S4 outselling One by alot

Eric Kane

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Nobody should actually be surprised by this. Samsung spent all of their money on advertising.

No one should be surprised at this because Samsung knows a lot more about creating a mass appeal device than HTC. It's not just marketing, although that has a lot to do with it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't usually come around these parts anymore, I'll admit I've been run off by all the trolling and bickering by grown adults that's been going on. But this post was enough for me to log in and say what's quoted above is one of the more moronic things I've read on this particular website. You better believe people care about updates, average or advanced consumers. It's one of the reasons why people like Apple, because their device will be supported guaranteed. It's also one of the reasons Samsung is at the top because of their timely updates. It's also why no one bought HTC phones before this year, and why HTC is telling everyone it can that's interested in the One that it'll be supported. It's also been rumored why Google is apparently releasing a 4.3 before the usual jump so that OEMs catch up. Fragmentation is not fiction, it's a fact.

Do average people know when the OS is typically unveiled and the ins and outs of it? Probably not. Would those same people knowingly buy a device knowing it will never get an update? Hell no. It's kind of implied when people shell out large amounts of money to buy off contract or sign their names on 2 yr. contracts that they expect what they're buying to get support, and rightfully so. Otherwise, if people didn't care then HTC wouldn't be in the mess it's in right now. You better believe if the One doesn't get updated that no one will buy from HTC again. Not after all the promises of updates and vibes of righting the ship that they've given off.

I work with plenty of "average" consumers. My fianc?e is an average consumer, as far as phones and tech go. None of then have ever cared about OS updates, and are surprised when they get them.

They all say "Why do I need an update? It worked just fine without it." I've asked some of my customers that have newer phones (like the S3 or a Razr variant) if they got the update. The answers were varied: 1) Yeah, I didn't notice a change 2) I got the notification, but didn't take because the last time I did it messed my phone up 3) No, never saw anything about an update

The occasional more positive answer of course. But the majority of "regular" people I've spoke to (not a small amount) generally don't care. They just want their phone to work.

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
I work with plenty of "average" consumers. My fianc?e is an average consumer, as far as phones and tech go. None of then have ever cared about OS updates, and are surprised when they get them.

They all say "Why do I need an update? It worked just fine without it." I've asked some of my customers that have newer phones (like the S3 or a Razr variant) if they got the update. The answers were varied: 1) Yeah, I didn't notice a change 2) I got the notification, but didn't take because the last time I did it messed my phone up 3) No, never saw anything about an update

The occasional more positive answer of course. But the majority of "regular" people I've spoke to (not a small amount) generally don't care. They just want their phone to work.

Have to agree with you on the average person. Most don't know there is an update available at all. That said many times updates are needed. I can remember plenty of times when a phone would come out and all you would hear are the complaints. Most just needed a software patch.

Thankfully most of the oem's have gotten the news and are doing a better job. That said they should push the updates faster. Now we have to get that idea through to the carriers. That's where the bigger hold up is.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes, let's trust one of the most biased phone sites on the web and their 'trusted source'. It is no surprise the S4 is outselling the One. The other info you shouldn't take any stock in, because phone arena is not a reputable source of information.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Samsung has become Apple as far as phone popularity. I already changed my thinking about 2 years ago that the iPhone sells only because its an iPhone. Ppl obviously like it enough to keep buying it.

Same thing for Samsung. Its marketing...but its also a good product. Just like the iPhone..

Yes, let's trust one of the most biased phone sites on the web and their 'trusted source'. It is no surprise the S4 is outselling the One. The other info you shouldn't take any stock in, because phone arena is not a reputable source of information.

Really.....biased towards who? According to some users there....one weeks its iPhone Arena...one week its Android Arena.... I wouldnt call them one of the most biased phone sites on the web...I can think of a couple that have that title. I would call at least one writer biased towards Apple, the iPhone tho...

They even show positive love towards BB and WP.

They have one writer that is unbiased enough to post about Apple and Google hits and misses....and some nice editorials positive about Android, Google. Even the Android articles he writes that I dont agree with spin a positive light on Google.

As far as them being a reputable source.....a vast majority of their articles is based on an outside sources..like WSJ...or some other site. The writer that I feel is biased towards Apple, the iPhone does slant his articles to favor Apple, the iPhone by leaving out things from the source. Its wild cuz anyone can click on the source link and see the whole story...

I don't usually come around these parts anymore, I'll admit I've been run off by all the trolling and bickering by grown adults that's been going on. But this post was enough for me to log in and say what's quoted above is one of the more moronic things I've read on this particular website. You better believe people care about updates, average or advanced consumers. It's one of the reasons why people like Apple, because their device will be supported guaranteed. It's also one of the reasons Samsung is at the top because of their timely updates. It's also why no one bought HTC phones before this year, and why HTC is telling everyone it can that's interested in the One that it'll be supported. It's also been rumored why Google is apparently releasing a 4.3 before the usual jump so that OEMs catch up. Fragmentation is not fiction, it's a fact.

Do average people know when the OS is typically unveiled and the ins and outs of it? Probably not. Would those same people knowingly buy a device knowing it will never get an update? Hell no. It's kind of implied when people shell out large amounts of money to buy off contract or sign their names on 2 yr. contracts that they expect what they're buying to get support, and rightfully so. Otherwise, if people didn't care then HTC wouldn't be in the mess it's in right now. You better believe if the One doesn't get updated that no one will buy from HTC again. Not after all the promises of updates and vibes of righting the ship that they've given off.

Tell that to my kids mother that blocked the update to ICS on her Nexus S for so long...because she didnt like how the phone looked....and didnt like the changes. And didnt even do a maintenance update on her EVO Design 4G recently. I explained how updates help.....but she didnt and doesnt care.

Thats the average user....thats the majority of the general public. Make the default update settings on Windows and OS X to not be automated or no notifications....and see how many ppl would update their desktop PC's. Updates and Apple comes into play ....after.....the majority of ppl buy the iPhone. Updates play a small part of the buying decision. If updates made a difference in buying decisions....Samsung wouldnt be so successful today. Ppl seems to forget or must havent been around in the days of the GS1.....or the Samsung phones before the GS1...Android and old Win Mo...

And if you think past experiences dont play a part in future purchases....ask BB and Microsoft how there mobile phones are doing....

Last edited:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Samsung has become Apple as far as phone popularity. I already changed my thinking about 2 years ago that the iPhone sells only because its an iPhone. Ppl obviously like it enough to keep buying it.

Same thing for Samsung. Its marketing...but its also a good product. Just like the iPhone..

I'm not talking about popularity, I'm talking about brand loyalty. The thing that will get customers to spend $650 on a phone at full price and not bat an eye. Samsung doesn't have that yet.

Really.....biased towards who? According to some users there....one weeks its iPhone Arena...one week its Android Arena.... I wouldnt call them one of the most biased phone sites on the web...I can think of a couple that have that title. I would call at least one writer biased towards Apple, the iPhone tho...

They even show positive love towards BB and WP.

They have one writer that is unbiased enough to post about Apple and Google hits and misses....and some nice editorials positive about Android, Google. Even the Android articles he writes that I dont agree with spin a positive light on Google.

I read them for years until I started noticing clear bias in their reviews and posts, more often than not in favor of android and Samsung. I don't care if their writers have opinion and express them in editorials, but their news posts have reflected those opinions for quite a while. A good example of this is their coverage of the Apple/Samsung trial; there wasn't a single post they made that didn't favor Samsung and bash apple.

As far as them being a reputable source.....a vast majority of their articles is based on an outside sources..like WSJ...or some other site. The writer that I feel is biased towards Apple, the iPhone does slant his articles to favor Apple, the iPhone by leaving out things from the source. Its wild cuz anyone can click on the source link and see the whole story...

I don't consider them reputable because of serious mistakes in reviews, bias when reporting news, and resorting to posting things like the one in the OP. They've gone downhill like Gizmodo, posting things for click bait rather than for any legitimate value. When they post things that lack any factual basis, they lose credibility.

cctpitts01

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Did anyone actually read my post? I said out of a really small sample size (2 stores), there's been good carrier support for the One. At those stores, the S4 was sold out while the One still had plenty available.

What part of that means the One is inferior? I'm pointing out an experience at just 2 stores.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Don't worry about it you did nothing wrong with your post you were not biased towards either phone and made it clear that it was your observation between 2 stores so I don't see what warranted the response that you are getting. Just shrug it off and don't sweat the small stuff. 😊😊😊

omniusovermind

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if you're posting this link as some kind of victory indicator or not but I've yet to see anything credible to show either of these phones is better than the other. Samsung has far superior marketing and brand awareness. But the s4 itself overall isn't any better or worse than the One

Sent from my (fill in the blank) phone using (fill in the blank software)

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I had two HTC Ones. Both had dead pixel issues. The first one had one big and bright one right up top and the second one had ten dead pixels scattered around. Both went back. No regrets.

barryl85

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site

I'm not talking about popularity, I'm talking about brand loyalty. The thing that will get customers to spend $650 on a phone at full price and not bat an eye. Samsung doesn't have that yet.

I read them for years until I started noticing clear bias in their reviews and posts, more often than not in favor of android and Samsung. I don't care if their writers have opinion and express them in editorials, but their news posts have reflected those opinions for quite a while. A good example of this is their coverage of the Apple/Samsung trial; there wasn't a single post they made that didn't favor Samsung and bash apple.

I don't consider them reputable because of serious mistakes in reviews, bias when reporting news, and resorting to posting things like the one in the OP. They've gone downhill like Gizmodo, posting things for click bait rather than for any legitimate value. When they post things that lack any factual basis, they lose credibility.

Who are you to talk and try to convince people who to consider as a reliable source of info, as far as i'm concerned anyone who speaks positive of Samsung you would be the first to call them bias.

You hate Samsung and the Galaxy range, excellent, we all know that now, move on.

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site

Really? Where have you been the past 2 years??? If you think Samsung doesnt have brand loyalty......I dont know what to say...... And really....whats the difference between popularity and brand loyalty.... You think ppl that bought the GS2, 3 and 4 never used a previous Samsung phone? It doesnt become a popular phone line, have lots of sales without brand loyalty. Even Motorola has brand loyalty....just not to the extent and level of Apple and Samsung....

So....a site that covers Apple, the iPhone....favorable and critical.....and also Android....favorable and critical...is biased? Same for WP and BB? Alrighty then..... Not to try to infer anything....but Android Central is an Android centric site. If any site has a chance to be biased...is a site centered around one particular manufacture, brand, OS, etc. I dont think Android Central is biased....just using them as an example. Perfect example is an article at Phone Arena about how Google set another milestone for stock price... Apple stock price is much lower. In the same article it mentions how Apple stock is still considered more valuable because of market cap. Tell me, how is that biased... Praises to both Google and Apple in the same article. Reviews being biased....it is what it is. I guess you can be labeled that when you try to be fair. I have yet to see a review thats considered 100% unbiased by every person reading the review. Anandtech is called biased towards Qualcomm in some reviews, articles....

I wouldnt go as far as to compare them to Gizmodo.....thats a big stretch to do that. Phone Arena is one of the few sites that do detailed photo comparisons, reviews. I havent seen serious mistakes in reviews.....but every review isnt gonna be liked or accepted by everyone. EVERY....EVERY iPhone review....they get called iPhone Arena.....let them talk about Google, Android positive in an Android review.....Android Arena. Kinda hard to call that biased....especially compared to Gizmodo.

Reporting news...like I said....a certain writer is what I would call biased towards the iPhone, Apple....but not the staff as a whole or the site as a whole. Factual basis? If thats the case.....WSJ or any of the sources they link to lack credibility then......they even site Anandtech as a source at times.... Dont tell me you think Anandtech isnt credible.....

Last edited:

Nreeldeep

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't usually come around these parts anymore, I'll admit I've bee6n run off by all the trolling and bickering by grown adults that's been going on. But this post was enough for me to log in and say what's quoted above is one of the more moronic things I've read on this particular website. You better believe people care about updates, average or advanced consumers. It's one of the reasons why people like Apple, because their device will be supported guaranteed. It's also one of the reasons Samsung is at the top because of their timely updates. It's also why no one bought HTC phones before this year, and why HTC is telling everyone it can that's interested in the One that it'll be supported. It's also been rumored why Google is apparently releasing a 4.3 before the usual jump so that OEMs catch up. Fragmentation is not fiction, it's a fact.

Nobody bought HTC's before this year? I seem to remember the original HTC EVO becoming Sprint's best selling mobile device of all time at that point.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Who are you to talk and try to convince people who to consider as a reliable source of info, as far as i'm concerned anyone who speaks positive of Samsung you would be the first to call them bias.

You hate Samsung and the Galaxy range, excellent, we all know that now, move on.

Ha. The S4 I bought that is currently out for delivery would beg to differ. So now don't you look silly.

madlaw1071

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
This is how it works around here:

Criticize the One and/or praise the S4 and you are a biased, fanboy/girl, paid by Samsung and ignorant, basically like an iSheep. This applies whether you are an end user or a professional reviewer.

Eric Kane 1

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Ha. The S4 I bought that is currently out for delivery would beg to differ. So now don't you look silly.

Glad you took the plunge, man.

To borrow a line from one Phil Nickinson:

"BREAKSCLUSIVE: GALAXY S4 WILL OUTSELL THE ONE, SURPRISING NOBODY."

Outsell doesn't mean outclass. The One is a great phone and covers the other side of the spectrum from the S4. If you're an HTC One owner, the only thing you can do is spread the word to people you know. I'm not sure how much faith you can put in the HTC marketing machine, but you can certainly do some of the work yourself.

Flood them with marketing ideas on Twitter. Tell them BoomSound isn't going to sell the phone, or briefly mentioning "All metal". Tell them to focus on Zoe and Highlights.

aggie

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
This is how it works around here:

Criticize the One and/or praise the S4 and you are a biased, fanboy/girl, paid by Samsung and ignorant, basically like an iSheep. This applies whether you are an end user or a professional reviewer.

Agreed, but this applies both ways. I've been a member of several of these forums for years and I'm still in disbelief about how sensitive and childish some of these cell phone debates are. It is on the level of Ford vs. Chevy, if not worse. It is like people try to force their opinion of what device is best on other people and it then turns into a poo flinging contest trying to get the final word or to pound one's opinion in till either one side loses interest or the thread gets locked.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
These debates will never end.. Simply because people defend their phone as if it's a part of them and if someone likes something else... Well... You've seen it :p.

Sent from my Sprint S3 using AC forums.

barryl85

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site

Nah i'd say that makes you sound even worse since you bought something that you portray you can't stand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ife45201