Screen goes blank during call cannot access dialpad or turn on until other end has completed call. What could the problem be?

A

AC Question

Screen goes blank during call cannot access dialpad or turn on until other end has completed call.

Canadian - LG G3

For a month or so now, it is difficult to start the main screen with the double tap so could be an issue with touch screen, although once turned on with power button, using touch screen is fine. It's just that initial double tap to turn screen on that is tough sometimes.

When I get screen on, can use speaker or not, and i can use dialpad to dial, say for instance to get to voicemail. However, once dialed, the screen goes blank and I'm not able to turn it on by double tapping, by using power button, etc. The only way to get back to using my phone is when the other side has hung up. Then I can start using power button again.

I don't hold phone near proximity sensor, I don't think it's dirty, I don't use a case. I will put the phone down on the table flat and it will stay on. I then move my hand over it starting at bottom and when it gets a little ways from the top, it goes blank. When I remove my hand, with nothing in the way, it stays that way and I can't do anything.

I looked up some smartphone codes, one in particular that could do a proximity test, but it does not work. I'm wondering if it's because I'm in Canada, not the US.

Any help at all would be great. I'd like not to try the next step which is factory reset and backup, as I have not done that before and really don't want to reinstall everything.

Thanks for any help.

Scott

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I'd like not to try the next step which is factory reset and backup, as I have not done that before and really don't want to reinstall everything.

Thanks for any help.

Scott

If it's software related, then this would have a good chance of fixing it. If it doesn't then at least you'd know it could be a bad sensor. I'd save all my stuff and FDR it. My 2 cents.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
I've seen this happen before with several ROM's including Stock, all 5.0+. Just not very frequent. I have a Verizon G3.

I think it's a bug with 5.0 and the lg g3.

me75006

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Canadian - LG G3
For a month or so now, it is difficult to start the main screen with the double tap so could be an issue with touch screen, although once turned on with power button, using touch screen is fine. It's just that initial double tap to turn screen on that is tough sometimes.
<snipped>
Scott

If you look closely at the 'frame' where the four corners are, where one might do the 'knock to unlock' activity.

Try to do your wake-up tap's, within that zone versus doing the wake up taps in the extreme upper right hand corner(example).
I seem to get a better 'realization' by my G3 that I want it to wake up, by doing that. I think that at other times my G3 is off in a deep sleep and wants me to buzz off..lol.