Samsung Galaxy S7 Music Player not displaying proper album art.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I downloaded a fan-made anthology of video game music, with 35 "volumes" that each serve as their own albums. However, each volume features many different songs with different album art. When I connected my Samsung S7 to my PC (Windows 8.1) and copy+pasted all of the music to my phone, the albums do not display the correct cover art in the stock music player. The cover of the album itself appears to display a random cover of one of the songs in the album, and every song displays that same cover instead of what it SHOULD be displaying.

Example: Songs 1, 2, and 3 are all in "Volume 5" but they all have different cover art. I copy all 3 songs to my phone and I open the default Samsung Music Player. The cover of Song 2 displays on the album and for all 3 songs, overwriting the proper covers for songs 1 and 3.

Obviously proper albums contain the same cover art for all songs included, but this seems like such a silly problem to have on any music player. The problem is also present on Spotify as well. The only place where it displays the proper album art is in the Windows Media Player, and even then, the album cover appears random and you can't change it without overwriting the covers of every single song in the volume.

This problem has persisted for years. I don't understand why there can't simply be an option to change the display image for an album without altering any of the tags of the songs themselves. Does anybody have a solution for this?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do each of the songs have their own individual album art embedded in the ID3 tag data? Use an ID3 tag editor to see.

Tommothan

Oct 2, 2019
Visit site
Yes, I believe they do. I used an app called Star Music Tag Editor and all of the songs have proper album art embedded. But when I play them in the Samsung Music Player, they all display the art used in the album's thumbnail instead of their respective proper covers.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Is there a separate thumbnail file associated with each album directory in the phone's storage? If so, what if you delete that thumbnail file?

Tommothan

Oct 2, 2019
Visit site
Already deleted all of the files in that folder, and it didn't work. They were all extension-less, and I'd seen other people on these forums saying that's what did the trick, but they just re-created themselves and nothing changed.

Tommothan

Oct 2, 2019
Visit site
Yep, they are. If all of these players are adamant on being so stubborn about all songs in an album having the same art, I guess the only option is to remove the album tag on them all and make playlists instead.