S20FE on T-Mobile or S20+ 5g on Google Fi

AzulJoel75

Jan 8, 2021
Visit site
I'm trying to decide if I should change my service to Google Fi and take advantage of the serious discount currently being offered, $599 for S20+ or stay on T-Mobile and upgrade my existing phone to the S20FE. I currently have an LG G7, so either would be a pretty significant upgrade. I could wait until next week to see what the new S21 looks, but who knows how long Google Fi will offer the current deal.

Thoughts?

AzulJoel75

Jan 8, 2021
Visit site
The S20FE is normal price on T-Mobile, $699, though you can get it some other places for $599. moving to Google Fi, the price of the S20+ is $599 right now, and i’m not seeing prices like that anywhere else without a trade-in, and no one is offering a good trade in value for the LG G7.

AzulJoel75

Jan 8, 2021
Visit site
I think I’m most concerned about the number of negative Google Fi reviews I’ve seen. Also, I have one family member on my plan, and have an older T-Mobile plan that is no longer offered, and only costs me $115 per month, all in, with a lot of benefits..

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to decide if I should change my service to Google Fi and take advantage of the serious discount currently being offered, $599 for S20+ or stay on T-Mobile and upgrade my existing phone to the S20FE. I currently have an LG G7, so either would be a pretty significant upgrade. I could wait until next week to see what the new S21 looks, but who knows how long Google Fi will offer the current deal.

Thoughts?

What kind of deal would you get through T-Mobile? If you've been with them a while, you may be eligible for a 'loyalty' credit on top of whatever trade-in value they might give you on your existing phone. Also, Samsung has been known to be quite aggressive with the credit they give on trade-ins when launching new devices, so might be worth the wait.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I think I’m most concerned about the number of negative Google Fi reviews I’ve seen. Also, I have one family member on my plan, and have an older T-Mobile plan that is no longer offered, and only costs me $115 per month, all in, with a lot of benefits..
Let me see if @hallux can help out with Google FI on these devices , if he heard anything?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
As you're already on T-Mobile, the big question you need to ask yourself is how much data you use. If you don't use a lot of data, Fi can be a good deal. I'm on WiFi most of the time, and cache everything I can and RARELY break $35/month on my bill (which means I often don't use more than 500-600 MB in a month).

I've HEARD that even though Fi is selling the devices they still don't support the network switching. If T-Mobile works well for you now, Fi will be the same as the "default" network is T-Mobile. There have also been some comments surrounding visual voicemail not working as expected, I don't have one of those Samsung devices so I can't speak to that from personal experience.

If you want "free" hotspot (it uses the same data pool so you still pay for data) AND the option to add data-only SIM cards for additional data-capable devices PLUS have international service available, Fi could be a fit for you.

AzulJoel75

Jan 8, 2021
Visit site
What kind of deal would you get through T-Mobile? If you've been with them a while, you may be eligible for a 'loyalty' credit on top of whatever trade-in value they might give you on your existing phone. Also, Samsung has been known to be quite aggressive with the credit they give on trade-ins when launching new devices, so might be worth the wait.

As far as I am aware, there is no special loyalty thing for T-Mobile. I've been with them about 4 years or so, and am on the T-Mobile One plan, with the International Plus add-on, which has been discontinued. I've checked a few places, and it seems the only LG phones anyone will give credit on are LGG8 and LGV60. Though I could get a OnePlus trading in the G7 for half off.

AzulJoel75

Jan 8, 2021
Visit site
As you're already on T-Mobile, the big question you need to ask yourself is how much data you use. If you don't use a lot of data, Fi can be a good deal. I'm on WiFi most of the time, and cache everything I can and RARELY break $35/month on my bill (which means I often don't use more than 500-600 MB in a month).

I've HEARD that even though Fi is selling the devices they still don't support the network switching. If T-Mobile works well for you now, Fi will be the same as the "default" network is T-Mobile. There have also been some comments surrounding visual voicemail not working as expected, I don't have one of those Samsung devices so I can't speak to that from personal experience.

If you want "free" hotspot (it uses the same data pool so you still pay for data) AND the option to add data-only SIM cards for additional data-capable devices PLUS have international service available, Fi could be a fit for you.

Right now, I'm using 2-3GB of data a month, but Pre-Covid, I was more like 10-12GB per month. Granted, that's because I don't worry about data usage normally. The other user on my account uses basically no data, so no concern there.

There's no US Cellular in my area, so network switching is not really a concern for me either.

So my choice is really upgrade my phone and pay about $30 extra a month to T-Mobile, or switch to Google Fi, which might save me a $50 or so, or possibly cost me an additional $60 or so if I'm too free with my data usage.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
As far as I am aware, there is no special loyalty thing for T-Mobile. I've been with them about 4 years or so, and am on the T-Mobile One plan, with the International Plus add-on, which has been discontinued. I've checked a few places, and it seems the only LG phones anyone will give credit on are LGG8 and LGV60. Though I could get a OnePlus trading in the G7 for half off.

They do periodically publish loyalty promotions (I upgraded in September and received a $200 gift card (debit) on top of my trade-in, which got me into an S20FE at essentially the cost of the taxes). There was a similar $200 loyalty (stackable) promo that ran in tandem with their iPhone upgrade program - though that required 5 years of tenure.

Even if there's not a listed promo, if you're otherwise happy with T-Mobile you might try calling in and being upfront with them about the phone you're looking at and the better deal which is available via Fi (and the fact that it is wholly inclusive of the coverage provided by T-Mobile, as it provides access to all of T-Mobile's network offering, including the former Sprint network).

Point out that, with your having been with them for 4 years or so and knowing that they occasionally have promos for loyal customers, you are hoping they can work with you to get closer on the pricing as your preference would be to remain with T-Mobile.

AzulJoel75

Jan 8, 2021
Visit site
So. I think I might go with the S21+ or maybe Ultra on Xfinity, since I have them for internet anyway. Anyone have any experience with Xfinity Mobile?