Screen flicker

dcosta43

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
If you don't have full bars all the time (not close enough to your wifi router), I'd suggest returning it and waiting another month before buying another one.
Asus has to be aware of this issue by now...someone in the XDA thread said the newer ones have that fix.
I just got a new one from Staples (exchanged for one w/ light bleed on the backlight) and it still has the flicker problem...very noticable w/ weak wifi signal...barely noticable on strong wifi. At least they seem to have fixed the left edge of the screen popping up in this batch :p

My wifi bar was full, from what i noticed it was flickering anytime it was attempting to download something, which meant while web browsing and loading a webpage it would flicker as well as watching a netflix movie (but it was hard to notice) I just returned it to staples, got a refund, and I am just gonna wait till i come back from after vacation and hope a new batch is out and the bugs are ironed out. The flicker is a defect, since my first one didnt do it, and the screen retention is also a defect, since my second one didnt do it (actually it did very very lightly, but no where near as bad as the first one). Staples doesnt have any more replacements for me but im worried that now i would get one with a glass separation issue or bleeding issue. As much as I hate being without it, I would just recommend everyone to keep sending the defective ones back, that way they have to do something about the quality control.

igjoe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I FINALLY got an answer from Google about this flickering issue.

I sent them an email just asking them if it was a hardware or software issue so I could decide whether or not to return the device. A week later, after I had returned my device already, they told me they couldn't guarantee my warranty since I didn't buy from them and to return the device to my retailer, but still didn't answer my question of hardware or software. I politely asked again and a few days later I got this response:

Thank you for being so patient, we are addressing emails as quickly as possible. The flickering of brightness on your screen is a hardware. We have been offering returns on the device or a replacement. This issue has been addressed and the replacements sent out will not have the same issues.

If you have any questions or if I have not answered your questions well enough please feel free to reply to this email.

Regards,

Ashley
The Google Play Team

So there you have it. Hardware issue.

Now we just have to wait patiently for more shipments.

kenyee

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
yep...supposedly a loose solder joint from what I've heard. I just wish they could give a batch or serial# when it started getting fixed. But I'm glad they're finally admitting it. AsusUSA still doesn't acknowledge it's an issue w/ my question on their facebook page :p

That said, if you have good signal strength or you set your screen to over 50% brightness, you most likely won't notice this.

1812dave

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
People claimed before the first bionic update that headphone output whine had to be a hardware fault. Turns out an OS update totally fixed it. Just saying....

Ashley may be mistaken

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

igjoe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
People claimed before the first bionic update that headphone output whine had to be a hardware fault. Turns out an OS update totally fixed it. Just saying....

Ashley may be mistaken

Is there a possibility that they're mistaken? Absolutely, but multiple people are getting reports from Google that it's hardware. Customer support normally doesn't say anything if they haven't been directed on what to say with certain issues.

Also, your point that some sort of software update could fix the flicker is still a possibility. For now, it appears Google has admitted it's a hardware issue for those affected and are replacing devices rather than pushing out a patch.

Either way, most of us just want a working device ASAP!

Reactions: 1812dave

igjoe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a replacement at a local Walmart last night. I was hoping they might have had a different/newer shipment that didn't have the flicker issue... I was wrong :(

I have a feeling I may have to wait until the end of August or beginning of September.

igjoe

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Google has the 16gb back in stock as of this morning. I put in an order right away and I hope to have it sometime this week. I'll report back whether or not I get another flickering device.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Plus, I only seem to notice a flicker when I'm reading in my room at night so the auto-brightness theories may be correct.

I have the same thing on mine, and I think you are right. I leave mine on automatic brightness and there are times when it seems to adjust the brightness up and down repeatedly for a few seconds, almost like it's "seeking" for the ideal brightness level.

My phone and my wife's phone both do the same thing, as do any electronics I've ever encountered with an automatic brightness setting. My nightlight does it in reverse, because it's in a corner and responds to its own reflected light ("hey, it's dark, I need to brighten up! Wait! It just got bright after I brightened up! Time to dim down! Hey, it's dark!.... (repeat 60 times a second)")

EDIT: OF course, I don't think this is the "flicker" that most people on this thread are returning devices for. Actual artifacting on the screen (seeing lines or static or images that should not be there) may be a video driver problem (fixable in software) or a video card problem (fixable only with new hardware).

HardFire

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
For those with the black line issue but no whole screen flicker:

So, I have done some troubleshooting with my wife's and I's 7's. My device was having the random black line flash on and then off for a fraction of a second (no whole screen flashes) while hers was not. After making sure the settings where the same and doing some experimentation I found that if I turned off the auto-rotate it went away, and when I turned it on on my wife's device she started to see the line appear. So at least for this issue it sounds like a software issue. Hope that helps someone.

thedudeduck

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I had that too! But it only lasted for a few moments and stopped. I'm not sure what the cause is though.

espio

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I've been having the screen flicker issue on my brand new 32gb Nexus 7 (purchased locally last Friday). I pulled a free version of an app from my phone called Lux Auto Brightness and installed it on my Nexus 7 and it worked like a charm to keep my screen from flickering (and can even dim it further than the default settings). There is a paid version of the app with more features and the play store says the free version is not compatible with the Nexus 7 but it seems to work fine so far.
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s/details?id=com.vito.lux.free&token=msXz8Krx
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...e/apps/details?id=com.vito.lux&token=LbpgFTrw

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Haven't seen it own my last two devices. My first had it badly. Second one I didn't use long enough to see.

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

balus3u

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
After the 4.2 update , I see the flickering in a noticeable amount and mostly at low brightness or auto brightness setting but never noticed it when I set the brightness to 30 or high

groundshock

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Just bought two new N7's from Wal-Mart yesterday, also bought their 2-year extended warranty. One of them has this flicker issue, one doesn't. Both C9 SSNs, within 100 of each other.

Will be returning the defective one in the morning.