Question Samsung S21+ still stuck on EDGE (E) data after switching providers and a full factory reset

JacobB

Oct 25, 2023
Visit site
I was in Europe for 2 months this past summer, and since returning to NYC in September, my Samsung mobile data has been stuck in E (2G). I have full bars, I am in the city so coverage is not an issue, I have tried all troubleshooting steps given to me by my service provider, I even switched service providers (from Google Fi to T-mobile), and I factory reset my phone. And IT IS STILL STUCK ON E. One weekend I went out of the city and I got 4g for a few minutes but do not know how that factors in. Pls help.

JacobB

Oct 25, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you using a physical SIM or an eSIM?
Did you already try resetting the network settings? https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/how-to-reset-network-settings-on-the-galaxy-s21/
Hello, thank you for your response! I am using an esim. I reset the network settings multiple times. The fact that the problem persists after a full factory reset (all settings reset and data deleted) tells me it's not a settings issue. It's not a service provider issue as they have done all the troubleshooting they can on their end and I switched providers with the hope this issue would be fixed to no avail.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I've never used an eSIM, so I'm not sure if that might make it more of a risk for these kinds of situations. Can you ask your carrier for a physical SIM and see if that works better?

Reactions: Laura Knotek

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
At any point did you or a carrier flash any software to the device? I know in different regions certain services and features require firmware for that region be installed on the device. If I'm not mistaken this would become the factory default so factory resetting wouldn't undo this type of change. Given the device is technologically able to receive 4G it has to software holding it back. Perhaps trying a physical SIM might make a difference but from everything I've read about how eSIM and SIM work there's negligible difference. It's with a try just in case there's something glitchy with the eSIM now but it sounds like a firmware issue to me.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
One other thing that occurred to me is you mentioned you had been there for multiple months which means you likely received updates in that time so maybe you didn't intentionally flash any firmware but something in the updates changed something in the device. I'm not sure how you would undo an update like that, have you received any updates since you've returned? Perhaps it will fix it's itself with your next update.