s4 active only charging with usb on pc and in truck.

McBakon

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi there, I let my Galaxy s4 active die the other night and now I have problems. It will only charge using a usb plugged into the computer or in the invertor with a usb slot in my truck. The invertor in my truck chargers it quickly while the desktop at home is taking forever and discharges very quickly. I plugged my phone into the desktop with 5% and three hours later its only on 40% with wifi and everything else off. It will only recognize one wall charger and its some cheapy that actually drains the battery. No other wall chargers work. Using a Samsung usb cord and wall adapter it will not charge on the wall. Ive tried various wall chargers and it wont recognize any of them except the one that drains the battery. It barely chargers on the desktop. The only way to quickly charge my phone is with the invertor in my truck. So it cant be a charger issue or a usb charging port issue on my phone which I've cleaned and blew out and made sure it wasn't bent. My only guess is a software issue which leaves me stumped because I didn't do anything different other than letting the battery die. I tried going into download mode and clearing cache but that didn't work either. Ive been on the computer reading for three hours and cannot find any definite solutions other than a factory reset which I really would like to stay way from. Ive had this phone new since December of 13 with very little problems except one back in May of 15. I was loading my 18 wheeler with cattle one night in the rain and a bull rammed me up against a wall and after that for two days it kept saying battery was over heating (but it was cold) and it would shut down so I had to run it in safe mode and clear cache and uninstalled a bunch of apps, and if I remember right that's what did the trick. I cant think of what to do and while reading alot of other peoples problems cant really find any answers that would help me. If anyone could it would be great because I need my phone for work,

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the welcome. I swapped batteries with my brother that has an s4 and nothing changed, yet with my battery in his phone everything works for him. It has to be with the phone its self I would think.

I think it is the charging port on the phone. The swapping of cables and different batteries all but point right to it.

McBakon

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I thought that too, but say I have my samsung USB cable in my phone plugged into a computer or ps3 or in my truck. I won't even unplug the cord from my phone I just change what I plug it into to get power. From a pic to the wall it quits working. Unless it can sense a different voltage or so but I don't see why the charging port would stop accepting a charge from the wall adapter but all from the computer with the same USB cord.

Posted via the Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I thought that too, but say I have my samsung USB cable in my phone plugged into a computer or ps3 or in my truck. I won't even unplug the cord from my phone I just change what I plug it into to get power. From a pic to the wall it quits working. Unless it can sense a different voltage or so but I don't see why the charging port would stop accepting a charge from the wall adapter but all from the computer with the same USB cord.

Have you tried a different wall plug?

McBakon

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Yea through out the house and my brother can use the same chargers with the same wall plugged and it works.

McBakon

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Yes, his works every time on every charger even with my battery. Only time I try to charge my phone off the wall with a USB or normal wall charger it won't recognize. Except for one weird cheap wall charger I have that just drains the battery. The only way my phone chargers is on USB to a computer or the inverter in my truck.

McBakon

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I've tried with a handful of chargers and plugs. My phone won't work on anything connected to any wall. My brothers does with all the same plugs and chargers.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
The only thing I can think of left is the USB port in the phone is bad. Everything else seems to have been eliminated.

McBakon

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
That's what I figured but I took it to some sketchy phone tech shop and and they said it wasn't it. But my guess is on the plug on the phone but I'm wondering how it only works on a USB a charger for computer.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
That's what I figured but I took it to some sketchy phone tech shop and and they said it wasn't it. But my guess is on the plug on the phone but I'm wondering how it only works on a USB a charger for computer.

Might be a different pin in the cable