Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Different Phone Packaging - Was I ripped off by AT&T?

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I bought the Note 3 from AT&T a month or two after release and when they brought the phone out, it was in the Samsung box/sleeve (the brown-ish samsung box)

I sold that of course and recently bought another Note 3. This time when they brought it out it was in the orange and white AT&T box.
My original Note 3 was perfect in every way, camera was great etc.
This "new" AT&T boxed Note 3 has been buggy, the camera doesn't seem anywhere near as good as the first one I bought.

Are the AT&T packaged phones "refurbs" and they aren't telling people? or Returns that someone already used and brought back ( and AT&T repackaged it )

I didn't even notice the package until I was on google looking for pictures so I can sell the Note 3 and saw the Samsung box and realized mine was in the AT&T box.....
Anyone work for AT&T that can shed some light on this?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It's actually kinda weird that they had one in a Samsung box, unless that location does its own boxing and they took it right out of a bulk container... Typically Samsung ships them to AT&T in the original packaging and AT&T will unload them and put them into their own box with their extra materials. With some devices, like the S4 they just used the same Samsung box; however on the Note 3 and many other devices they used AT&T packaging (and changed the box contents, to exclude headphones for example). That wouldn't necessarily indicate anything about an opened-package, return or refurbished unit, but getting the device in an AT&T box is normal and the expected container.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Typically Samsung ships them to AT&T in the original packaging and AT&T will unload them and put them into their own box with their extra materials.

Seriously? Do you have any source for that information? It would be an incredible wasted expense to unpack and repack millions of phones. Why would they do it that way, rather than have Samsung ship the AT&T packaging to begin with?

It's not like AT&T just logs into Samsung's website and orders a few million pre-packaged phones.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Note 3 from AT&T a month or two after release and when they brought the phone out, it was in the Samsung box/sleeve (the brown-ish samsung box)...

This time when they brought it out it was in the orange and white AT&T box.

Your first purchase is the one that's weird. I've never seen or heard of a new AT&T Note 3 coming in anything other than the AT&T box.

rvhs03

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
My friend bought a Note 3 on ATT on a 2 year contract. It came in the Samsung box. I purchased one from ATT as well, but on the Next plan. It came in the orange box.

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Seriously? Do you have any source for that information? It would be an incredible wasted expense to unpack and repack millions of phones. Why would they do it that way, rather than have Samsung ship the AT&T packaging to begin with?

It's not like AT&T just logs into Samsung's website and orders a few million pre-packaged phones.

Its just something I read on XDA this winter when people were upset about the lack of headphones and some other things that came in the Samsung box and not in the AT&T and then I found out that Verizon does that same thing to the Moto X, so I'm somewhat assuming that its pretty common. And I agree that it is wasteful but they have to open it all anyways to add Sim card, literature, etc anyways so I'm not surprised that they want to brand the packaging at the same time.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime.

ladyc0524

Trusted Member
Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
My friend bought a Note 3 on ATT on a 2 year contract. It came in the Samsung box. I purchased one from ATT as well, but on the Next plan. It came in the orange box.

I also purchased my Note 3 on AT&T Next and it came in the orange box😔

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I agree that it is wasteful but they have to open it all anyways to add Sim card, literature, etc anyways so I'm not surprised that they want to brand the packaging at the same time.

No, they don't have to open the package to add SIM cards, literature, etc. They can just contract with Samsung to have it packaged that way in the first place. The repackaging alternative would be insane. Samsung already customizes the hardware to each carrier's specifications; do you really think they'd balk at customizing the box it comes in?

It[']s just something I read on XDA this winter

But you didn't see any actual source for that information mentioned on XDA, because there isn't any source for that information.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site

Cool. I had only heard about the orange boxes previously, but I guess AT&T has used both kinds.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
No, they don't have to open the package to add SIM cards, literature, etc. They can just contract with Samsung to have it packaged that way in the first place. The repackaging alternative would be insane. Samsung already customizes the hardware to each carrier's specifications; do you really think they'd balk at customizing the box it comes in?

But you didn't see any actual source for that information mentioned on XDA, because there isn't any source for that information.

My mistake then, there seems to be a wide consensus within XDA that it works that way with multiple carriers and devices.

XTNiT-1060 through spacetime.

trparky

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Mine came in the orange AT&T box too. I thought it was strange too but I figured that there was no way that AT&T would have sold me a counterfeit device. It had the AT&T "It Can Wait" sticker screen thingy on it as well so I also figured that the device was a new device too.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE:
4.4.2 fixed every single issue I had. The phone no longer lags, the camera is taking clear pictures (like my first one did) ...
I don't know if samsung has fixes mixed in with the kit kat, but now I am not sure I am going to get rid of it.
I was pissed at samsung since this phone wasn't acting right and bought an LG G2.
guess I will use both for a few days and see which one wins...

droidguy15

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I initially bought the Note 3 from AT&T in early January. I called into their call center to order it and it was sent to me in the Samsung packaging (brown / tan Samsung box). I got cold feet and returned it two days later. Fast forward two weeks... Then I started to miss it, and as it happens, AT&T was running a sale of 50% off. I repurchased it the same way (by calling into AT&T) and got it for $149 - brand new. The only difference was that it came in the AT&T branded box instead of the Samsung box. I thought it was weird, but the phone was brand new and works flawlessly. So, I guess the box costs $150? Not sure why they did that considering my S4 and S3 all came in the Samsung boxes.

At this point, it doesn't bother me because I saved $150. It's a great phone and I have had no problems with it. Love my Note 3!

Expydude

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Mine also came in Orange and white box. Didn't think much of it cuz I got it on release before refurbished were out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Xingularity

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Probably the first batch shipped to att were in the Samsung boxes to meet availability and the following shipments were in att boxes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards