Setup Droid before activation?

Josh44

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi everybody, I'm new here. I bought my wife a Droid for Christmas (I'm a Storm 1 user and really like the feel of the Droid). Anyway, I wanted to set it up with pictures and music before I give it to her, but it apparently I have to call on the phone to activate it before I can get to any kind of menu or anything. That would give away the surprise since it would deactivate her current phone. Is there anyway around this, or am I going to be stuck loading stuff up on Christmas morning after she unwraps and activates it?

Thanks for any help guys.
-Josh

Nechasin

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
I''m afraid you are going to be stuck loading it up christmas morning. I wanted to do the same thing when I got mine, because my wife wanted to make a big deal out of it since I was getting it for an early christmas. But I couldn't play with it all until I officially got it.

herki

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I think you have to activate it to get access to most of the functions. I know that you can place emergency calls without activation (I think), but the issue is with Verizon mostly. I'm not entirely sure, since I've never had a phone outside Verizon, but I would guess that with other phones, you can start it up without a SIM card and skip the activation for the time being. Since Verizon phones don't have SIM cards, you don't get this option.

Sorry, but I think the best you can do is have all the stuff to put on it ready and waiting on your computer, and transfer it right after you activate your wife's phone. Getting files onto it is pretty easy, and it wouldn't be that bad.

motodroid.md

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Not true. When you get the screen with the little green droid you can bypass that screen and begin to set phone up. On the screen with the droid tap top left, then top right corner, then bottom right corner and last bottom left corner this will get you into the phone and bypass activation.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
Not true. When you get the screen with the little green droid you can bypass that screen and begin to set phone up. On the screen with the droid tap top left, then top right corner, then bottom right corner and last bottom left corner this will get you into the phone and bypass activation.

Uhh, can someone confirm this? This doesn't sound right to me.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
The only reason I am doubting this is because unless there was something I missed during initial activation, the Droid does not have a Green Droid appear during the bootup sequence, just the Motorola Logo and then the Droid 'Eye'

motodroid.md

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
well thats after the phone has been activated. The reason you didnt notice the green droid screen is because your sales rep activated it for you. However the ops phone has not been activated so he will see the green droid screen.

Josh44

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site

Thank you, that worked!

robblack

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I tried tapping top left top right and bottom right and bottom left and nothing happened

what am i doing wrong i want to use my droid without activating

please help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arlecchino