Second HTC One (M8) - Do You Have Build Quality Issues?

Mute-a-gen

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi. This is my first post on these forums.

I was really looking forward to buying the HTC ONE M8 because of all the information I'd read about how good the build quality is, and I want a smartphone that will last me a long time - I'm not rich and can't afford frequent upgrades. Unfortunately yesterday, I came across a web site which refers to the internal build quality of the M8, and frankly, I was appalled by what I read and saw. It would seem that HTC have used a lot of glue and sticky tape to hold the components together inside the phone, which apparently makes it very difficult to repair if you need to replace bits and pieces. I could understand the use of such substandard assembly methods for a cheap and nasty bottom of the line phone that would cost more to fix than to buy a new one, but not when it comes to a top of the line smartphone!

Here is a link to the article I refer to above for anyone who is interested:

Inside the HTC One M8 - PC Advisor

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
My first M8 battery life was awesome! I'm not keen on the size of the thing, but the battery life was great. Then one day the camera just quit working. No reason. Even after a FDR, no worky. So I called VZW and they sent me a refurbished one. Wow. What a POS. The battery life sucks. I can't go all day unless I just don't use it. Then it'll last all day. The hotspot is like surfing on dial-up speeds. The phone Internet works fine, but the hotspot is horrible. I don't know if I want VZW to switch it out again. Who knows what I'd get. I think I'll just sell it for what I can get for it and move back to the G2.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
My first M8 battery life was awesome! I'm not keen on the size of the thing, but the battery life was great. Then one day the camera just quit working. No reason. Even after a FDR, no worky. So I called VZW and they sent me a refurbished one. Wow. What a POS. The battery life sucks. I can't go all day unless I just don't use it. Then it'll last all day. The hotspot is like surfing on dial-up speeds. The phone Internet works fine, but the hotspot is horrible. I don't know if I want VZW to switch it out again. Who knows what I'd get. I think I'll just sell it for what I can get for it and move back to the G2.

Welcome to the wonderful world of refurbish roulette. Doesn't seem to matter what manufacturer you buy from, you run a high risk of a a warranty replacement having problems too right out of the box.

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I had to swap out my first one cause it had about 1/2 an inch to 3/4s of an inch of screen that wouldnt respond to touches. When I loaded up Play Store while still at Verizon, I went to check my apps list and see what was downloading before leaving and nothing. Learned it was that way across the screen itself in that little area. Had to then run to another store like 30 mins away and swap it out, this one has been perfect. Zero issues so far. Ive learned to expect a chance of some sort of issue with my electronics given how mass produced alot of this stuff is nowadays.

scottysize

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the wonderful world of refurbish roulette. Doesn't seem to matter what manufacturer you buy from, you run a high risk of a a warranty replacement having problems too right out of the box.

Ya. Now I have to go through the process of getting another replacement, yada yada yada. Pain.