S6 on Verizon unable to connect to WiFi at work, WiFi at home works fine

MarkHansen

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I have a new S6 on Verizon and am trying to connect to the WiFi network at my office. I'm able to connect to the WiFi at my home, but that's the only other one I've tried.

The WiFi at work uses a dual-step authentication, where you connect to the WiFi and then browse to an internet site, where you are first directed to a page where I must accept their Terms & Conditions. However, this page is never shown on my phone - the browser just said there is no network.

In fact, when I click on Connect on the WiFi entry for my office network, it says "Connecting..." and then nothing. No WiFi icon in the status bar or any error is shown.

I've shown this to our IT folks and they have no answer - they simply state that everyone else is able to connect (although I have the only S6 it seems).

I've read through the WiFi troubleshooting guide I've seen in other posts, but nothing seemed to help.

I've rebooted the phone, "forgot" the wifi and re-created it - nothing works.

The phone is running Android 5.1.1

I've contacted Verizon support and they suggested that I do a factory reset on the phone, but I hate to go to such an extreme step. Is there any way I can debug the issue to determine why it is not connecting on the WiFi?

Thanks,

MarkHansen

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Thanks. I've wiped the cache partition and will try to connect to the office WiFi when I go in there tomorrow and then will report back. Is there any way to debug why the WiFi isn't connecting? To view the logs, etc.?

MarkHansen

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I tried wiping the cache, but that didn't help. Still unable to get connected to the WiFi at work.

Any other suggestions? Is a factory reset the next thing to try?

Thanks,

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'd probably try factory reset next. Sorry, this issue is always frustrating, and not easy to solve.:(

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I tried wiping the cache, but that didn't help. Still unable to get connected to the WiFi at work.

Any other suggestions? Is a factory reset the next thing to try?

Thanks,
Try typing a different web address to see if that brings you to the web authentication page. I have seen that work on some wifi spots I use.

MarkHansen

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
If I understand you correctly, yes. I've tried rebooting the phone, clearing the cache, "forgetting" the WiFi connection, creating a new connection using the same name - nothing seems to work. In all cases, when I browse anywhere, I just get an error saying there is no network.

I've tried with Chrome (which came with the phone) and with Firefox.

MarkHansen

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Are you going to wifi>more>add network every time you try connecting to it?

-or-

Are you clicking on it that comes up from the scan?
I've tried both - several times. When I go to WiFi -> More -> Add Network, I've entered the SSID value for the network and then the password. I've also gone to WiFi and just tapped on the entry in the list (which it gets from scanning) and then entered the password.

MarkHansen

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
May try IP Tools to see if it will give you any logged data when you try to connect.

Thanks for that. I've installed it and will try it while trying to connect to the WiFi when I get back there tomorrow. It doesn't look like it offers any debugging information, but I'll see what it says when I get there.

AKAndy

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Your IT people are blowing you off, or just being lazy. There is more they could do to help you. If they wanted to. I guarantee if you were a VIP they would spend some time to troubleshoot this.

dpomerance

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
You can have the same issue with some hotel WiFI that require authentication. I have found that if I bring up a browser and key in a "different" web site, like Google or Microsoft, or anything that might not be already in your cache that it forces the logon screen to show up. Sometimes it just doesn't work and I just go to 4G.

MarkHansen

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Well, I tried to connect again today. I did it by forgetting the connection and then re-creating it from the scanned list, creating it manually (using the same SSID) and also purposefully providing an invalid password. In all cases, it acts the same: It says "Connecting..." for a second and then nothing.

Each time I opened a browser and tried to go to several different web addresses, still reports there is no network.

When I opened the IP Tools (mentioned above) they don't show anything. It just said there is no network connection.

Does this phone not support the 2-step authentication? I need to find another source of WiFi that uses this type of auth and try to connect there and see what that does.

Frustrating...

Thanks for any help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to Settings>Wi-fi, long-press the work network, tap Modify Network, then Advanced. It's not set up for a Manual Proxy, is it? If it is, change it to None (unless, of course, the network requires a proxy).

MarkHansen

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Go to Settings>Wi-fi, long-press the work network, tap Modify Network, then Advanced. It's not set up for a Manual Proxy, is it? If it is, change it to None (unless, of course, the network requires a proxy).

IP Settings are set to DHCP, Proxy is set to None and Security is set to WPA2/PSK.

edit: We don't use proxy settings here.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you have any idea what kind of security they use? Have you tried changing it to WEP or some other choice?

MarkHansen

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I was told the WPA2/PSK is the correct setting for our network, but I tried to connect using the WEP and got the same result.

By the way, when I'm looking at the list of available WiFi networks, this entry shows with full strength.

Thanks,

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jameszang48