S5 finger print scanner not working - AT ALL

Jaerka

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
My fingerprint scanner on my S5 has stopped working this week. I updated to lollipop back in January and it worked fine after the update. However, a few days ago, my phone was not picking up my fingerprint and the animation with the triangle pointing towards the sensor wasn't moving. I used the backup password to get in and as I needed to use my phone for work, I switched to Pin code access. When I tried to switch back to fingerprint scanner I started getting the "An error has occurred with the fingerprint sensor. If this message appears repeatedly, please restart your device." message. I have tried clearing the cache for fingerprints, restarting the device, taking out the battery and sim card, but this does not seem to resolve anything.

I really do not want to do a factory reset, but I have contacted Samsung Support. Has anyone else has this issue recently? I haven't seen many posts on forums about this issue. I know my phone is under a 2 year warranty, so hopefully Samsung will just fix it for me?

hello i have same problem fingerprint animation most of time isnt moving i did factory reset but still didnt fix it

Incog Nito2

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I just got a Galaxy S5 mini and wondered why mine didn't work. Turns out the protective seal over the home button was stopping the fingerprint reader working. So check that for starters.

Aquilino Calderon

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys, I think I found the ultimate solution to this problem, after trying all possible methods, well, we must first become root, then we must have a file manager, I have root explorer, and in the application vamo the following directory : system> priv app> fingerprintservice> here pose finger on FINGERSERVICE.APK and give permissions and mark the first box to the right of the row that says run .... the above and give you accept, restart the s5 and you should be running smoothly.
Screenshot_2015-04-20-17-53-51[1].jpg

Louiza Nutt

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same problem with my Samsung Alpha (Dec 2014).
I was using the finger scanner successfully then one morning, it just stopped working. I don't want to do a factory re-set either (groan) but will, if it fixes the problem. Sounds like it doesn't though.

When i go to Settings>Finger Scanner>Fingerprint Manager i get a message "Attention: An error has occurred with the fingerprint sensor. If this message appears repeatedly, restart your device". The device has been restarted a number of times since this problem presented.

Have tried progressively:
1. physically cleaning around the sensor with an "Screen-Clene antistatic wipe for monitor and filter screens" in case of any oil build-up from my fingers
2. clearing the cache in Application Manager>Fingerprints
3. clearing the cache in Applications>Fingerprint Passport (Nok Nok)
4. deleting data in Applications>Fingerprint Passport.

None of these work for this particular problem.

Samsung will be my next stop but wanted to see if i could resolve myself first.

Vegrax

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Hello guys!I've been having the same problem since i've got my phone.I've tried the "backup and reset" thing and it didn't work.The thing is i don't even have the file "fingerscanner"...Even if i try to delete the cache of it,i can't find it.It is not in my phone.Any ideas what to do ?
-Using Samsung Galaxy S5 by the way.

annangel1914

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi Sirmaru...i have been using fingerprints to access my phone since i bought it less than a month ago. Suddenly this morning i woke up and my fingerprint is no longer recognized. The problem is i already forgot my PIN... You mention about changing the PIN through Android Device Manager...how can I do that? I went to internet but it only installed the ADM... I think it can only be accessed once I open my phone. Pls help...im already panicking...

mfshs

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
I have the same issue with a samsung galaxy alpha. After 7 months of usage, suddenly my fingerprint scanner doesn't work with the same message.
My screen lock setup window is completely locked as well. I can not setup any other form of screen lock. It looks more like a virus than a hardware problem.

Louiza Nutt

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
So an update on this issue - I received an update to the Android OS. This allowed me to access the fingerscanner menu WITHOUT needing to scan my finger. So i was able to turn the feature off. I now use a PIN. At least i dont have to keep putting in the "back-up passphrase" to be able to get it which was a huge pain.

Louiza Nutt

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
hey mate, as I said in my last post: I received an update to the Android OS. This allowed me to access the fingerscanner menu WITHOUT needing to scan my finger. So i was able to turn the feature off. I now use a PIN. At least i dont have to keep putting in the "back-up passphrase" to be able to get it which was a huge pain.
Do you know how to look for the latest OS upgrade? and do you know how to go into the settings and change the security entry from 'fingerprint' to 'PIN' (or whatever your 2nd preference is)?

rjgarnold

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
I have to say that, although not perfect, cleaning with a Qtip and rubbing alcohol around the entire screen and scanner seemed to help. Also, when I went into apps-->fingerprint scanner, I no longer get an error message and it shows that 3 fingerprints are registered. Hope this helps.

TyloRen

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Same happened to me and I couldn't get the fingerprint scanner to come back up. It just showed the keyboard and alternative password. For future reference I agree with Daryll G.

More specifically though. the path is "Settings" --- "Applications" --- "Application Manager" --- Swipe three times left to "All" Heading and scroll down to "Fingerprints". Press "Clear Cache". If this doesnt work, delete your registered fingerprints ("Settings" --- "Fingerprint" (under Personal heading) "Fingerprint Manager" hold down to delete existing and register new one by selecting the "+" sign. Hope this helps.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RegDarwin