News Samsung made a Pixel so you don't have to buy one

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I knows what I likes. I really want to like the pixel, but Google make it so hard...

Most of the hate comes from my pixel 6, for the first couple of months that was the buggiest least put together experience I've ever had with a smartphone. And I used a OnePlus 2!
Out of curiosity, did you keep your Pixel 6 long enough to experience Android 13?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Out of curiosity, did you keep your Pixel 6 long enough to experience Android 13?
I've still got it. Android 13 fixed a lot of the issues I was having, but by then I was already done with the phone. And I don't really like the whole pixel experience in general... It's not a very nice UI in my opinion. Although it is entirely possible that that opinion as marred by the experience I initially had with the phone. It's all circular lol.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I've still got it. Android 13 fixed a lot of the issues I was having, but by then I was already done with the phone. And I don't really like the whole pixel experience in general... It's not a very nice UI in my opinion. Although it is entirely possible that that opinion as marred by the experience I initially had with the phone. It's all circular lol.
Yeah, the software felt like an afterthought before Android 13 but I've enjoyed my Pixel 6 since. It's about to go in a drawer when my 8 Pro gets here Tuesday, assuming FedEx doesn't screw up or steal my phone. Not liking the UI is subjective. If ya don't like it, ya don't like it. Fortunately for me I very much like both Google and Samsung's version of Android. Recently got Android 14 on my S21 Ultra. It's pretty great. I think as long as it's not LG's garbage UI, I'm good. I've got a G8 somewhere that's God awful.

Last edited:

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the software felt an afterthought before Android 13 but I've enjoyed my Pixel 6 since. It's about to go in a drawer when my 8 Pro gets here Tuesday, assuming FedEx doesn't screw up or steal my phone. Not liking the UI is subjective. If ya don't like it, you don't like it. Fortunately for me I very much like both Google and Samsung's version of Android. Recently got Android 14 on my S21 Ultra. It's pretty great. I think as long as it's not LG's garbage UI, I'm good. I've got a G8 somewhere that's God awful.
I didn't get as far as the G8 but I did use a G4 and the UI on that was plain nasty. I've only used Samsung phones since One UI because touchwiz was horrific

If I'm honest, and try to push past my bias, there are elements of the pixel UI I do actually like. And that song identification on the lock screen thing is amazing. That is something I genuinely miss.

Hey! You got me to say something nice about the Pixel! Well done!

Reactions: gendo667

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I didn't get as far as the G8 but I did use a G4 and the UI on that was plain nasty. I've only used Samsung phones since One UI because touchwiz was horrific

If I'm honest, and try to push past my bias, there are elements of the pixel UI I do actually like. And that song identification on the lock screen thing is amazing. That is something I genuinely miss.

Hey! You got me to say something nice about the Pixel! Well done!
I ran Google Now Launcher on my G4. Basically turned it into a Nexus device. I loved that phone until it boot looped.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I ran Google Now Launcher on my G4. Basically turned it into a Nexus device. I loved that phone until it boot looped.
Same with my Nexus 5 which was basically a G4. Loved that phone till it bootlooped. Then moved on to a 5X after a 2 week stint with the G4 .
Did think the quick circle with a compatible case was neat though.
0da93da8889718296a3096a1f4427e33.jpg

Last edited:

edubfromktown

Sep 18, 2020
Visit site
I'm actually holding a pixel in my hand right at this moment. Unlike some people, I am actually willing to try things out before making snap judgements about them lol. Just try and be sure You don't lose your volume rocker while you are gazing slackjord at the moon.
I too gave a Pixel 8 Pro a two-week eval to run up against my S23+ 256 GB daily driver purchased back in October.

The majority of things I do not like about S23 can be disabled/removed with an adb script whereas Pixel shortcomings are embedded in the build quality and hardware components.

The few added Samsung apps that I use and additional features over "pure Android" are quite good and essentially come at the expense of somewhat less camera flexibility and image quality in some situations.

Pixel modems, processor heat management and battery life detract from an otherwise decent product offering. I'd also argue that the display requires a higher contrast setting (around 25% more) to attain the same result on S23+.

zloturtle

May 28, 2023
Visit site
God I love this insane hot takes.
Let me guess, never seen a Pixel in person, let alone use one.
I wonder how a bloatfest, closed down phone like anything Samsung makes is better than a Pixel, mind sharing your thoughts (if you're capable of critical thinking of course)? Is that because the Pixel doesn't overlay a picture from Google images when you snap a photo of the moon? Or is that because you don't burn a fuse inside the CPU that disables half the features forever if you try getting away from the bloatware?
The moon pic debacle was disproven as a hoax by many people, including the original poster. Please take a picture of a blurred moon circle to see for yourself and stop spreading fake news

davidwal83

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
I had a Pixel 6 as my daily for a year. It's still my backup phone on another carrier. I was lucky to get the phone when Android 13 update came in. I went all in and got a 256GB model. It was a great phone as a daily. I ended up getting a Samsung S23 plus for my birthday. I was going to get a Pixel 8 but wanted to go back to Samsung and hopefully have better reception than what the Pixel 6 had. Turned out I was getting the same issue that my Pixel 6 had. I noticed on the Galaxy the Assistant is worse. I have to wake up the phone to listen to my commands. When I used the Pixel 6 would do it no matter what. Other than that the Galaxy is the most powerful phone I have ever owned hands down.

xgudwilx

Jan 22, 2024
Visit site
God I love this insane hot takes.
Let me guess, never seen a Pixel in person, let alone use one.
I wonder how a bloatfest, closed down phone like anything Samsung makes is better than a Pixel, mind sharing your thoughts (if you're capable of critical thinking of course)? Is that because the Pixel doesn't overlay a picture from Google images when you snap a photo of the moon? Or is that because you don't burn a fuse inside the CPU that disables half the features forever if you try getting away from the bloatware?
And go read his/her response. Exactly what you predicted. Not one reason why his Samsung (with not quite as good as Pixel ai, running on Google's servers, samsung will hide behind a paywall) makes Pixels useless.

As Pixel/Tensor has become the #1 Android in Japan (the world's third largest economy)
trailing only to Apple and
the only US smartphone manufacturer, the past couple years, to see significant sales growth. All in the worst smartphone market we've had in over a decade.

"Drrrrrrr WhY sHoULd ThEsE pIxEl ThiNgiEs ExIsT?"
😂😂😂
(While those poor second class citizens using galaxy s21's are still waiting on Android 14.)

If you look for the signs, you will see what Google is up to...
"it's increasingly clear that the Google is working to present Pixel phones as something distinct — as their own unique entity and not a part of the Android platform and brand that so many non-Android users have grown to misunderstand."
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3711503/google-pixel-plans.html

You're welcome.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
And go read his/her response. Exactly what you predicted. Not one reason why his Samsung (with not quite as good as Pixel ai, running on Google's servers, samsung will hide behind a paywall) makes Pixels useless.

As Pixel/Tensor has become the #1 Android in Japan (the world's third largest economy)
trailing only to Apple and
the only US smartphone manufacturer, the past couple years, to see significant sales growth. All in the worst smartphone market we've had in over a decade.

"Drrrrrrr WhY sHoULd ThEsE pIxEl ThiNgiEs ExIsT?"

(While those poor second class citizens using galaxy s21's are still waiting on Android 14.)

If you look for the signs, you will see what Google is up to...
"it's increasingly clear that the Google is working to present Pixel phones as something distinct — as their own unique entity and not a part of the Android platform and brand that so many non-Android users have grown to misunderstand."
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3711503/google-pixel-plans.html

You're welcome.
Why would I fulfil the request of someone who isn't going to come back and read it anyway? The S21 series has Android 14.

You went to the extent of creating an account just to post that bile, but sure I'm the crazy one.

Last edited:

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Samsung just makes better hardware, or at least adds better hardware to their phones than Google. A lot of Pixel software and apps can be replicated on Samsungs. The Soc and screen are the two biggest reasons why I bought the S23 ultra and traded in my Pixel 7 pro.

I do think it makes more sense to stick with either Samsung or Google or Apple accessories to match the phone you have. Obviously especially watches as Apple watches don't work with android.

I have the Watch 6 classic and Buds 2 Pro and they pair immediately to my S23 ultra.

If I were to go back to a Pixel, I'd be inclined to switch to at least a Pixel watch. I switched to iOS a couple of times but never had a Smartwatch when I did so it was easier to come back to Android.

I'd eventually like to try an iPhone again but the hassle of switching out my accessories is what heavily prevents me from considering it, even remotely.

Apple also almost never has trade in deals like Samsung does unless you lock yourself into a carrier for 36 months. Which is something I hate.

Reactions: buds20

Koshersalt

Jan 22, 2024
Visit site
oh yay. the company with the worst AI assistant on the market added AI features to their phone, this'll definitely not be a half baked disaster.

and they decided to add the ugliest purple in existence to their already ugly design language AND the ugliest iteration of the S series line. they really said what if we made an iPhone but gave it bezels the size of wich haven't been seen since 2016. the purple looks like if you left Barneys dead carcass out in the sun for two weeks.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I read that post as though a teenager wrote it.

Edit: not yours. The post you quoted.
Although I'm not keen myself and aren't shy about blathering, I don't have a problem with people who enjoy the Pixel, if you want the best camera on a phone it's the only choice. And as I said earlier, there's features I wish my S23U had.

But there's a subset of Pixel fans (if these people are even real) that are just so rabid they make the iPhone fanboys of yesteryear look apathetic. I find that level of investment so odd... I prefer Samsung phones, but I talk crap about the company all the time because they overcharge and have stopped innovating.

ANd it's always these accounts that have no other posts... .

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
oh yay. the company with the worst AI assistant on the market added AI features to their phone, this'll definitely not be a half baked disaster.

and they decided to add the ugliest purple in existence to their already ugly design language AND the ugliest iteration of the S series line. they really said what if we made an iPhone but gave it bezels the size of wich haven't been seen since 2016. the purple looks like if you left Barneys dead carcass out in the sun for two weeks.
Second worst, Siri still exists.

xgudwilx

Jan 22, 2024
Visit site
Why would I fulfil the request of someone who isn't going to come back and read it anyway? The S21 series has Android 14.

You went to the extent of creating an account just to post that bile, but sure I'm the crazy one.

Just in time! I mean, it's only around 4 months late.
(Oh i forgot... the slo mo's still think phones only come carrier locked.)

DrRrRrRr, I jUsT dOnT kNoW WhY ThEsE pIxEl ThiNgiEs ExIsT? 🤤

samsung AI features powered by Google are already on Pixel but vids surfacing showing Google's phone runs Google's tech much better
(not to mention to be
paywalled on samsung)

some ai may never get used bcs the features aren't that useful and/or are hidden layers deep within the settings submenus and hidden buttons

OS update timeliness still mediocre

software, especially settings, is a confusing mess + bloat & ads

bixby still horrible, gets no Ai, still can't compete with Google Assistant and how it and other
Google apps/ai/services are integrated into Pixel...Google's take on Android.
https://www.techradar.com/phones/samsung-galaxy-phones/samsung-galaxy-s24-ultra-review

(and so far that's 2 tries and youre still avoiding an explanation) 😘