Screen issues are seriously over hyped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I have become seriously discouraged by the quality and quantity of the tone and substance of this topic all over the sites and forums and discussion threads. It really shows the level to which public discourse has deteriorated and the degree to which people will confidently assert opinions about which they think they have expertise but really don't. Not everybody of course, but an overwhelmingly substantial majority imo. Sad to me I guess that such an insignificant issue (relatively speaking) can generate so much smoke and heat while the world . . well . . ok, that's enough . . .

Indeed. It's such an echo chamber with these sites. Sad indeed.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have become seriously discouraged by the quality and quantity of the tone and substance of this topic all over the sites and forums and discussion threads. It really shows the level to which public discourse has deteriorated and the degree to which people will confidently assert opinions about which they think they have expertise but really don't. Not everybody of course, but an overwhelmingly substantial majority imo. Sad to me I guess that such an insignificant issue (relatively speaking) can generate so much smoke and heat while the world . . well . . ok, that's enough . . .

What I don't understand is what motivates people to spend most of their time here slamming something they don't like. I'm not here for that.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
What I don't understand is what motivates people to spend most of their time here slamming something they don't like. I'm not here for that.

This! This has to be the MOST mind blowing part of it all! The fact that people will go out of their way and spend their time bashing something they don't even own or ever had any intentions on owning. It's been almost jaw dropping the number of posters I've seen in the last week with such dogmatic tenacity. Slamming one phone that doesn't effect their lives one bit!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm more likelybto. slam something I really thought I would love... only to find it disappointed me. Like I never slam Moto because I don't expect to like Moto.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm more likelybto. slam something I really thought I would love... only to find it disappointed me. Like I never slam Moto because I don't expect to like Moto.

True enough, but the thing is a lot of people are slamming others for liking the pixel 2 (in this case) who are happy owners of another phone and have no intention of liking the pixel, yet here they are to rain on someone else's parade . . .

Btw, what do you mean you don't expect to like Moto? What are you stupid or something? Wth is wrong with you? . . . /s 😉

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
No I don't do that. In fact I don't think the screen is that bad on the xl2. I like the 16/9 of the regular pixel 2 so would never criticize that.

Are you sure the attackers hadn't hoped to love the new Pixels? I know I did but my complaints are different than most people's.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
No I don't do that. In fact I don't think the screen is that bad on the xl2. I like the 16/9 of the regular pixel 2 so would never criticize that.

Are you sure the attackers hadn't hoped to love the new Pixels? I know I did but my complaints are different than most people's.

Yes, that's why I agreed with you and originally said not everyone, but I could also be wrong of course, just seems to be quite a bit of overwhelmingly combative and argumentive discourse that seems a bit "elevated" and out of proportion to the issue, disappointed as some may be . . .

DoctorOctagon

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
There are people slamming the phone just to be trolls, but there are people like me who really want the phone because I actually think it's close to perfection other than the screen. I am still on my Moto X 2014 and have been waiting for this phone forever. The blue tint really bugs me from what I looked at in the Verizon store. I would be perfectly happy with the small Pixel 2 screen but the form factor is stupid. I'd be going from a 5.2" screen to a 5" screen yet the phone overall is bigger than my mid-range phone from freaking 2014.

I want the Pixel 2 XL so bad but the screen is bumming me out. I'm waiting to see if they improve it in later production. I looked at the S8 and Note 8 again in Verizon and I hate the curved edges of the screen.... I'd rather have the blue tint than those curves. The OG Pixel XL screen looked pretty good to me but I don't want the crappy Bluetooth issues.

DominionRoofs

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
Their TVs are the best too IMO. It's a common opinion also, not just mine. If you are not of that opinion that's cool too. If you are arguing that this 2 XL display is better than Samsung's latest? Well, i will politely say I disagree. :)

I know one thing, their refrigerators suck! 😂

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Some might fit that mold but some are fans of another brand....i would just like to see peaceful intelligent conversation.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If it's not a deal breaker for you, it can't be a deal breaker for others.

Garemlin

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site

Speaking for myself here. I haven't really bashed the Pixel 2. I'm just really disappointed with the quality of the screen. And so many of the other early problems and issues have me seriously worried about the longevity of the Pixel 2. It's been around two weeks and there have been so many different things I see reported. Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy.

I've been in the apple ecosystem since lollipop frustrated me to the point of stepping away from Android two years ago. This after being loyal since the Eris and OG Droid. I want to come back to Android. But I want to do it with a phone that I will be 100% happy with. I was really hoping the P2 would be that phone. I'm just really leery about it and pretty tempted to wait until next year now. My days of getting a new phone every six months are gone so I need my phone to last at least a year or more.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Speaking for myself here. I haven't really bashed the Pixel 2. I'm just really disappointed with the quality of the screen. And so many of the other early problems and issues have me seriously worried about the longevity of the Pixel 2. It's been around two weeks and there have been so many different things I see reported. Doesn't give me a warm fuzzy.

I've been in the apple ecosystem since lollipop frustrated me to the point of stepping away from Android two years ago. This after being loyal since the Eris and OG Droid. I want to come back to Android. But I want to do it with a phone that I will be 100% happy with. I was really hoping the P2 would be that phone. I'm just really leery about it and pretty tempted to wait until next year now. My days of getting a new phone every six months are gone so I need my phone to last at least a year or more.

I think that's what ends up angering people about this situation.

There's a lot of people disappointed with the LG display that Google is using in the Pixel 2 XL.

But to others, the phone is perfect and it's outrageous to them that there are people that are disappointed in something they like.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

There's a lot of people disappointed with the LG display that Google is using in the Pixel 2 XL.

But to others, the phone is perfect and it's outrageous to them that there are people that are disappointed in something they like.

Pretty much. It's a Samsung fanboy situation all over again.

Scottie15

Aug 3, 2015
Visit site

Pretty much this. In my opinion, you simply can't pay $1,000 for that kind of display. I wanted to love the Pixel 2 XL so bad. I would've pulled the trigger at $700 maybe but the QC by Google was upsetting.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I checked it out in-store.

It's bad. Bad being relative to what else is available today. If I wanted a Pixel 2 XL, these issues wouldn't stop me from getting one though.

I'll probably add the regular Pixel 2 to the roster sometime this year though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harmeet123