S8 demos are on the floor at Best Buy

EMGSM

Trusted Member
Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Stopped by my Best Buy on the way home work to check out the new phone. I'll post pictures below and maybe comments later but after seeing them in person and holding them I have to say this phone does feel very nice and of course the screens are beautiful. I don't want to like them too much because I'm just concerned about the battery size right now .

Makes me more impatient regarding my preorder. Thanks for the pix

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Jod=Jump on Demand with Tmobile. My 7Edge is on that and I can Jump to another phone up to 3 times a year.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I played around with the S8+ at Best Buy yesterday and my fingers really had to strain to reach the fingerprint sensor. As a right-handed person, I had to strain my tiny fingers to the top-left rear of the phone to reach it. This'll be an issue for those of us with small hands (I'm not afraid to admit that!). I'm glad I got the G6. I can easily reach the fingerprint sensor on the back.

For those of you getting the S8+, it's an amazing device. It's the fastest Samsung I've ever used. But for me, it's a pass because of this design flaw.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
So weird because the way I hold my phones, my finger naturally hits where the S8 FPS is. I actually have to adjust to hit the one on the G6 because I find it too low and too small. I can't be the only one.

With that said, I can't wait until they can finally embed it under the screen. That will be a game changer.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Got a chance to play around with them at my local costco, under the Verizon kiosk. They were taking pre-orders. Edge screens continue to be a problem for me. I had trouble gripping it firmly without touching the edge screens. FWIW I have large enough hands to operate my LG V10 one handed, without fear of dropping, so its the edge screen ergonomics that are a problem. I also found myself accidentally pressing the side buttons a lot, they didn't have enough "click resistance" at least for me. Both the 8 and 8+ were cable clamped with a huge alarm thingie and tethered to a spring loaded cord... so I am not sure if this first impression means anything at all. FWIW, all the other phones were clamped just the same way and I did not have the same ergonomic problems with them at all.

Cosmetically STUNNING LOOKING piece of gear (can not emphasize this enough). Made everything else (except maybe the S7 variants) look clunky and chunky by comparison. iPhones in particular looked like the very earliest iPods.

IMHO they will sell a TON of these... not to me though.

Last edited:

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm still really on the fence but handling the G8 I can't discount it completely now. 50/50 either way. The G6 feels great too but both batteries were dead so I didnt get to play but imagine it would be nice and smooth and clean looking UI.

I'm really going to have to wait for reviews and see if either one has a major flaw like battery life and more comparisons on the camera.

I don't think can go wrong with each and really good LG went this direction because it's distinctive from the S8 and it will come to personal preference on style... the LG has a more industrial look clean sharp lines, looks chunky but feels so good and flat screen while S8 is more curves and fluid and art. The G6 feels more durable. The S8 feels a bit fragile... not sure if it will pass the iphone butt test lol. Clean UI of the G6. Samsung extras and extra bixby buttons etc.

Bro Soo u getting G6 or S8. ?
Iam still going with G6 want flat screen and dual camera

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Stopped by Best Buy again to get more feel time and keep evaluating. Like to get some more time with G6. Do notice squeezing all those pixels in a narrower phone makes icons and fonts smaller.

I really hope they don't make the Note 8 any bigger than the S8 Plus.

Attachments

• IMG_4195.jpg
    IMG_4195.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4196.jpg
    IMG_4196.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 41

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Tried it today. Bravo Samsung! It looks absolutely stunning.

I love this whole 18:9 for 2017, I can't believe how easily it can be handled.

What still puzzles is this obsession with MAKING SMARTPHONES SO THIN, Samsung could've easily made this thicker and put a larger battery. Didn't they do this with the S6 > S7?

lgossin

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I went to my local BB, got to play with the phone, all colors were out, went with an S8 in Orchid Gray. Samsung Rep was there and very helpful. If you want the phone in the US BB has the current best deal. saved 3 dollars a month over buying directly from Verizon

20blks

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I went to my local BB, got to play with the phone, all colors were out, went with an S8 in Orchid Gray. Samsung Rep was there and very helpful. If you want the phone in the US BB has the current best deal. saved 3 dollars a month over buying directly from Verizon

The best buy deal only works out if you're paying for the phone in installments

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I played with the Verizon S8 plus yesterday and I was disappointed that it looks like verizon has once again pulled samsung cloud off the phone which is very disappointing

gpatrick15

Mar 27, 2009
Visit site
I don't worry about updates nearly as much as I used too. I know it's still a big problem with Samsung and other brands, but as long as the product works I'm good. I won't keep the phone long enough to worry about missing out. And Samsung especially has implemented a lot of new elements before Google got around to baking them into stock Android anyway. I used to worry about updates whenever I purchased a device, but since coming back to Android from a brief stint with the iPhone, it hasn't been a priority to me.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLegend