Samsung Galaxy S3 Stuck on bootscreen

tookutz

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm in deep****. It started when i tried changing the fonts on my galaxy s3, simple install and reboot. Now when it rebooted it got stuck on the Metro PCS logo screen, I turned it off and turned it on again, and same problem. Then I tried flashing my g3 with odin it said pass, but now my model number has disappeared from the samsung boot screen and it still has the same problem prior; before it said Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999N, but now it just shows Samsung Galaxy S3. Prior to all this my phone was already rooted. I'm a noob and I need help. All the details I remember about my phone is that the carrier is Metro PCS, the model is SGH-T999N (a t-mobile variant) and the OS was Jellybean 4.1.2.

Thankyou for reading, please reply soon its urgent.

*Extra notes, I tried booting it up into recovery mode it shows splash screen for a brief moment and then completely turns off. It is still able to go in to download mode, also when the phone is completely off and charged in, the battery charging animation is still normal/unchanged before all this happened.

*Additional notes, when in download mode the information at the top left corner reads as:
ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-T999N
CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: Yes (3 counts)
CUSTOM BINARY: Custom
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

It failed to flash, I tried 3 times, here is the log of the 3rd/last attempt with that .tar file.

<ID:0/009> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> T999UVDLJA_T999TMBDLJA_T999UVDLJA_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/009> Odin v.3 engine (ID:9)..
<ID:0/009> File analysis..
<ID:0/009> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/009> Initialzation..
<ID:0/009> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/009> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/009> aboot.mbn
<ID:0/009> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/009>
<ID:0/009> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

What else can I try? I doubt I'll be able to replace it with the warranty by now.

Isn't that only on verizon's variants? I don't remember anything having to do with the bootloader, but I did successfully root my phone, so maybe I did, I'm not completely sure.

*Edit, Could you also give me a detailed guide as to how I could reset it with Kies? I'm not sure if it will work or not, because in my first postt, if it wasn't clear, I think I used the wrong .tar which made the model number under the samsung boot screen, disappear.

I'm still stuck on the KIES method, I removed my sd card and found that my titaniumbackup update.zip, also I found the folder where my KIES backup files are that I made on kies a few days ago. Please continue helping me.

*Edit, okay I found my IMEI through the google dashboard, it was also the same number on the sticker under the battery. FML. Okay so when doing the Kies method it asks me for the model name, I enter SGH-T999N, now it prompts to ask me for the s/n, I copy and paste in the IMEI, but it says that it is incorrect. PLEASE HELP

Last edited:

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm in deep****. It started when i tried changing the fonts on my galaxy s3, simple install and reboot. Now when it rebooted it got stuck on the boot screen, I turned it off and turned it on again, and same problem. Then I tried flashing my g3 with odin it said pass, but now my model number has disappeared from the samsung boot screen and it still has the same problem prior; before it said Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999N, but now it just shows Samsung Galaxy S3. Prior to all this my phone was already rooted. I'm a noob and I need help. All the details I remember about my phone is that the carrier is Metro PCS, the model is SGH-T999N (a t-mobile variant) and the OS was Jellybean 4.1.2.

Thankyou for reading, please reply soon its urgent.

*Extra note, I tried booting it up into recovery mode it shows splash screen for a brief moment and then completely turns off.

Make sure you have the Correct .tar file for you Metro PCS variant. and I would also make sure you are using ODIN 3.06. ( I had the best luck with this one)

tookutz

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to need a little more help than that. There is no specific .tar for my model SGH-T999N, but i read that if I used the T-Mobile's SGH-T999 it would still work. Can you please direct me to a link to where I can obtain a proper .tar file?

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to need a little more help than that. There is no specific .tar for my model SGH-T999N, but i read that if I used the T-Mobile's SGH-T999 it would still work. Can you please direct me to a link to where I can obtain a proper .tar file?

Well it sounds like you are doing the correct steps. Just maybe not the right files
try this Update T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 T999 with Official Stock Android 4.1.1 UVDLJA Firmware
Scroll down. gives links, and instructions

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Will I be able to go back to jellybean 4.1.2?

Yes, You can try a 4.1.2 file later, But sounds like you need to recovery your boot.img,
So use a stock tar file to get it back.
The problem though is that if Metro PCS had a custom boot.img... you would need to actually find a Metro PCS tar stock file.

tookutz

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes, You can try a 4.1.2 file later, But sounds like you need to recovery your boot.img,
The problem though is that if Metro PCS had a custom boot.img... you would need to actually find a Metro PCS tar stock file.

I'm downloading the .tar that you linked me to, I really do hope this works.

tookutz

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

It failed to flash, I tried 3 times, here is the log of the 3rd/last attempt with that .tar file.

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..

What else can I try? I doubt I'll be able to replace it with the warranty by now.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site

<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> Leave CS..

what version of ODIN are you using?

tookutz

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm not giving up yet, but in case everything fails, will the store I bought the phone from be able to tell that I rooted/tampered with the software? Since it freezes at the MetroPCS logo would it be believable for them, to replace my phone? I purchased the phone last weekend, and I still have the receipt.

*Edit, here is the Warranty FAQ:
What are the rules for accessories warranty exchanges?
The warranty is effective for one year starting on the date of original purchase.
The warranty covers all mechanical and electrical problems, except those arising from abuse or tampering.
The defective accessory must be returned to the original MetroPCS store of purchase with accompanying receipt.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm.
I had a hard time the first time I did this as well
Do you have Kies downloaded on your computer?

Yes I do, I made a backup of my contacts, apps etc couple days ago just in case.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
You could try using the Kies software on your PC - that would take you back to the stock (unrooted) firmware for your phone. It'll prompt you to enter the model number (in CAPS) and IMEI, both found under the battery.

You already unlocked the bootloader the first time you rooted the phone, yes?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm not giving up yet, but in case everything fails, will the store I bought the phone from be able to tell that I rooted/tampered with the software? Since it freezes at the MetroPCS logo would it be believable for them, to replace my phone? I purchased the phone last weekend, and I still have the receipt.

*Edit, here is the Warranty FAQ:
What are the rules for accessories warranty exchanges?
The warranty is effective for one year starting on the date of original purchase.
The warranty covers all mechanical and electrical problems, except those arising from abuse or tampering.
The defective accessory must be returned to the original MetroPCS store of purchase with accompanying receipt.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I do, I made a backup of my contacts, apps etc couple days ago just in case.

You could certainly try. Give yourself an allibi that you left it at your friends house and when you picked it up it was fine. But later that day, you restarted it and now its stuck. Something like that.

But I know this is fixable. Is just a soft brick. You just need to find the formula. Different tar files, different Odin versions. And try updating your drivers in the device manager on your computer.

Posted via Android Central App

tookutz

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
You could try using the Kies software on your PC - that would take you back to the stock (unrooted) firmware for your phone. It'll prompt you to enter the model number (in CAPS) and IMEI, both found under the battery.

You already unlocked the bootloader the first time you rooted the phone, yes?

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4

Isn't that only on verizon's variants? I don't remember anything having to do with the bootloader, but I did successfully root my phone, so maybe I did, I'm not completely sure.

*Edit, Could you also give me a detailed guide as to how I could reset it with Kies? I'm not sure if it will work or not, because in my first postt, if it wasn't clear, I think I used the wrong .tar which made the model number under the samsung boot screen, disappear.

tookutz

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm still stuck on the KIES method, I removed my sd card and found that my titaniumbackup update.zip, also I found the folder where my KIES backup files are that I made on kies a few days ago. Please continue helping me.

*Edit, okay I found my IMEI through the google dashboard, it was also the same number on the sticker under the battery. FML. Okay so when doing the Kies method it asks me for the model name, I enter SGH-T999N, now it prompts to ask me for the s/n, I copy and paste in the IMEI, but it says that it is incorrect. PLEASE HELP

Last edited:

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site

I have never used this method. So I cannot help here. Just Google it and search xda-developers.com

Posted via Android Central App

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I copy and paste in the IMEI, but it says that it is incorrect.
I don't know about this Google dashboard that you're referring to - I just always manually enter the IMEI as it's shown under the battery (once the phone is plugged in you can remove the battery with no issue) - perhaps you should manually enter what you see. Be careful of the stupid 0 vs O, and 1 vs I, etc.

I've done this numerous times and it's always worked.