S22 randomly plays a sound

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
My S22 recently plays some sort of sound for 5-10 seconds (one sounds like an ad, the other one is a song of some sort) at various times, but do not know how and why

1. i do not know which app causes this
2. i do not have the song on phone
3. right away i check -> settings -> notifications -> advanced settings -> notification history

i long press on the time when the sound just plays, it opens 'Chrome' even though i had already uninstalled Chrome because i thought chrome was the culprit

this is very strange and i can not figure out what is happening.

i have tried the following but did not work
. i uninstalled a few apps that i added the last two weeks
. i disabled Bixby

i suppose i could 'reset all settings' but i want to check if anyone has similar experience.

Last edited:

o4liberty

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
It has to be an app have you tried shutting off all notifications to see if that works? If it does then go thru the apps that have notifications allowed to find the culprit.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If it goes away in safe mode look at 3rd party apps that you downloaded

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When you hear the sound, go to your App Overview -- is there anything there that is unusual?

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
It has to be an app have you tried shutting off all notifications to see if that works? If it does then go thru the apps that have notifications allowed to find the culprit.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

is there a quick way to disable ALL notifications or i need to it one at a time???

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
i go to settings -> Apps... where is the App overview?

App Overview is also known as Recent Apps. If you're using button navigation, then tap the square button in the nav bar. If you're using gesture navigation, swipe up from the bottom of the screen but keep your finger on the screen until you see the recent apps show up.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
the funny thing is it comes and goes without a pattern of sort. i did uninstall several 3rd party apps (apk i download outside of google play).
Quickest way is safe mode
Nice Catch you have to give it 24 hours to collect Data.

Turn off notifications in chrome, long press chrome>tap info>turn notification off

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
App Overview is also known as Recent Apps. If you're using button navigation, then tap the square button in the nav bar. If you're using gesture navigation, swipe up from the bottom of the screen but keep your finger on the screen until you see the recent apps show up.

got you. i did not know app overview is also refer to as recent apps. when the sound plays, i did not have any apps in recent app window. that was why i couldn't actually narrow down to which app is the culprit

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
this stupid sound just plays and i checked everything
1. notification history - nothing
2. nice catch
vibration history, ringer mode history, call mode, media volume history, toast history, detect commercials - all nothing
3. i ran Malwarebytes andmy device is safe

i am so baffled. i would really hate to resort to factory reset even though i did a full backup to a flashdrive two days ago. so if i do a full restore from the flash drive, wouldn't i still inherit the same unknown issue? maybe after the factory reset, i need to install one app at a time? i am dreading the last resort.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
this stupid sound just plays and i checked everything
1. notification history - nothing
2. nice catch
vibration history, ringer mode history, call mode, media volume history, toast history, detect commercials - all nothing
3. i ran Malwarebytes andmy device is safe

i am so baffled. i would really hate to resort to factory reset even though i did a full backup to a flashdrive two days ago. so if i do a full restore from the flash drive, wouldn't i still inherit the same unknown issue? maybe after the factory reset, i need to install one app at a time? i am dreading the last resort.
Try post #11

monkeycsk

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
Try post #11

--> Quickest way is safe mode
what do i need to do in safe mode?
--> Nice Catch you have to give it 24 hours to collect Data.
did not know nice catch takes 24 hours. so i need to keep track of when the sound plays today?
-->Turn off notifications in chrome, long press chrome>tap info>turn notification off
i uninstalled chrome, the sound still plays

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
--> Quickest way is safe mode
what do i need to do in safe mode?
--> Nice Catch you have to give it 24 hours to collect Data.
did not know nice catch takes 24 hours. so i need to keep track of when the sound plays today?
-->Turn off notifications in chrome, long press chrome>tap info>turn notification off
i uninstalled chrome, the sound still plays
I'm not aware u can uninstall chrome on Samsung s22 , how did u do that ?

Safe mode you just monitor it , beware it can disable your themes, home screen shortcuts known to go away

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
It's definitely a third party app you installed. I would try resetting all app preferences... if that doesn't work I would start uninstalling apps from the most recent back till you find the bad actor :p Or you could factory reset without restoring from a backup, and just start adding the apps you actually use one by one till you find the problem. A lot of third party "apps" are really just ads spelled differently... be picky about which ones you install ;)