Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - Does anyone else think the camera sucks?

z06mike

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Here it is. Sorry for the wait--the article kept growing in scope, plus I've just started teaching a new workshop, so it took much longer.
Anyway, here's the link:
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Android apps (review, camera test, photography tips, app recommendations, accessories) « Ethereality News & Weblog

I'm sure there's something in the article for everybody. Those who want to learn more about the Note 3's camera will find something, and those who want tips on taking better photos will find something too. Even if you don't care about photography or are already an advanced photographer, all the app recommendations for various categories will at least have something that you'll find very useful. I've even got app recommendations for musicians/composers, artists, and writers!

I think you should make a whole new thread just for your article. I'm sure more people will be able to appreciate if you do!

Haven't started reading it yet, but WOW! You are not kidding about being long and in depth!!!
Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

LunatiqueRob

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I think you should make a whole new thread just for your article. I'm sure more people will be able to appreciate if you do!

Haven't started reading it yet, but WOW! You are not kidding about being long and in depth!!!
Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I'll do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

back2Dfuture

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
That's a nice review.It must have took a lot of time and effort.I agree the N3 camera doesn't suck but it's just disappointing that unlike the rest of the phone,the camera hardware specs are behind most other high end smartphones and it could and should have been better.No OIS and a tiny 1/3.06 sensor is hardly cutting edge stuff by today's standards.However most users who do not know much about photography would be happy even ecstatic with the photo quality of the N3 so I can understand Samsung not investing more in the camera.They would sell more N3 based on other aspects such as processor,ram and display which is class leading.

Another downside of having a small sensor is poor AF in low light.This is not frequently discussed but a lot of people have complained about it.I too sometimes have great difficulty getting the camera to focus in low light.Sometimes it takes 5 goes,sometimes it cannot focus at all.Even in moderate light,the AF is very slow.

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
That's a nice review.It must have took a lot of time and effort.I agree the N3 camera doesn't suck but it's just disappointing that unlike the rest of the phone,the camera hardware specs are behind most other high end smartphones and it could and should have been better.No OIS and a tiny 1/3.06 sensor is hardly cutting edge stuff by today's standards.However most users who do not know much about photography would be happy even ecstatic with the photo quality of the N3 so I can understand Samsung not investing more in the camera.They would sell more N3 based on other aspects such as processor,ram and display which is class leading.

Another downside of having a small sensor is poor AF in low light.This is not frequently discussed but a lot of people have complained about it.I too sometimes have great difficulty getting the camera to focus in low light.Sometimes it takes 5 goes,sometimes it cannot focus at all.Even in moderate light,the AF is very slow.

So how many android phone cameras offer a drastically more advanced camera then the Note 3?

Posted via Android Central App

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Here it is. Sorry for the wait--the article kept growing in scope, plus I've just started teaching a new workshop, so it took much longer.
Anyway, here's the link:
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 & Android apps (review, camera test, photography tips, app recommendations, accessories) « Ethereality News & Weblog

I'm sure there's something in the article for everybody. Those who want to learn more about the Note 3's camera will find something, and those who want tips on taking better photos will find something too. Even if you don't care about photography or are already an advanced photographer, all the app recommendations for various categories will at least have something that you'll find very useful. I've even got app recommendations for musicians/composers, artists, and writers!

One word "AWESOME! ".... THANK YOU!!

LunatiqueRob

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

It's all kind of relative. I've looked at a lot of shootout review/comparisons online of all the well-known smartphone cameras, and it's not like there's a drastic difference between them (with the exception of highly specialized models like the high-end Nokia's). To me, the relatively minor differences between the smartphone cameras are all still within the same range of performance/quality, since I'm used to the quality of professional DSLR or high-end compact cameras. To really get a significant jump in performance/quality, smartphone cameras would need to go up a whole grade in terms of camera hardware and adopt high-end compact camera level of technology.

Remember, it's only recently that smartphones started to place more emphasis on cameras, and as businesses, they need to pace themselves in order to have a sensible product cycle and long-term business strategy. As a consumer, I'd love to have cutting-edge science-fiction technology in my grubby little paws right now, but I can totally understand where they're coming from, and I think if most of us were put in the position to make multi-million dollar decisions that are highly complex and have considerable consequences, we'd probably make very similar decisions. We often think we'd make smarter decisions when looking at things from the sideline, but it's only because we don't know all the complex issues that decision makers in these companies have to deal with.

I try to remind myself that these are supposed to be phones originally. Then they became small computers with crappy cameras. Now they are small computers that also makes phone calls and have decent cameras. We're definitely moving forward, and in the grand scheme of things, our technological advances are already at the speed of science-fiction in some ways.

The 2014 CES showed lots of new products for 4K resolution like TV's and camcorders, and they are all very expensive. The cheapest 4K camcorder was something like $2,000. The fact that the Noe 3 shoots 4K at its price point, is pretty damn remarkable. Like I have said before, Samsung is placing emphasis in areas that they deem more important, and apparently, they had the foresight to see the 4K evolution becoming relevant very soon, and decided to become a market leader in that area. I don't know if I'd have made the same decision if I was their CEO, but I'm not going to assume I know better, because they are the experts, not me, and they have their reasons, even if I'm not aware of the various factors they had to consider.

back2Dfuture

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site
It's all kind of relative. I've looked at a lot of shootout review/comparisons online of all the well-known smartphone cameras, and it's not like there's a drastic difference between them (with the exception of highly specialized models like the high-end Nokia's). To me, the relatively minor differences between the smartphone cameras are all still within the same range of performance/quality, since I'm used to the quality of professional DSLR or high-end compact cameras. To really get a significant jump in performance/quality, smartphone cameras would need to go up a whole grade in terms of camera hardware and adopt high-end compact camera level of technology.

Remember, it's only recently that smartphones started to place more emphasis on cameras, and as businesses, they need to pace themselves in order to have a sensible product cycle and long-term business strategy. As a consumer, I'd love to have cutting-edge science-fiction technology in my grubby little paws right now, but I can totally understand where they're coming from, and I think if most of us were put in the position to make multi-million dollar decisions that are highly complex and have considerable consequences, we'd probably make very similar decisions. We often think we'd make smarter decisions when looking at things from the sideline, but it's only because we don't know all the complex issues that decision makers in these companies have to deal with.

I try to remind myself that these are supposed to be phones originally. Then they became small computers with crappy cameras. Now they are small computers that also makes phone calls and have decent cameras. We're definitely moving forward, and in the grand scheme of things, our technological advances are already at the speed of science-fiction in some ways.

The 2014 CES showed lots of new products for 4K resolution like TV's and camcorders, and they are all very expensive. The cheapest 4K camcorder was something like $2,000. The fact that the Noe 3 shoots 4K at its price point, is pretty damn remarkable. Like I have said before, Samsung is placing emphasis in areas that they deem more important, and apparently, they had the foresight to see the 4K evolution becoming relevant very soon, and decided to become a market leader in that area. I don't know if I'd have made the same decision if I was their CEO, but I'm not going to assume I know better, because they are the experts, not me, and they have their reasons, even if I'm not aware of the various factors they had to consider.

I agree with most of that.Even the worst smartphone camera today is better than the best from 3 or 4 years ago.Like I said most people would be extremely pleased with the photos taken with the N3 even with the stock camera app.My wife has one also and she loves the camera compared to her old Galaxy S2.I'm just disappointed the N3 is not class leading in the camera stakes like the Lumia 1020 or even the 928.I would have gotten one of those if they were not Windows phones.I have high hopes for the next generation Notes with Isocell technology.I just hope Samsung doesn't dilute the low light ability of that technology by going to ridiculously high megapixels.Ten megapixels is more than enough for a smartphone camera.The Lumia 1020 has 41MP but it uses a proprietry oversampling method where it groups a bunch of pixels to act as one and I believe the photos taken with the 1020 is actually 8MP.

The 4K video is indeed superb.I believe the gopro is capable of 4K also but only at 15fps whereas the N3 does it at 30fps.I sometimes use the 4K video as a 30fps 8MP camera.One of those 30 frames will be a good sharp photo.That being said,the 4K video is more the capability of the snapdragon processor rather than the camera sensor.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
"The 4K video is indeed superb.I believe the gopro is capable of 4K also but only at 15fps whereas the N3 does it at 30fps.I sometimes use the 4K video as a 30fps 8MP camera.One of those 30 frames will be a good sharp photo".

I'm going to have to try that.

Also, I wonder if the Nokia sensor is a variation of the Sigma Foveon sensor technology where the sensors are stacked. When that first came out, the photos were more film-like than anything on the market. That would seem to me to be the way to go if you want to up the pixel count without increasing the size of the sensor.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Somebody want to post just the part about what app to use in low light and what settings to use?

Beamed from my Galaxy Note 3

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Awww, give dude the hits. Just scroll down to the end. Plus, there's some great advice about other apps. You might find something you like.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Anyway, here's the link:

Excellent review!!! Great job!!!

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm of the opinion that the camera is horrible. Same as my wife's S4. We know low light is bad but the issue i'm having is the majority of my photos are blurry. If i'm not still as a statue the photos just will not come out. In that regard it's the worst camera on any phone i've ever owned. They really should be a simple point and shoot. If i'm going to tweak settings all day i'd just use my DSLR.

So if there is some sort of a settings i'm missing that would help I sure would like to know.

Last edited:

Gavin S.

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm of the opinion that the camera is horrible. Same as my wife's S4. We know low light is bad but the issue i'm having is the majority of my photos are blurry. If i'm not still as a statue the photos just will not come out. In that regard it's the worst camera on any phone i've ever owned. They really should be a simple point and shoot. If i'm going to tweak settings all day i'd just use my DSLR.

So if there is some sort of a settings i'm missing that would help I sure would like to know.

LunatiqueRob's article says that much of the camera's shortcomings come from the camera app, itself. He goes on to suggest several alternative 3rd party apps that do a better job. The paid version of Camera FV-5 being the top pick, I believe.

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
LunatiqueRob's article says that much of the camera's shortcomings come from the camera app, itself. He goes on to suggest several alternative 3rd party apps that do a better job. The paid version of Camera FV-5 being the top pick, I believe.

I have been using the camera FX app and just now bought the Camera FV-5 app. I'm still getting blurry or soft images. Even being as still as I can.

Gavin S.

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have been using the camera FX app and just now bought the Camera FV-5 app. I'm still getting blurry or soft images. Even being as still as I can.
That's a drag. I've only had my N3 for a few days and really haven't used the camera that much. I hope it's not as bad as many are saying.

Bobbman

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site

Wow... Now the S4 camera sucks also? In the Android world can you please tell me what phone camera is so far superior to the Note 3 and now apparently the S4? This thread has gone looney tunes.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site

I suspect that you aren't still during the lag period. Every cellphone camera has it, you just have to figure out where the actual taking of the picture happens in the period between your hitting the shutter and the completion of the shot. In the case of the . NOTE 3, I find that it's a little later in the process. When you hit the shutter, just take a beat to get steady and then *really* stay steady through the click. I don't know how else to describe it. There's just a slight delay. It's a touch longer than a normal camera. Once you figure out the timing, you'll be golden.

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
ne6eju3u.jpg

I just took this low light shot. Obviously, white balance is an issue. That can be fixed in post if necessary. The only light was a 100 light bulb a foot from my left shoulder under a brown shade (hence the tint). But, you can see that it's not too blurry. A little, but only because I didn't let the camera focus on the guitar. The picture and far wall ended up being the focal point. But this was a true low light shot.

Last edited:

anon24860

May 19, 2010
Visit site
2e8esa8y.jpg
This next shot is with the shade off and the light about a foot forward and left of my left knee (unfrosted 100 watt bulb). Also, I turned on the ceiling light, which is behind a frosted glass fixture and is a 75 watt frosted bulb. As you can see, it's much better in terms of white balance and it's still in focus. Shadows of course are the big issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lawrick