Second Hand Note 7 Recall Thread

Bimmerman

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: PSA: How to get your used / second hand Note 7 replaced.

I have a question for everyone who got their phones replaced/refunded even though you bought it off Craigslist etc...

Did they ask for your credit card info and place a temporary hold for $920? Until they receive yours? I declined this offer btw.

Also...If you opted for a refund did they ask you to ship it out? They told me they'd send me a prepaid box and I'd get my refund between 10-14 days AFTER they receive the phone, I asked if they could ship it to a store and exchange or any other options they said they couldn't so ...I accepted this option of a refund instead.

I got a ticket number. I don't know if I should argue further...I bought my phone off Offer up and tmobile manager wouldn't listen and kept talking over me that they couldnt take it because i was a prepaid customer and no receipt. Took 10 calls between tmo/sam for a final decision

I never gave them a CC, just my address.

I spoke with the Note 7 exchange department yesterday. They did offer the replacement with the credit card hold and I declined. Because of where I live, the other option was to get a replacement by meeting up with a Stericycle rep. The rep said they would contact me in 48-72 hours and set up the exchange. All I needed to do was to bring the device and I could keep all of the accessories. I originally opted for this, but after thinking about it and seeing what is going on with the carriers starting to back away from the device, I called back and switched to the refund option. Unfortunately my phone call got disconnected due to driving through a dead zone, but the Samsung rep called back and left a message with a new case number. My only concern is my device has some scratches on the screen. I sure hope that doesn't become an issue.

Shouldn't be, the Stericycle rep didn't care the condition. They are just required to pick it up, thats it.

greystealth1

Oct 9, 2016
Visit site

I've been watching this thread for a while. I'll share my experience with everyone.

Bought Note 7 from a Swappa seller. Recall came out and seller was willing to help. We called Samsung dozens of times with no success. He then fell off of the face of the earth so I continued calling. AT&T wouldn't help me either. I kept calling Samsung and finally got some traction. They took down my info, and I sent them a copy of my purchase receipt. A couple days ago i got a text from Samsung asking to call them back. I did and the rep gave me 2 options. Put a $900+ hold on my card while they send me a new Note 7, and return mine within 20 days or meet up with a Sterylecycle rep. I opted for the meet up. Today I suddenly got an email and text with a UPS tracking number. It looks like they're sending a device my way - totally unexpected. I'll let you guys know if it actually arrives.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site

I've been watching this thread for a while. I'll share my experience with everyone.

Bought Note 7 from a Swappa seller. Recall came out and seller was willing to help. We called Samsung dozens of times with no success. He then fell off of the face of the earth so I continued calling. AT&T wouldn't help me either. I kept calling Samsung and finally got some traction. They took down my info, and I sent them a copy of my purchase receipt. A couple days ago i got a text from Samsung asking to call them back. I did and the rep gave me 2 options. Put a $900+ hold on my card while they send me a new Note 7, and return mine within 20 days or meet up with a Sterylecycle rep. I opted for the meet up. Today I suddenly got an email and text with a UPS tracking number. It looks like they're sending a device my way - totally unexpected. I'll let you guys know if it actually arrives.

After reading of 2 more Note 7's melting down, I think the best bet is a refund. I went with the refund before knowing of 2 other devices that also burned up this week. It's over for the Note 7.

harrychimp71

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site

Walked into Verizon corporate store. No Note 7s on display and are no longer being sold. Asked if I could exchange my Verizon branded device, though not bought at Verizon. Was told I'd have to go thru Samsung.

eaglehdz_21

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

so... what now guys? i can only hope that samsung will now finally accept all devices back no questions asked?

johnkk

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site

Can anyone please help or have any advice? I bought my Note 7 off craigslist. I can't get a hold of the seller. I was wondering if Samsung will do right and take the phone back and give me money back or how that works? Before they were giving exchanges which made sense but I am worried about getting cash back. Especially since I didn't pay full price for it, so I mean they can't just give me $1k for it or whatever. This is a mess. I was fine keeping it but now Gear Fit / Oculus is disabled...

anon(9785393)

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site

Can anyone please help or have any advice? I bought my Note 7 off craigslist. I can't get a hold of the seller. I was wondering if Samsung will do right and take the phone back and give me money back or how that works? Before they were giving exchanges which made sense but I am worried about getting cash back. Especially since I didn't pay full price for it, so I mean they can't just give me $1k for it or whatever. This is a mess. I was fine keeping it but now Gear Fit / Oculus is disabled...

I am wondering the same thing. I will probably go back to the T-Mo store that did my replacement exchange and see what they say. I really want to just give the Note7 in exchange for a V20.

M2D2X

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site
Same here, but I called Samsung last night and the rep said it needs a supervisor's approval and will let me know. My case is worse though since the one I bought off CL is an international model not sold in the US.

FNBlackbeard

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site
Same here, but I called Samsung last night and the rep said it needs a supervisor's approval and will let me know. My case is worse though since the one I bought off CL is an international model not sold in the US.

Let me know how it works out for you. I'm on the same boat with an international Note 7.

Bimmerman

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I am wondering what will happen now.

It took a lot of effort to get my initial Note 7 replaced that I bought from Swappa. At this point I want refund, they do not have another phone that I would want.

Omar Kandil

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Basically I called Samsung they said sterocycle will not be doing the exchange anymore instead Samsung will be sending me a box in 2 days to send it back then I will recieve a check

Bimmerman

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I just called back and got a ticket number.

The lady told me Sterocycle will be picking up the device and once they receive it I will get a check in the mail within 10-14 business days.

She said they should be calling me within 72 hours to set up a meeting time.

anon(9785393)

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Agreed. There is no Samsung left that I want. Therefore, they should give everyone the list price back who bought a note7, no matter where bought!

Bimmerman

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, the sad part is every other phone on the market is a downgrade.

I am hoping the LG V20 is as solid as pre reviews are looking, that is what i am going to get.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lunarmoon0320