Screen stops responding to touches randomly and can also randomly restart.

XLAAX

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

Noticed over the past 2 weeks my phone has now started to randomly stop responding to touches, and even more rarely, randomly restart.
When I say stops responding to touches, I dont mean the phone display is frozen, if I'm watching a video for instance, the video and audio will still play, just wont react to any touches, from anywhere between 5-30 seconds and then catch up with my inputs afterwards.

I have tried wiping the phones cache, restarting of course, uninstalling some apps and now I'm operating in safe mode to see if it occurs here (not so far, but as I say it does seem to be rare, seems to happen 1 or 2 times per day)

Any other suggestions or what the possible cause/issue is?

Thanks

Mr Bojangles1

Oct 29, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Noticed over the past 2 weeks my phone has now started to randomly stop responding to touches, and even more rarely, randomly restart.
When I say stops responding to touches, I dont mean the phone display is frozen, if I'm watching a video for instance, the video and audio will still play, just wont react to any touches, from anywhere between 5-30 seconds and then catch up with my inputs afterwards.

I have tried wiping the phones cache, restarting of course, uninstalling some apps and now I'm operating in safe mode to see if it occurs here (not so far, but as I say it does seem to be rare, seems to happen 1 or 2 times per day)

Thanks

What kind of phone is it? And how old?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks
If it's not happening in safe mode you'll have to check suspect apps and uninstall to problem goes away

XLAAX

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
If it's not happening in safe mode you'll have to check suspect apps and uninstall to problem goes away

Thanks for the reply! I was hoping I could say I fixed it after uninstalling some recent apps and others I didnt use anymore and finding the amazon app store was disabled and re-enabling it, which seemed to be the case for the last few days but encountered it again today.

Weirdly this time I noticed two separate apps stopped responding to touches briefly, but I could still return to the home screen fine do presumed it was just the apps being bad, but a little later I couldn't return to the home screen either for a brief while until all was fine again.

I did try using safe mode for a few hours and didnt encounter it, unfortunately with occurrence of this issue being so rare, like once or twice a day, it's hard to rule out whether being on safe mode didnt cause it, or it simply didnt happen while on safe mode.

If it is due to apps, is there any way to try and nail down which app could be the cause?

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you install any new apps about 2 weeks ago, when this all started? If so, those apps would be the ones to try uninstalling first.

XLAAX

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Hey again.
As an update, I uninstalled my recent apps from that point, (though its difficult to tell what apps were recent, I had to guess from the apps screen and seeing the latest apps there, but I may have moved some to folders).
Anyway since then I've noticed a new symptom, that I can now also get a "System UI has stopped responding" error, with the options to close or wait.

Does this open up anything else to try and fix it?

It doesnt seem as regular as it once was but still happens.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Problems with the System UI could be due to a conflicting 3rd party app, wonky system data, or some kind of firmware corruption. You already wiped the cache partition, so it's unlikely to be wonky temporary system data. You may just have to keep uninstalling 3rd party apps. Remember that an update to an app you've had for a while could also be the culprit.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey again.
As an update, I uninstalled my recent apps from that point, (though its difficult to tell what apps were recent, I had to guess from the apps screen and seeing the latest apps there, but I may have moved some to folders).
Anyway since then I've noticed a new symptom, that I can now also get a "System UI has stopped responding" error, with the options to close or wait.

Does this open up anything else to try and fix it?

It doesnt seem as regular as it once was but still happens.
System UI crashing , this might need a factory reset . Try this first go to settings>apps>3 dots upper right corner tap>scroll to system apps tap> scroll down all the way until you find system UI > clear data, cache, and force stop that and see what happens if doesn't work factory reset your phone.