S8+ Too Big / Long?

Dan_B1979

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
The S8 Plus is perfectly sized IMO

It's length is well suited to its marginally narrower width over the nearest comparison handsets..

TBH, it's aimed at a market that's wants a larger phone, it's filled a huge gap where the Note 7 exploded and left a hole, IMO

dhuhtala

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I had the S6 edge+ before this and I was a bit disappointed that the S8+ was so narrow. Not crazy about the new aspect ratio. Honestly, I wish the screen was bigger. If it was this height but wider with a 16:9 ratio, it would be ideal. I have larger than average hands maybe but I want a LARGE phone!

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
For me, it was a simple matter of going to a store and trying both models. I found the GS8 more to my liking. The lower price made the decision a lot easier.

wafcar1

Mar 20, 2016
Visit site
Ive just returned from Carphone Warehouse having swapped my S8+ for the S8. I didn't't road test. The phone is too big for me personally, the length was just way too much. My S8 that I've just today exchanged for feels absolutely awesome.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
on my 3rd day using the plus and i came from a note 4 i compared my note to the plus before deciding which to get the they were about the same height but the s8 is narrower which to me is a + (no pun intended) i can't easily reach the top but ofc when you get a phablet you kinda expect it otherwise very satisfied and no issues getting to the finger scanner.I do however use the tripple home press for the smaller window if i need it.

clipskid

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I have the exact same feeling. Initially in store the 8+ felt fine, but after using it for a day it became more noticeable at how top heavy it felt. I didn't feel secure holding it, had an unbalanced feel for me. Im thinking similar to how Priv owners described with their phones. Im bringing back for an s8. Kinda choked cause I wanted a bigger screen and longer battery life but at the end of the day functionality wins out.

p.s This is a slippery phone adding to the unstable feeling. A case did help but not solve the issue for me.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I haven't seen too many people complaining about the size of the Plus.

I got mine on Wednesday and LOVE the phone, but I'm still unsure about the size. I think the S8 might feel better. I've got to Best Buy and played around with both, but after a couple days with the S8+ it just still feels long and awkward (and big in my front jean pocket). I'm considering exchanging it for the S8. Anyone else?
Being honest i come from a note 4 and i compared both s8 to it and overall the + is a tad longer but then again you get a bigger screen in the size of slightly taller note 4 but it's narrower which feels much easier to handle imo. Tbh i may have bigger hands than i think as size never was something i thought about but if you have a hard time usually with bigger phone i would consider the regular s8 as it's about the same size as a g6 which is smaller than a 7plus or most other phones out right now.

nuangel2

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Coming from note 4 to note7 and then lg v20 large phone is not a problem for me. I love my son 8 +no hand fatigue here

john_ath

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I love big phones, my current dailydriver is a Note5 and before that a S6 edge plus.
So for me, s8+'s size is just fine!
In fact it doesn't look like a 6.2' screen! ..because of the curves and the 18.5/9 aspect ratio.
It looks like a 5.7'-5.9' 16/9 phone.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
The plus is fine for my average sized man hands. Most people around me have the iPhone 6 plus or 7plus, and my phone is physically smaller than theirs ...I think it just takes getting used to. And the battery life trade off is worth any small inconvenience of size!

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I would say last year phones like the iPhone 7, Samsung S7, Pixel falls in the small size, phones like the S7 Edge, OnePlus 3/3T would fall in the large category, and phones like the iPhone 7+ and LG V20 would be more in the phablet category. But that seems to be changing this year...

People may have the mindset the S8 and S8+ as the small and large variant but I really feel people have to rethink the phones and see the S8 as moving up to the large category and the S8+ is really more of a phablet.

Yes, the S8 has the width and feel of a small iPhone 7 or S7 but has the height of the S7 Edge. The S8+ has the width of the S7 Edge, but it has the height closer to Iphone 7 Plus or V20 height which I consider more phablet sized. If phablets don't bother you then the + will work for you. If you are not a fan of phablets, then it takes getting use to.

I personally don't like phablets and felt the sweet spot size for me were phones that were in the 5.1" to 5.5" sized phones of last year but unfortunately the trend seem to be go to bigger :-\ and if I go with an S8, whichever one I go with will be a compromise. My perfect S8 would be the S8 with the width of the S8+ and the larger 3500 mah battery.

Used both and opted for the s8.

The + was out of my comfort zone and felt a little top heavy for me.

Each to their own. ;)

Last edited:

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I would say last year phones like the iPhone 7, Samsung S7, Pixel falls in the small size, phones like the S7 Edge, OnePlus 3/3T would fall in the large category, and phones like the iPhone 7+ and LG V20 would be more in the phablet category. But that seems to be changing this year...

People may have the mindset the S8 and S8+ as the small and large variant but I really feel people have to rethink the phones and see the S8 as moving up to the large category and the S8+ is really more of a phablet.

Yes, the S8 has the width and feel of a small iPhone 7 or S7 but has the height of the S7 Edge. The S8+ has the width of the S7 Edge, but it has the height closer to Iphone 7 Plus or V20 height which I consider more phablet sized. If phablets don't bother you then the + will work for you. If you are not a fan of phablets, then it takes getting use to.

I personally don't like phablets and felt the sweet spot size for me were phones that were in the 5.1" to 5.5" sized phones of last year but unfortunately the trend seem to be go to bigger :-\ and if I go with an S8, whichever one I go with will be a compromise. My perfect S8 would be the S8 with the width of the S8+ and the larger 3500 mah battery.

Well is Phablet the screen size or the body size? I guess that is the question. I would say I like a bigger screen and smaller body so the S8+ is right in my sweet spot.

I would say I think you are in minority if you want bigger body and smaller screen...LOL nothing wrong with that. I would sacrifice some width for a bigger battery. The one on the plus is fine for me, because it gets me through the day, but I wouldn't more battery capacity for those days when it is needed.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Body size. I consider an iPhone 7 Plus I believed is pretty much phablet sized... bigger than large phones mentioned like the S7 Edge and the 7 Plus only has a 5.5 inch screen.

Yeah, I'd like a middle ground of size because there are times mentioned elsewhere I'd like a smaller footprint like outdoor activities like running... I see those people with honking iPhone Pluses strapped to their arms and just doesn't work for me. Been trying to avoid phones like i7P and V20s but the trend is go bigger. :-\

And for me one handed op is tougher on the + reaching controls near the top... why do apps like Facebook have their menu controls on the bottom for iOS but for their Android version, where most phones on the large size anyways, puts the same menu buttons on the top making one handed use crazy is always puzzling to me. :confused: I believe it was Facebook I used as example but just an example I see so often with their Android counterparts (Twitter is another I believe)

Well is Phablet the screen size or the body size? I guess that is the question. I would say I like a bigger screen and smaller body so the S8+ is right in my sweet spot.

I would say I think you are in minority if you want bigger body and smaller screen...LOL nothing wrong with that. I would sacrifice some width for a bigger battery. The one on the plus is fine for me, because it gets me through the day, but I wouldn't more battery capacity for those days when it is needed.

Last edited:

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Body size. I consider an iPhone 7 Plus I believed is pretty much phablet sized... bigger than large phones mentioned like the S7 Edge and the 7 Plus only has a 5.5 inch screen.

Yeah, I'd like a middle ground of size because there are times mentioned elsewhere I'd like a smaller footprint like outdoor activities like running... I see those people with honking iPhone Pluses strapped to their arms and just doesn't work for me. Been trying to avoid phones like i7P and V20s but the trend is go bigger. :-\

And for me one handed op is tougher on the + reaching controls near the top... why do apps like Facebook have their menu controls on the bottom for iOS but for their Android version, where most phones on the large size anyways, puts the same menu buttons on the top making one handed use crazy is always puzzling to me. :confused: I believe it was Facebook I used as example but just an example I see so often with their Android counterparts (Twitter is another I believe)

I get that, one handed usage size matters.... hahaha

Hell I can use my MediaPad 8 inch tablet one handed... just not effectively.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
That depends. What phone did you have before ? I had the Note 7, then had to go to the 7edge . It was too narrow and small for me so then got a v20 as a backup and kept the 7edge to jump to either the s8 series or Note 8. Checked out s8 and 8plus. For me the s8 was just too small. The 8plus is great-reminds me a little of the Note 7 size wise.