" app that came preinstalled on the phone. "New Messages" is enabled under "Show Notifications". I started a thread on this issue a long time ago and have been all over it. After the reset it will now notify me most of the time except when the Messages app is still open and the new message is from the same person, whether the display is asleep or not doesn't matter. I installed aodNotify app and it gave me a visual notification, but no sound, so I had to be looking at the screen to know.

That is strange. I use the Google messages app that came stock on my pixel, it works great.. RCS and everything. Maybe try that? I'm probably going to use the Google messages app on my Flip 3 when I set it up as well... I heard it works pretty good on Samsungs, sometimes better than Samsung's own messages app.

lhaff37

Jul 21, 2017
Visit site
That is strange. I use the Google messages app that came stock on my pixel, it works great.. RCS and everything. Maybe try that? I'm probably going to use the Google messages app on my Flip 3 when I set it up as well... I heard it works pretty good on Samsungs, sometimes better than Samsung's own messages app.

OK thanks. I'll try that.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! That Google app works so much better. I wish I'd known about it a year ago.

You're very welcome ;) I wish I could have helped you a year ago... I know how frustrating it can be not getting all your notifications :( But it sounds like you're good to go now :D I'm going to be using that app on my Z Flip 3 :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08