S20 Ultra opening random web browsers to spam pages

ramsrule45

Jun 15, 2022
Visit site
Honestly the simplest way to get rid of, and avoid, these kinds of issues is to avoid installing any apps you don't %100 have to have on your device. I know for a lot of folks installing apps on their phone is half the fun, but scammers know this and target apps. There is always a good amount of sketchy apps on the Play Store because sketchy developers are putting them on as fast as Google can remove them... and yes, they have multiple ways to get around Google's security.

You have to weigh the fun of installing apps vs the need and risk. It's the same thing with visiting web sites and clicking on links.

I don't really have a tonne of apps.

The apps that i use are pretty major apps from I'd say big companies.

I kinda just use the ones i always use but i did go through and delete all the apps that had updated within a short time of the problem starting.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I downloaded Nice Catch and it really hasn't given me any information on either the toast services, Detect Commercials, or Screen Wake up History.

Too bad I was hopeful to find a culprit here!
Maybe clear data in both browser then force stop it will reset them

ramsrule45

Jun 15, 2022
Visit site
Of course, no problem. Also another suggestion. Download the app virus total from the play store. It might help you pinpoint the app. Most likely will have some false negatives as well so don't freak out lol

Mr Bojangles1, I downloaded the app and reviewed the list. There were a few that read with a '?' but when i looked at them it seems it may not have like the permissions. I deleted a few that i really don't use but not sure i found the smoking gun in here.

Keep firing any suggestions, I'm trying to get to them all.

Man this is annoying

ramsrule45

Jun 15, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. You could try a couple of things next time you get the same issue. In the meantime enable the Developer Options tapping 7-10 times the Build number in Settings - About phone - Software information.

- As soon as you get that spam page take a screenshot and posted here without any edit.

- Go to Settings - Developer Options and take screenshots of Memory and Running Services screens.

There's a big chance we can get more information from those screenshots.

View attachment 345740

This is one of the sites:
Screenshot_20220621-153738_Chrome.jpg

These are the screenshots right after a browser opened.
Screenshot_20220621-153803_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20220621-153919_Settings.jpg

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Which apps show up after Google Play Services in your screenshots? Have you already tried clearing storage for Chrome?

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Mr Bojangles1, I downloaded the app and reviewed the list. There were a few that read with a '?' but when i looked at them it seems it may not have like the permissions. I deleted a few that i really don't use but not sure i found the smoking gun in here.

Keep firing any suggestions, I'm trying to get to them all.

Man this is annoying

What are you usually doing when this happens? Does it happen on data and wifi ?

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Another question, have you checked your play protect settings to make sure it is on and scans apps

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220621-182516_Google_Play_Store.jpg
    Screenshot_20220621-182516_Google_Play_Store.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 6

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
If nothing works still then you might have to reboot into safe mode again. And remove every app you have downloaded 1 by 1. But after each one you remove reboot back into normal mode and see if it still happens. Keep doing that until it doesn't do it lol. Make a list of the apps if you want to add them back.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I don't really have a tonne of apps.

The apps that i use are pretty major apps from I'd say big companies.

I kinda just use the ones i always use but i did go through and delete all the apps that had updated within a short time of the problem starting.

It sounds like you've been pretty careful overall... unfortunately sometimes this can happen regardless of how picky you are about your apps :-\ You may have to start cleaning out your installed apps like Mr. Bojangles suggested until you find the one giving you the problems.

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Try resetting your ad identifier in Google settings. Then open both browsers go to settings->site data->clear all. Then go to notifications in site settings and clear anything there as well. Make sure blocks ads, popups, and redirects is enabled. Also if you are logged into a computer with the same account and are using sync then do the same thing on your computer browser as well.