Samsung event in NY on 8/29 for SGS II

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
They can't rush it to market. They need to announce, build hype then release. I would expect the device to hit a carrier within a week no more than 2 after the event. Too fast and you don't get enough lead time to build hype and too long you lose the momentum and people will move on.

That's why I believe it will be ready to go September 8th on Verizon. There is a sweet spot that you must hit. Too short and you miss an opportunity to build press and too long you lose momentum. It has to drop somewhere "fast" and Verizon looks to be the one who will launch it first. My opinion of course.

Sent from my Droid

jt_83

Aug 2, 2011
Visit site
They can't rush it to market. They need to announce, build hype then release. I would expect the device to hit a carrier within a week no more than 2 after the event. Too fast and you don't get enough lead time to build hype and too long you lose the momentum and people will move on.

That's why I believe it will be ready to go September 8th on Verizon. There is a sweet spot that you must hit. Too short and you miss an opportunity to build press and too long you lose momentum. It has to drop somewhere "fast" and Verizon looks to be the one who will launch it first. My opinion of course.

Sent from my Droid

They could announce it tomorrow if they wanted to. They're not timing the release around this press conference. They're timing the press conference around the release. My point is they had an opportunity to gain market share and they more than likely missed it.

Castor Troy

Banned
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
They could announce it tomorrow if they wanted to. They're not timing the release around this press conference. They're timing the press conference around the release. My point is they had an opportunity to gain market share and they more than likely missed it.

Handset is already in Europe (sold 6 million units) and its on the verge of being released on all carriers. How are they missing an opportunity to gain market share?

Sent from my Droid

allan1313

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site

Sent from my Droid

I agree with CK.....Only because I want it to be true:p

Of course the next question is does anyone believe in a Oct/Nov Prime ICS release on VZW? Could info on that be revealed at this as well??

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Last year's Galaxy S USA launch event took place on June 30, 2010.

Here's the YouTube link for those who may want to reminisce: Samsung Galaxy S USA Launch Event - YouTube

Launch dates that followed the Samsung launch event were:

T-Mobile: July 15th
AT&T: July 18th
Sprint: August 31st
Verizon: September 9th

So the first drop was 2 weeks later. I think it will be different this time though, due to the amount of time that has passed since the International release. Last year's Galaxy S first hit the Singapore market on June 4th, and the USA launch announcement was only 3 weeks later.

clearrants

May 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree with CK.....Only because I want it to be true:p

Of course the next question is does anyone believe in a Oct/Nov Prime ICS release on VZW? Could info on that be revealed at this as well??

No way are they announcing a Prime at the event. That would only detract from the SGSII... imagine the announcement:

"Here's our amazing new phone the SGSII! But wait, there's an EVEN BETTER phone that is better than the SGSII in every way coming out just a month after! But seriously guys, buy the SGSII."

Also, I might be wrong about this, but doesn't Google do the Nexus announcements?

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Sent from my Droid

To add to that, the sprint version is rumored to go for sale Sept 9th. I haven't heard about ATT but I wouldn't doubt it if it is the same week/weekend. Hopefully we see Verizon's pass the FCC really soon. They don't want to wait too long cause if it fails FCC testing it is going to get pushed way back. They should give themselves time to fix it if need be.

DavinFelth

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Really? Have you been reading the Bionic forums at all? OG Droid launched 21 months ago as of next week. All those people will be eligible for a new phone as of next week. If I'm Samsung, I'd love to take as many of those customers as I can away from Moto.

It's basic marketing. Your product has something that no other product has. You know your competitor is going to change that. You better cash in while you have the chance, or you risk losing customers to said competitor.

I bought my OG Droid on release day and became eligible for a discounted upgrade on July 6th (my last new every two). I believe it's a 20 month cycle.

Serial Fordicator

May 15, 2011
Visit site
and if they announce it and its 3g?

Then I wait for prime and pray its VZW. If not, I keep waiting. If bionic would have came out in may, I'd have it. I'm not buying it now with it locked down tighter than a virgin on a Monday night. I just got into the wonderful world or rooting about a month ago.

Jdm4292

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else dread the Sgs2 having 3g instead of lte? Also Im fearful the stratosphere isn't the gs2 and we have to wait until Sept 29 (intriguingly 1 month after Samsung mobile announcement). what if there's a crappy processor in it?? No exynos?? -- maybe the announcement will herald good news :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Rand0m

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else dread the Sgs2 having 3g instead of lte? Also Im fearful the stratosphere isn't the gs2 and we have to wait until Sept 29 (intriguingly 1 month after Samsung mobile announcement). what if there's a crappy processor in it?? No exynos?? -- maybe the announcement will herald good news :)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I am very nervous about this too and I would really have to think about it if they do change the processor. LTE may not be the end of the world for me, I get pretty decent 3g speeds with my droid and it will help keep the device small.

My biggest fear is that this phone will come with LTE and have the same specs as the Euro version, but have absolutely terrible battery life.

Edit: And please don't be 3d!

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
They announce on August 29 and the roadmap shows it hitting on September 8, They need time to do the pre-orders.

If they do pre-orders. Not all have pre-orders. And some only have a couple of days for pre-orders. So, don't really need that much time.

Yeah I completely agree. It is very possible that they will announce the product on the 29th and simultaneously announce that the pre-order is starting. That is a full 10 days to do pre-orders so they even have a little bit of time after the announcement to start pre-orders to get a full weeks worth of them. I agree with what CK is saying though. In my mind this validates the rumored release date because it gives them the perfect amount of time to build hype before the release date. 10 days will build a good amount of hype while still giving time for pre-orders. Then again though I would probably find a way to justify anything in my at this point.

In terms of 3G though, as much as I want to say I would buy it without it, I wouldn't. I live in the northeast area of the US and we really don't have good 3G data speeds here. Also, I am kind of an anomaly in this forum because I like to keep technology as long as possible. Since I am going to have this phone for the full two years until I get my next upgrade, I want it to last as long as possible. I feel like I will really regret having 3G in a year. Technology progresses really fast and pretty much the only thing you can do when you buy a phone is try to make it last as long as possible. I don't feel like that is possible without 4G.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Yeah I completely agree. It is very possible that they will announce the product on the 29th and simultaneously announce that the pre-order is starting. That is a full 10 days to do pre-orders so they even have a little bit of time after the announcement to start pre-orders to get a full weeks worth of them. I agree with what CK is saying though. In my mind this validates the rumored release date because it gives them the perfect amount of time to build hype before the release date. 10 days will build a good amount of hype while still giving time for pre-orders. Then again though I would probably find a way to justify anything in my at this point.

In terms of 3G though, as much as I want to say I would buy it without it, I wouldn't. I live in the northeast area of the US and we really don't have good 3G data speeds here. Also, I am kind of an anomaly in this forum because I like to keep technology as long as possible. Since I am going to have this phone for the full two years until I get my next upgrade, I want it to last as long as possible. I feel like I will really regret having 3G in a year. Technology progresses really fast and pretty much the only thing you can do when you buy a phone is try to make it last as long as possible. I don't feel like that is possible without 4G.

I completely agree with you there. I'm in the same boat.

anon(49997)

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
CK,

Like myself you have an OG Droid and are lying in wait.
I have not heard you mention lately what handset you are eyeballing or hoping to try first?
I know WebbTop has you backed off some on the bionic.

What are your thoughts these days?

rosser

Former Advisor
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I bought my OG Droid on release day and became eligible for a discounted upgrade on July 6th (my last new every two). I believe it's a 20 month cycle.

I think that if you are on a family plan, the accountholder gets one upgrade a year (I could be wrong though).

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe