Samsung Galaxy S6 - GPS signal lost - constantly

A

AC Question

Hi everyone,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 running Android version 6.0.1 and been travelling with my phone around Europe for the past 4 weeks - using Google maps as my help (gps basically) - and it worked mostly fine until two days ago. I had the odd issue that it logged onto a location that I have been at when I first arrived in the UK but for the past two days it constantly either says - GPS signal lost OR gets stuck in the "searching for gps"instead of giving me directions. I am really frustrated by now - I have cleared the chache - unistalled and reinstalled updates for Google maps already but no avail.

I need help to fix this as I am driving a lot of backroads that are very narrow and hard to find on a regular map - I also tried downloading offline maps but it did not make a difference.

So could it be the the actual GPS chip (or whatever it is in the phone that lets location work) is faulty. mobile data works fine and is turned on of course and so is the location icon.

Are there any other re-sets (bar a total factory re-set) I can try or is the actual phone perhaps faulty?

Thanks!!!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It's usually not the hardware. Open the phone (the app) and dial the following number:

*#9090# -- Diagnostic Configuration (*#197328640# if that doesn't work)
Menu, select Key Input, enter Q
Menu, select Key Input, enter 0000
wait for the next menu. (It takes a while.)
UMTS->COMMON->NV REBUILD->NV REBUILD->SYSTEM->PROTOCOL->GPS->IMS
or, if you don't have UMTS:
UE SETTINGS & INFO->SETTING->SYSTEM->NV REBUILD->ALL

Restart the phone.

That should fix it, at least for a while.

flaxworxNZ

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
Thanks heaps! Tried it - got the first screen and done the two key input but then nothing - how long is a while...? 20 min so far? I did not even know there was such a thing on a phone - so thanks so far!

andoc

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi there,

Sorry to hijack your thread but I'm having the same problem on a samsung galaxy s5. Rukbat - do you have the USSD code's / help for a galaxy s5? Seems to appear my GPS is broken. Have also tried downloading the apps ... GPS status & toolbox, GPS test & another called GPS status and none can find any satellites, just keeps searching!!

Please help, so frustrating

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE