Screen Protector for Droid Maxx

BlueLions81

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Its not that difficult but you do need to find the correct and best way for you. For me I line up the protector while the protective films are still applied. Tape the protector on my device, flip it to the side, clean phone good, pull film from rear and apply. Perfect alignment and minimal time for dust to collect. Do in a humid bathroom if needed.

But that's me. Nothing wrong with having VZW do it. However, their screen protectors are generally more difficult to install compared to something like iSmooth.

Sent from my Droid Maxx using Tapatalk Pro

I think part of my problem is I didn't know what the heck I was doing. I had replacements that came with the phone, but no instructions and I really didn't know what I was doing. I wasted all the replacements and ended up going to a verizon store to get more. Turns out the one they put on was way, way, way better than the old replacements that I wasted anyways. It was a huge difference and I liked the screen so much better.

viper8315

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Just wanted to chime in here with my .02 worth...I just received my bodyguardz ultratough screen protector the other day, and wow, I'm blown away with it's clarity. I was a long time zagg user, and not looking back. I realize that zagg also has an HD version (which I never tried), but bodyguardz is cheaper, and you get a spare with your initial order in case you mess up. It is a little of a process to install it, but not that bad. Definitely recommend it to anyone out there shopping for a high quality screen protector...

Oh yea, and it is far superior to the Verizon screen protector in terms of fingerprints. I couldn't stand it anymore with that protector.

Last edited:

sforsyth01

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I have been using the Verizon anti scratch ones since the day I got my phone. Really pretty satisfied. After my discount, $10 for 3 of them really isn't that bad in my mind. My only complaint is that it seems to enhance fingerprints on my screen.

Had the same one the phone since the day it came out... 2 months later it finally has scratches on it. But better on an anti scratch screen protector than on my actual screen.

Posted via Android Central App

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to chime in here with my .02 worth...I just received my bodyguardz ultratough screen protector the other day, and wow, I'm blown away with it's clarity. I was a long time zagg user, and not looking back. I realize that zagg also has an HD version (which I never tried), but bodyguardz is cheaper, and you get a spare with your initial order in case you mess up. It is a little of a process to install it, but not that bad. Definitely recommend it to anyone out there shopping for a high quality screen protector...

Oh yea, and it is far superior to the Verizon screen protector in terms of fingerprints. I couldn't stand it anymore with that protector.

I installed my BodyGuardz UltraTough last night and everything seemed fine until i received a call this morning. The screen would go black as soon as I answered and would not come back when I took the phone away from my head. I discovered that it's because there was no cutout for the proximity sensor in the screen protector. Once I made one, everything went back to normal. I found another thread from a user stating that he had the same problem with a ZAGG protector, so head's up...

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I installed my BodyGuardz UltraTough last night and everything seemed fine until i received a call this morning. The screen would go black as soon as I answered and would not come back when I took the phone away from my head. I discovered that it's because there was no cutout for the proximity sensor in the screen protector. Once I made one, everything went back to normal. I found another thread from a user stating that he had the same problem with a ZAGG protector, so head's up...

FWIW, Skinomi's wet-apply screen protector for the Maxx has the proximity sensor cutout.

viper8315

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site

Ok, thanks, I don't seem to have that problem though. I just did a test...I used my land line phone and called my cell phone, then used my hand to activate the sensor and it worked 100% of the 10 times I tried. Did you have any air bubbles or trapped application gel in that area before you cut it? I had some trapped micro bubbles that finally went away after a couple days. I also had some trapped gel that I had to squeegee out the day after. Well, thanks for the heads-up though, I'll know what to do if I have any trouble. Either way, this screen protector is still well worth it...

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
No, I didn't have any bubbles. I've installed a bunch of these. I like to think I've started to get decent at it. :) It looked fine this morning (no air or gel spots).

I tweeted to BodyGuardz earlier and they thanked me for the heads up and said they would work on it. FWIW...

Sent from my Droid Maxx

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
so is it a yes or no for screen protector? i have the original razr maxx and with my use i don't have a scratch on it. does that mean the droid maxx's screen is not as tough as the original razr maxx?

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
so is it a yes or no for screen protector? i have the original razr maxx and with my use i don't have a scratch on it. does that mean the droid maxx's screen is not as tough as the original razr maxx?

Not at all. It all comes down to personal preference...

Sent from my Droid Maxx

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
OK. So if my original RAZR maxx was fine without a screen protector, this DROID maxx should be OK too right? I did see some minor scratches on the store demo plus the store people kept saying any scratch on the phone would void the warranty so it concerned me enough to not take off the plastic thats on the screen just yet.

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
OK. So if my original RAZR maxx was fine without a screen protector, this DROID maxx should be OK too right? I did see some minor scratches on the store demo plus the store people kept saying any scratch on the phone would void the warranty so it concerned me enough to not take off the plastic thats on the screen just yet.

If you're careful, yeah.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

tcmeiss

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't. I suspect a salesdweeb trying to make an accessory sale.

(Note: I always use a screen protector. I never use a Verizon brand, though.)

This.

I know I probably don't have to worry about scratching the screen, but I'd rather play it safe.

Sent from my Droid Maxx

redddog

May 2, 2012
Visit site
If you have a phone for a good amount of time and you don't have scratches on it, count yourself lucky. These phones WILL absolutely scratch. They hold up well to big things like keys etc but minute sand particles will wreak havoc on a screen. If you took your phone and slid it face down on concrete, it will be scratched like crazy.

GG resists scratches. it isn't impervious.

ulnek

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
ok so scratches doesn't void the one year warranty right? the reasons i don't want to get a screen protector are because it makes finger swiping feel different and i've heard problems where it interferes with the sensor. makes the screen feel sticky plus if it's not put on relatively even on all sides it bothers me because i have this thing about being even. >_<

the reason i want to get one is because i don't want scratches. it seems people are getting them with this screen even though i never got one with my razr maxx. i just figured screens have improved to the point of no scratches so i haven't seen one in any of my last 3 smartphones (htc incredible, galaxy nexus, razr maxx), all of which never had a screen protector and have fallen on the ground face down. i had a screen protector on my original droid and it felt tacky at times and eventually the sides started peeling. i eventually took it off and never got a scratch on it.

Masheen

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Don't even use screen protectors. Gorilla Glass 3 provides excellent scratch resistance. Unless you work around stone, sand, or live in the desert, rock it naked. No case, no screen protector. If your gonna walk around with scratches on the protector, its the same as walking around with a scratched screen. Screen protector scratches are uglier. Yes you can replace them. You can also go thru them like water if you keep getting frustrated from the air bubbles that can sneak in. Ultimately, especially for Edge plan people, you wont own this phone for more than a year so why not feel the beauty of the actual screen, rather than the plastic like texture of a screen protector. There is a world of difference between the two. If your worried about the phone's condition on a turn in, don't be, it takes a lot more than a few minor scratches for you to lose money on trade ins. If you insist on going for a screen protector, Do NOT get the anti-glare ones. They distort screen quality.

jfriend33

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
Don't even use screen protectors. Gorilla Glass 3 provides excellent scratch resistance. Unless you work around stone, sand, or live in the desert, rock it naked. No case, no screen protector. If your gonna walk around with scratches on the protector, its the same as walking around with a scratched screen. Screen protector scratches are uglier. Yes you can replace them. You can also go thru them like water if you keep getting frustrated from the air bubbles that can sneak in. Ultimately, especially for Edge plan people, you wont own this phone for more than a year so why not feel the beauty of the actual screen, rather than the plastic like texture of a screen protector. There is a world of difference between the two. If your worried about the phone's condition on a turn in, don't be, it takes a lot more than a few minor scratches for you to lose money on trade ins. If you insist on going for a screen protector, Do NOT get the anti-glare ones. They distort screen quality.

I love my anti glare protector. The screen smudges are few and far between compared to naked. Also if you use an otterbox defender case, with a naked display, you're just asking for trouble. One little piece of something and it can get ugly.

Sent from my XT1080m using Tapatalk