Screen turns on for seemingly no reason

Grndlvl

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
For some reason, my S7E screen will light up randomly. I know with certain SMS apps, you can have the screen light up when a text comes in, but I'm using Hangouts, and to the best of my knowledge, it doesn't even have that option. Even if it did, when it happens, there are no new alerts.

At one point, just playing around, I went into the Accessibility menu, Dexterity and Interaction, and turned "Easy Screen turn on" on. I didn't like it, so I turned it off. I wave my hand over the sensor every now and again to make sure this isn't on, and it's not.

Has anyone else experienced this?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about the S7 but with Marshmallow in general, go to Settings -> Sound & notification and see what "When device is locked" is set to.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
For some reason, my S7E screen will light up randomly. I know with certain SMS apps, you can have the screen light up when a text comes in, but I'm using Hangouts, and to the best of my knowledge, it doesn't even have that option. Even if it did, when it happens, there are no new alerts.

At one point, just playing around, I went into the Accessibility menu, Dexterity and Interaction, and turned "Easy Screen turn on" on. I didn't like it, so I turned it off. I wave my hand over the sensor every now and again to make sure this isn't on, and it's not.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Ever since I did the software update I have noticed this happening to my s7 edge as well. I have it sitting on my desk and all of a sudden see the screen come on, anticipating an incoming message, email or call and nothing there. Not sure what is causing it wake.

f308gt4

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Ever since I did the software update I have noticed this happening to my s7 edge as well. I have it sitting on my desk and all of a sudden see the screen come on, anticipating an incoming message, email or call and nothing there. Not sure what is causing it wake.

Same thing happens on my regular S7. Odd.

I'm still getting great battery life, so it doesn't seem to be affecting that, but would be nice if it didn't happen.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed when anything covers the front sensor, it will light up the screen. There used to be an option for "wake up" on the S6 when you wave your hand over the sensor and it wakes the phone up. It seems to be something they incorporated into the S7 edge. If you place your phone face down, it will not light up because the sensor detects that it is covered. I just leave my screen face down to avoid it lighting up. It does get annoying at times

awakenemile

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. It happened just a few minutes ago. Perhaps there is an app running in the background? I usually don't get texts, so when my screen lights up, so do I, but then I don't receive anything, so I just feel dejected all over again.

Posted via the Android Central App

jinzen

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site
I see this sometimes in my car, where it detects movement and there is an old notification I haven't cleared.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Mine does it too. It is just sitting there. Not moving, nothing near it and, as far as I know, it is not doing anything. When I turn off wifi it seems to stop. I thought maybe it was connecting and/or disconnecting from wifi, although it is sitting near my router. I cannot think of anything else that would cause it.

AC2016

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
Same here with my S7 Edge. I've noticed that my screen wakes up and a second later I see the gray highlighted msg "Connected to WiFi Network" at the bottom of the screen. Additionally, I also get the wake up screen for no apparent reason (no WiFi connecting, no text msg, no other types of notifications).

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
My wife's S7 does it. It even turned on the camera once just sitting there on the table. Like if there was a phantom home button press and double press...

markalpan

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
My S7 edge does this all the time as well. It's most annoying at night since it is charging right next to my head. It also does it frequently when I am done looking at it and lock the screen to put it in my pocket, then I look down at the phone just before it gets to my pocket and the screen is on. I hope someone here has a solution to this bug.

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I haven't noticed this with my S7 Edge. My phone is next to me on my desk all day so it would catch my eye if it did it.

oks10

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
I WAS going to try and get this looked at on my wife's phone because it had even opened the camera on it's own but she destroyed the screen the other night. SO, insurance claim filed and the phone is currently on backorder. Thank goodness we kept our S5's... I haven't had this issue on my edge, just the issue with the Recent Apps/Multi-window button going crazy on it's own.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Hm do some of you use the stock messenger? It could be getting a text and lighting up .. and then lighting up on the reminder. Only thing I can think of. I use Textra and set it to not wake my screen up on text.

The only time my screen turns on by itself when sitting on the desk is when I get a phone call or when the phone gets fully charged and it is letting me know that. Other than that it never just turns on by itself.