Samsung GS7edge - Verizon Users Thread

Paul Stoner 2

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
My two cents on a few things:

Nougat and When? - I can only hope that Big Red gets off their bums and gets it out to their users ASAP. But I have stopped asking. I get garbage answers or some jerk posts a link from 3 months ago that has no bearing on the situation. Samsung has Nougat - presumably Verizon has their variant for testing - it has a lot of great new features that people are chomping at the bit to get their hands on - but hey - like any carrier - let's sit on it until we feel like it!

S8? - After the Note 7 fiasco, I will probably wait until the end of 2017 - possibly 2018 - to see IF Samsung brings a S8 Note to the table, and only after AFTER it has been in the field without issues.

Nougat Beta - Verizon cut off customers from participating in the Nougat Beta Program, I think after the second or third release to Beta testers? I do not know of any sites that have the Beta firmware - but the lucky ones that got into the program before Verizon cut ties with the Beta Program love the Beta of Nougat and swear by it - thus fueling the flames of "gimme gimme gimme gimme!".

JimA

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
If I wipe my phone, how difficult would it be to restore everything? Is there an app, Verizon website etc., that would help? I've had it since last March and it seems to be slowing down. I've cleaned out the cache and unused programs. Thanks.

marlin29311

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
If I wipe my phone, how difficult would it be to restore everything? Is there an app, Verizon website etc., that would help? I've had it since last March and it seems to be slowing down. I've cleaned out the cache and unused programs. Thanks.

I just take screenshots of all of my programs, and then download an SMS backup app for my texts and call logs. Otherwise, the majority of my apps all back up into Google or the cloud, so I just have to log in to get all the information back. It's not really that bad IMO.

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
You can get it on XDA. I manually installed it as I was late for the beta. I have it and it's great. I think posting links is against the rules but it's pretty easy to find

Paul Stoner 2

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
My only concern about using a beta firmware is using 3rd-party software to install it. That being said, I understand it is a necessary evil.

But I think the underlying statement about Nougat rolling out to carrier branded phones is that it is taking a ridiculous amount of time, users are left in the dark as to when and why they are being made to wait, they are tired of BS generic answers from carriers AND Samsung, and to top it all off, pretty much the rest of the world has it, but the USA doesn't.

If Nougat is such an improvement over Marshmallow, and Samsung's new UI is so damned awesome...why make users wait? While everyone else is enjoying a better experience, Samsung and the carriers (whomever is to blame) are actually upsetting users that don't have it - not making them want it more - making them want to jump to a Pixel C, Pixel XL, or god forbid an iPhone because their updates aren't up to the carrier...

Last edited:

Fred Lucia

Oct 25, 2013
Visit site
My question is this? Why the anger over a software update? What is there about Nougat that you simply have to have. What can you do with it that you can not do with the current version?

JimA

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
My question is this? Why the anger over a software update? What is there about Nougat that you simply have to have. What can you do with it that you can not do with the current version?

Because we have bought into the notion that if we don't have the latest and greatest, we're missing out! Got to get it NOW! Certainly Nougat will bring some nice upgrades but frankly given Verizon/Samsung update history, I doubt we'll see the update until a month or so after the release of the s8. That way we'll upgrade a perfectly fine phone just to have the latest.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I think it's more so that every other device gets the update much sooner. I personally like having the latest and greatest on my device. Majority of software updates include "enhancements." Don't you want to use an updated phone with the latest and greatest enhancements?

For instance on nougat, you can reply to new messages right from the notification panel. You can delete individual emails from a list of them in the notification panel. It's enhancements like this that I've used on the pixel and find very very handy. Not having this on the s7 edge now makes me feel like I'm using an outdated device now. I've gone back to my pixel. The software experience on that phone is incredible

wrich2005

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I used to be that way too being mad about updates never come especially because I have Verizon. I tried iOS for a while and generally prefer it except I need Android for some work related stuff. I came to realize it's more about the apps you use then about the experience of the operating system. The operating system can make your phone terrible but if your phone is great it's because of the content on the phone not the os

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I think the update to Nougat is actually pretty awesome. The main thing is the inline replys. As long as Samsung continues to give me the option of a beta, they can take as long as they want. I'll be getting the S8 anyway so I'll have it soon enough. I'm on the Verizon s7 edge nougat beta that I installed off of XDA. It's great.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
What made you keep the S7 edge over the Pixel XL?
I have had Nexus 6, 5x, 6p as well. I was a Samsung user before that. Had S3, then Note 3 and Note 4. I ultimately want to get back to Note series. There is nothing out there that beats the Note phones.

Both S7 Edge and Pixel XL are great phones. I don't think you can pick a winner. For me, I have the Coral Blue and my phone have no case on it at home and at work. The 5.5 inch profile and design is amazing. Hands down the best looking phone on the market. Add to that SD card, water resistant, amazing camera, amazing screen, wireless charging and a fluid enough phone (yes I know not as good as Pixel XL) and you got yourself a good complete package.

I'm already looking forward to Note 8 though :)

Last edited: