Samsung event in NY on 8/29 for SGS II

d-backs1#AC

Banned
Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
A Motorola Fan Boy and getting enthused on the SGII I have been looking at some of the OE SGII accessories and goodness! I just may have to eat crow on the Bionic side and have the SGII for desert.

I have no use for WebbTop and was not going to discriminate because of it, but looking at the accessories the Sammy has I am finding myself ignoring the Bionic.
That Car cradle is right up my application alley, and the extended battery case that does not require removing the OE battery and still fits in the dock & cradle is pretty slick. I can see that saving my bacon on long surveillance details away from a charging source.
The desktop dock is pretty sweet too. I don't think I'll need the sound horn though.

As the Bionic delays kept coming I was losing the excitement, but now I cannot wait for the Sammy announcement on the 29th.

Yeah but since it seems that each carrier will change their version of the sgs2 those accessories will change and be limited as each carrier changes their version.

anon(49997)

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
@CK No, I was going on positive remarks and from others & the press until now and have been really digging recently, lurking UK forums and such getting more and more enthused as I read.

@d-backs1 Yeh, that goes without saying. I hope Verizon gets it and doesn't do too much neutering.

It sounds like battery life is OK on the unit. It seems Sammy has a customizable power managemet app that helps also.

No,,,, I have pretty much been aware of the SGII being a capable unit overseas but wearing the blinders for the Bionic only.
I don't know what happened to Moto but its looking like it could cost them some loyalty in the market place.

d-backs1#AC

Banned
Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
@CK No, I was going on positive remarks and from others & the press until now and have been really digging recently, lurking UK forums and such getting more and more enthused as I read.

@d-backs1 Yeh, that goes without saying. I hope Verizon gets it and doesn't do too much neutering.

It sounds like battery life is OK on the unit. It seems Sammy has a customizable power managemet app that helps also.

No,,,, I have pretty much been aware of the SGII being a capable unit overseas but wearing the blinders for the Bionic only.
I don't know what happened to Moto but its looking like it could cost them some loyalty in the market place.

Everyone hopes verizon doesnt do that but if they do I will just wait and see if any of the rumored upcoming phones pan out. It is sad how the carriers at times ruin these phones. Why can't they just let the phones be? lol

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I sure hope its good news on the Epic Touch 4g for Sprint and other carriers.. My Epic 4g hasn't been very good to me lately and I'm about ready for a change...

anon(49997)

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Well........... If Sammy announces the release in the US on the 29th to Verizon....... will Verizon have to camp on the phone for a month or so, or perhaps are they testing it now?

All the hype about it releasing the same time as the bionic in early Sept does not jive with Verizon's known extensive testing periods.

d-backs1#AC

Banned
Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Well........... If Sammy announces the release in the US on the 29th to Verizon....... will Verizon have to camp on the phone for a month or so, or perhaps are they testing it now?

All the hype about it releasing the same time as the bionic in early Sept does not jive with Verizon's known extensive testing periods.

I'm sure if the release is anytime within the next month or so they have been testing them for awhile.

PhoneJunkie

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Kind of strange that the Verizon version hasn't passed through the FCC yet, and everyone thinking they will release it first. Probably doesn't mean anything. I would just think it would be the other way around.

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
It's because their version is the slider which did pass through the fcc.

Hello all... I've been camping out in the Idaho wilderness for the past week. I figured by the time I got back to civilization there would be some news about the GS2. Sadly, not much has changed.

However, unless I missed something the VZW vapor slider has not passed through the FCC. It was leaked via photo and for all we know it's a test phone.

pprovazky

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Is it unheard of for an announcement and a launch to occur on the same day? :crosses fingers:
I dont believe in this launching day. So far it has always been delayed. Samsung always better delays to be sure it will work well. Not always all sw versions work, but Samsung does its best.

originalcopy

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
From the FP: http://www.androidcentral.com/samsungs-whipping-something-aug-29-looks-galaxy-s-ii

samsung-event-2_0.jpg

Looks like that "launching in August in the US" line was a bit premature. But at least we're finally getting an announcement. Hopefully, there'll be some VZW news in there too!

Edit: lol had to update the img link because Phil decided to blur out the location and time of the event. Don't think it's really that secret as it's in a public store (Samsung Experience at 6pm). Also, BGR has it unblurred as well.
So excited!

clearrants

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Why the blocked out text under the date?

apparently, it's a press only event so they had to block out the time and location but nothing's stopping you if you want to stand outside the store during the event! it's at the samsung experience store in columbus circle (3rd floor) at 6pm

gregba

Feb 23, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone remember how much excitement there was for the original Galaxy S announcement? I havent really paid attention, or followed a phones release until the SGS2, so I have no idea.

Is there more pressure on the carriers to get the phones released quickly after this event because of the excitement for the SGS2? Or were people this excited for the 1st one as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickness54