SD Card App Icons Not Showing Up

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
Recently I took my S9+ to UBreakIFix to get a software upgrade because my battery life was severely inferior to other S9+s I've seen. They completed that, but I have yet to see if it worked. My device is learning usage patterns.

However, now apps I've transferred to my class 3 SD card won't restore their icons after I've restarted my device. Can anyone help me with this?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Apps you moved to the card before the fix or since the fix? (And we really shouldn't, because that's a great way to destroy the SD card and lose your data from those apps.)

Jul 10, 2018
Visit site
And I understand what you're saying. However, I haven't had a problem with doing that so far and I've been moving apps from my phone to my SD card for at least 5 years and it is an available feature, so shouldn't it work properly, even if I don't/shouldn't use it?

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
The problem of Apps not showing proper icons, when moved to SD card can be solved as follows:
I have a Note 8 with a Samsung 256 GB SD Card.
When I move eligible apps to the SD card, the icons show up as greyed out, with the annotation "SD".

To get the proper icon display again proceed as follows:
1. Go to Settings/Device maintenance/Storage
2. Click on the "3 dots" at the upper right of the screen
3. Select: Storage settings
4. Select "SD card", then click on "UNMOUNT"
5. Wait a few minutes until the SD card is unmounted. A message will show it to be finished.
6. When the SD card is unmounted: Select and click on: "Mount SD card"
7. When the SD card is mounted again, all the apps show up again in the app drawer, with their proper icons.
8. Copy missing icons on the Home screen from the corresponding app icons in the app drawer.
9. If it does not work properly, repeat steps: 1 through 8.

Good luck,
Peter

tbone01701

Aug 23, 2018
Visit site
The problem of Apps not showing proper icons, when moved to SD card can be solved as follows:
When I move eligible apps to the SD card, the icons show up as greyed out, with the annotation "SD".

5. Wait a few minutes until the SD card is unmounted. A message will show it to be finished.
7. When the SD card is mounted again, all the apps show up again in the app drawer, with their proper icons.
8. Copy missing icons on the Home screen from the corresponding app icons in the app drawer.

Good luck,
Peter

tbone01701

Aug 23, 2018
Visit site
Tried this, but it does not work. I am on a Note 8. I did a restart & now the icons for all apps on my SD card are grayed out in the app drawer only. Icons on the home pages are fine and all apps launch correctly (both when grayed out in the app drawer & correctly displayed on the home screen).

I have tried unmounting/remounting as listed above, wiping the cache partition, moving apps back to phone memory & then back to SD card again.... nothing has fixed the problem. PLEASE HELP!!!!

DPB57

Aug 29, 2018
Visit site
I have the same problem on my SGS8. I tried a few experiments and the only "fix" is to have the apps in the phone on boot and move them to the SD later. NOT PRACTICAL

Since it appears to me the icons are built/loaded before the SD card is mounted I am looking for a way to trigger the OS to rebuild the icons after the SD card is mounted.

cfgauss

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site

On the third try, all my blacked-out icons returned to their original color representations after Step 7 on my Galaxy S8 with a 256 GB SD card. Every time I reboot, I need to repeat this process and, on the third try, I'm finally successful. Many thanks for a process that works.

Last edited:

msross

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I have the same PROBLEM WITH my s9. I called samsung and it seems to be a sw problem. The way to get around it, which is annoying, is to install a new theme and the icons will restore. Then go back to you preferred theme and all the icons will be there. They will be there until you reboot the next time you start your system. Then you have to do the same thing with the themes to recover again.

UdiBerry

Mar 17, 2018
Visit site
There's a new version to the Samsung Experience Home (ver.9.0.12.2) that just came out and fixes this problem.

emerald0567

Sep 5, 2018
Visit site
There's a new version to the Samsung Experience Home (ver.9.0.12.2) that just came out and fixes this problem.

When is that rolling out? I have no software updates on my phone as of yet.

BTW, a temporary fix (until you restart your phone) is to force stop both Samsung Experience Home and Samsung Experience Service. The icons will reappear as normal.

Karen_101

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem after transferring all my eligible apps to my sd card.
Finally figured out a way to fix it.
Go to your theme setting and then click on the icon button.
Select ur existing icon setting, then re-apply the setting. All my icons image came back.
But there was a warning message stating that some data might be lose.
So far, seems to me everything are still there.
Hope this help!

hemi500

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
When is that rolling out? I have no software updates on my phone as of yet.

BTW, a temporary fix (until you restart your phone) is to force stop both Samsung Experience Home and Samsung Experience Service. The icons will reappear as normal.
Thanks for the tip. This worked for me. NOTE: I currently have Samsung Experience Home version 9.0.10.76 Looking forward to a verizon update at some point in the future

Darryl Baker

Sep 6, 2018
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. This worked for me. NOTE: I currently have Samsung Experience Home version 9.0.10.76 Looking forward to a verizon update at some point in the future

You may not have to wait. I was able to update the Samsung Experience app through the "Samsung Apps" Store. Independent of the OS update.:)

chinarut

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
@Karen_101 - you're a champ! rebuilding my icons worked like a charm & realized i needed to reapply my theme because it contained custom icons. we're all good in the hood now! ^_^

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Recently I took my S9+ to UBreakIFix to get a software upgrade because my battery life was severely inferior to other S9+s I've seen.

What software upgrade did UBreakIFix perform that was not available through the regular update in settings or that you couldn't do with odin?
How much did that cost?
What is your location?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke