Samsungs Web Site is saying the US Fascinate runs 2.2

JJRocker

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I think people are getting worked up over something trivial. The same thing happened with the 2.2 update for the Droid 1 (my last phone). I kept checking for updates every day for weeks and was so excited to finally get it only to realize it didn't really change a whole lot. The only things really up front and noticeable imo were the Flash update and the ability to voice dial with a bluetooth headset.

When I decided to upgrade from my D1, I strongly considered both the Droid X and the Fascinate. When I decided on the Fascinate, I knew full well that it was still on 2.1 and there might be a lengthy wait for 2.2. In the end, I went with the Fascinate because I felt it was a better phone despite still being 2.1. So far, I'm very happy with my decision and am enjoying the Android experience far more than I did with the D1 on 2.2. I honestly have to say that I don't miss 2.2 that much but I'll welcome it when it does come out.

As far as the lag and GPS issues go, I haven't experienced these so far. The longest it's ever taken my GPS to lock on is about 10 seconds and has been dead accurate from there. The phone seems incredibly responsive compared to my old phone, although I suspect some of the lag from my old phone was caused by LPP. I'm currently trying out ADW.Launcher EX and am trying to figure out which one I like best. Probably won't settle that one until the LPP rewrite is done.

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if it's been brought up, but I just thought about this myself. If VZW wants to roll out a system update for the GPS or other bugs along with the 2.2 update, that might be what is delaying it. Since all these other updates that have leaked have thus far failed their testing, that could be what the hold up is. Though why they wouldn't just push 2,2 separately is beyond me.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if it's been brought up, but I just thought about this myself. If VZW wants to roll out a system update for the GPS or other bugs along with the 2.2 update, that might be what is delaying it. Since all these other updates that have leaked have thus far failed their testing, that could be what the hold up is. Though why they wouldn't just push 2,2 separately is beyond me.

It's been speculated a few times here on the forums, but it's still a good point. Verizon basically completely ditched the DJ05 update in favor of Froyo, at least it certainly appears that way.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I thought there was a different non-froyo update in the works first.

There was...it's build number was DJ05 (and another later version, DJ09 was recently leaked). But all signs are indicating that Verizon has ditched this maintenance update and are just going to package it with Froyo as well.

zakth

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I would be most pleased if they released a non-bloated version... but that's not going to happen. I cannot stand having all that crap being forced onto my phone with no way to remove it trough the built-in app manage.

Clak

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
It's one of the many reasons I build my own computers. OEM computer manufacturers are worse about bloat than cell phone companies. Though at least you can format them and reinstall the OS with less hassle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloThere