Screen Cast Without Wifi?

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Might try the Samsung WI-FI All-Share Cast Hub. We mirror fairly often here, and so far the Note 7 has disappointed in that regard. I want it the be as convenient as my old phones. That's the appeal of it.

I wonder if you have newer firmware on your adapter.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Might try the Samsung WI-FI All-Share Cast Hub. We mirror fairly often here, and so far the Note 7 has disappointed in that regard. I want it the be as convenient as my old phones. That's the appeal of it.

I wonder if you have newer firmware on your adapter.
I wanted to buy direct from Samsung but they don't have thrm. Sounds like they stopped building them a while ago.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm using the Sunbeam dongle and for my testing I was either somewhere that there was no internet other than the phone or I physically unplugged my modem. In both scenarios I had successful connection. I'm only adding this in hopes it helps you or someone else. Perhaps unplugging the modem for a first time connection will do the trick? My hope would be that going forward that would be unnecessary (after the first successful connection)

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the Sunbeam dongle and for my testing I was either somewhere that there was no internet other than the phone or I physically unplugged my modem. In both scenarios I had successful connection. I'm only adding this in hopes it helps you or someone else. Perhaps unplugging the modem for a first time connection will do the trick? My hope would be that going forward that would be unnecessary (after the first successful connection)
I don't think the modem matters. It's the wifi router. Modem brings internet to router. Router broadcasts. Phone can connect to router (and it will) even if modem is off. Of course you might have a combo modem/router in which case... You would be right.

nobrakes

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I can mirror my phone to my fire tv fine without being on wifi using smart view.

Edit: Just tried on my Sony tv without being on wifi and it works also

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I can mirror my phone to my fire tv fine without being on wifi using smart view.

Edit: Just tried on my Sony tv without being on wifi and it works also
Does HDMI plug get hot? You have to unplug and feel it right after 30 min or more play. Only warm on outside but my metal plug hdmi of dongle gets very hot

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Cool. I bought the last year smart samsung tv that did NOT do full mirroring, only photos and phone videos and to do it I must be on home wifi network. The beginning of my story was my home internet was down so home wifi useless so I needed another option.

nobrakes

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Cool. I bought the last year smart samsung tv that did NOT do full mirroring, only photos and phone videos and to do it I must be on home wifi network. The beginning of my story was my home internet was down so home wifi useless so I needed another option.
Oh ok that is dlna. My tv and fire tv uses Miracast

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I don't think the modem matters. It's the wifi router. Modem brings internet to router. Router broadcasts. Phone can connect to router (and it will) even if modem is off. Of course you might have a combo modem/router in which case... You would be right.

Even with that, at my friend's house he has no internet at all...no wifi...no modem...no router...no cable. And it worked just fine. Again, only adding what I KNOW since it might help someone else. And of course I want to stay up on what others are discovering in this area.

Oh, I did want to stream Netflix as part of my testing and I wasn't able to access the data because I think my phone was still trying to tap into the wifi connection via my home internet (which I had unplugged). So I turned it off (wifi on the phone) and then turned turned Smart View back on again which in turn reactivated wifi but it didn't reconnect to my router. I was then able to open Netflix on my phone using LTE.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
That was my experience. My Microsoft miracast solves my problem. I just don't like the burning hot hdmi and apparently Samsung has stopped making their hub. I wanted to buy direct from Samsung but they gave me the runaround.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Not that this issue is still important now that our Note 7 are being recalled but if anyone is still interested I found that using a female hdmi to female hdmi converter I connected the Microsoft wireless hdmi adapter to the connector to a 3 foot hdmi cable to my tv. I watched Netflix for 20 minutes. The converter hdmi gets very hot (as before) but the extension hdmi at the tv end stays cool. This setup might toast a 99 cent connector but keeps heat away from my tv. I also used a wallwart to connect to usb power rather than using the tv usb power source. As far as tv is concerned it is just a normal hdmi cable providing picture and sound. I would recommend this as one possible setup. Good picture. Good sound.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Do you mean female to MALE HDMI connector? I have a small converter and also a small extension cable. I can use either to be the go between (between the scorching hot converter and the TV port) .

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Do you mean female to MALE HDMI connector? I have a small converter and also a small extension cable. I can use either to be the go between (between the scorching hot converter and the TV port) .
The connector is female on both sides. The male hdmi of miracast plugs into one side of connector. The male hdmi of extension hdmi cord plugs into the other side of the connector. The connector itself has 2 female hdmi ports.

02b84208c28ccc9c5a4d710d585146b3.jpg

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Oh I know. I considered an extension female to male but I already had male to male cables so this was cheaper. I also like the double isolation. A little of plug is exposed on each side allowing a little cooling too. If the connector melts it costs me very little. One poster said the tv end would still get hot. Not at all with my setup nor yours.

I'll be back to Note 3 tomorrow anyway and it allows wired connection. LOL

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Oh I know. I considered an extension female to male but I already had male to male cables so this was cheaper. I also like the double isolation. A little of plug is exposed on each side allowing a little cooling too. If the connector melts it costs me very little. One poster said the tv end would still get hot. Not at all with my setup nor yours.

I'll be back to Note 3 tomorrow anyway and it allows wired connection. LOL
My Sunbeam came w a short extension cable (female to male) and I noticed a small amount of the metal port is visible as you described when connected. I too thought it looked like it would help w keeping the setup from transferring as much heat. Probably very miniscule.