Samsung Galaxy S4 Battery Life

thecure13

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Honestly idk whats going on. I unolug s4 from charger and 10 minutes later im already at 93%... I dont have any features on. I really dont know what's killing it soooo fast. Losing that much % so quick cant be good. Im looking now at battery info in settings and screen has been used no more than an hour and a hald and that took away 47%. My brightness isnt even 1/4 up. Atm, im at 32% and so far 11 hours running. Ill probably get 2 hours max with that.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Honestly idk whats going on. I unolug s4 from charger and 10 minutes later im already at 93%... I dont have any features on. I really dont know what's killing it soooo fast. Losing that much % so quick cant be good. Im looking now at battery info in settings and screen has been used no more than an hour and a hald and that took away 47%. My brightness isnt even 1/4 up. Atm, im at 32% and so far 11 hours running. Ill probably get 2 hours max with that.

The dramatic drop in % from 100% to 90%~ has to do with the way smartphone batteries charge. They essentially have to fool themselves into thinking it's 100% charged when it could physically only be 96% charged in an effort to let the battery last longer. You don't want the battery to keep charging and discharging the battery charge lost when the charger goes to sleep for a period of time.

Apart from that, not sure what could be causing your battery to drain so quickly. I'd recommend following tips for battery saving, you can google some good ones online.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
For me, battery life is fantastic. Easily lasts a day, but I'm a teacher so it's not being used from 7-4.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via the AC Forums app

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
My GS4 sometimes goes all day without a charge.
But unfortunately when I'm working in areas with very little signal and I have to make and receive calls many times a day, the battery doesn't last much more then 6-7 hours.

That's a great accomplishment in my book since little to no signal will drain any phone battery very quickly.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app

thecure13

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
The dramatic drop in % from 100% to 90%~ has to do with the way smartphone batteries charge. They essentially have to fool themselves into thinking it's 100% charged when it could physically only be 96% charged in an effort to let the battery last longer. You don't want the battery to keep charging and discharging the battery charge lost when the charger goes to sleep for a period of time.

Apart from that, not sure what could be causing your battery to drain so quickly. I'd recommend following tips for battery saving, you can google some good ones online.

I just noticed. 5 minutes on instagram and bam... 5% drop! But whyyy. When I had Iphone it never did that :/. And so far ive installed Snapdragon. Its in learning mode with 2 days left. Hopefully that helps me.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I just noticed. 5 minutes on instagram and bam... 5% drop! But whyyy. When I had Iphone it never did that :/. And so far ive installed Snapdragon. Its in learning mode with 2 days left. Hopefully that helps me.

I've used Snapdragon before and to tell you the truth, I haven't seen any real difference on helping my battery to last longer. But that's just me, who knows.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok, hilarious. I rebooted the device. I have found after a battery change that helps. Indeed it did. I got back to a relatively normal drain, if still a little on the high side, of 15% overnight. Airplane mode ON, GPS OFF. That seemed to be the best combo.

So, I figured now I'd experiment. I turned SYNC off, figuring that the problem might be apps trying to sync with no connectivity. I put POWER SAVER on, too. As well as Airplane mode ON and GPS OFF.

Dropped near 50% overnight, about 7.5 hours. Google Services and Device idle seem to be the only significant contributors but even that doens't look like it does it.

svitore

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I had to uninstall the snapdragon app. I was getting half the battery life I was getting before installing the app. From what I hear this is typical of "battery - saving" apps because they use up power to run and monitor your phone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mobile Nations mobile app

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

It's hard to compare the tiny iPhone screen to the S4... The S4 screen is going to suck up more power. Either way though that Snapdragon may be causing you more harm than good. Battery saving apps cause more harm than good for most people in my opinion.

Your fall from 100-90% is normal. Most of my phones drop fast from 100%. It is normal.

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Ok, hilarious. I rebooted the device. I have found after a battery change that helps. Indeed it did. I got back to a relatively normal drain, if still a little on the high side, of 15% overnight. Airplane mode ON, GPS OFF. That seemed to be the best combo.

So, I figured now I'd experiment. I turned SYNC off, figuring that the problem might be apps trying to sync with no connectivity. I put POWER SAVER on, too. As well as Airplane mode ON and GPS OFF.

Dropped near 50% overnight, about 7.5 hours. Google Services and Device idle seem to be the only significant contributors but even that doens't look like it does it.

I think you're still getting too much drainage overnight.

Have you disable any carrier bloatware from the device?

In my case I've disabled almost all the Sprint bloatware, except Sprint TV, because it's such a helpful app! Live football games (real football, many people call it soccer here :confused::eek::mad::banghead: for some reason), live Disney Channel or several episodes of cartoons that my kids enjoy when we're out and about.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

thecure13

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
It's hard to compare the tiny iPhone screen to the S4... The S4 screen is going to suck up more power. Either way though that Snapdragon may be causing you more harm than good. Battery saving apps cause more harm than good for most people in my opinion.

Your fall from 100-90% is normal. Most of my phones drop fast from 100%. It is normal.

Yeah my bad. How can I compare such a powerful phone to iphone lol. I'm just a bit mad with brightens practically all the way down, with less than 2 hour use, it says it takes away around 50%. Guess I cant really complain with such an awesome screen.

Im not even going to wait on Snapdragon. I'll take yall advice. Un installing now.

svitore

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Leo Laporte recommended an app called gsam battery monitor.
This app seems to be an exception to the rule that battery monitors actually drain your battery too much to be worth while.
I've been using gsam for a couple months now it's helped my ID several apps that were killing my phone even while it's idle. Gsam is what told me snapdragon guru was responsible for 50% of my battery's drain while idle.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah my bad. How can I compare such a powerful phone to iphone lol. I'm just a bit mad with brightens practically all the way down, with less than 2 hour use, it says it takes away around 50%. Guess I cant really complain with such an awesome screen.

Im not even going to wait on Snapdragon. I'll take yall advice. Un installing now.

Yeah I wish batteries would catch up.. One day they will. On my HTC One I can get good battery some days.. But other days (like today at work) the combo of screen + the data connection streaming I can rock the battery pretty hard.

Joe_Perone

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Here's a screenshot from last night, I got this with pretty heavy use. I also had Bluetooth on for my car this cycle. The phone lasted me 3 days and a bit. Rogers Canada S4 with stock battery. Mostly on wifi but with segments of data when I'm out (probably combined 30-45 minutes). Unrooted, smart features off, power saving mode enabled, 33-40% brightness always. Usage consisted of browsing, Twitter, Youtube, emails, Games like Subway Surfers and Tetris, 1 hour 17 min of phone calls, and heavy texting. No battery saving apps.

I'm actually loving my battery after it settled in. It only took about 3 months, hahaha :p

OSwXlML.png

thecure13

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Here's a screenshot from last night, I got this with pretty heavy use. I also had Bluetooth on for my car this cycle. The phone lasted me 3 days and a bit. Rogers Canada S4 with stock battery. Mostly on wifi but with segments of data when I'm out (probably combined 30-45 minutes). Unrooted, smart features off, power saving mode enabled, 33-40% brightness always. Usage consisted of browsing, Twitter, Youtube, emails, Games like Subway Surfers and Tetris, 1 hour 17 min of phone calls, and heavy texting. No battery saving apps.

I'm actually loving my battery after it settled in. It only took about 3 months, hahaha :p

http://i.imgur.com/OSwXlML.png

How is this possible!? I have less than 2 hourd of screen time and it says more than 45% consumed battery!!!

Joe_Perone

May 21, 2013
Visit site
How is this possible!? I have less than 2 hourd of screen time and it says more than 45% consumed battery!!!

I **** you not, this is the kind of battery I'm getting. I don't know how and I don't do anything special to get that kind of life. If I had any secrets, I swear I'd tell you all

Posted via Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

This is where people get confused... Just because your percent is higher for screen doesn't mean something is wrong.. It just means out of everything taking battery on your phone your screen was more of a drain than his. He could of played netflix and that ate up some more battery so his screen is a little less.. Whereas you read some news articles online with less data connection so your browser used less.. So the screen was more drain.

amacnutt

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site

http://i.imgur.com/OSwXlML.png

I too am wondering how you did this. My usage is similar to yours and I struggle to get 2 hours of screen time. I can watch the battery drain before my eyes whenever the screen is on. It drains 1-2% PER MINUTE when my screen is on at about 40-50% brightness. I'm using GSam battery Monitor so I know that my only problem with the battery is the screen. No problems with high drain due to anything else. I'm starting to wonder if there is something faulty and I should get a new phone. I've had it only for about 2 weeks. So you say that it took about 3 months to settle in? What was your battery life like when you first got it, with respect to on-screen time?

svitore

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Did you get the phone from a carrier, or other store? You should be able to bring it in for warranty.

amacnutt

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
Did you get the phone from a carrier, or other store? You should be able to bring it in for warranty.

I got it from a Sprint store. So you think it sounds like it isn't working properly then? Would I still get to hang on to my current phone until the replacement comes in?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sm1alsvrkz