Setup first

jtfwTX

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
When transferring from my s22U to the s23U (just arrived!), What do most of you do ? Put in sim from old phone to new phone then start the smart switch process or do the transfer first then add your sim?

Does it matter? I'd like to do it efficiently and ideally correctly!

Thanks all and very excited to play with our new toy!!

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Here is what I did:

1. Removed everything off my old device that I didn't NEED on my new one (this was a lot of cleaning of files, pics and stuff)
2. Remove any apps I really don't need
3. Used Smart Switch to do the swap
4. Powered off my phone
5. Insert the SIM into the new phone
6. Power ON phone, wait for boot and finish setup

Go0gle

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
It was super easy, at least in my case. I use Google apps for everything (including Google Photos) and 99% of my texting is via WhatsApp.

I just followed the on-screen instructions and allowed it to wirelessly transfer everything over. It even brings over your logins/passwords. I backed up my WhatsApp chats, but it turned out I didn't have to as it all showed up on the new phone as well after the transfer.

Obviously make backups where appropriate in case something goes wrong, but it's extremely straightforward and it basically clones your old phone into the new one. Settings, app locations on the home screen, and even WiFi passwords etc. are all intact and just how you left them.

It asks for the SIM during the setup process and I just installed it when it asked me to.

The nice thing is you don't have to do anything to your old phone until you are satisfied that everything has been moved over to the new phone, so you always have that backup as well and you never have to take a 'leap of faith' for lack of a better term haha.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
That makes sense. I did the SIM last and I would have been unhappy doing all that set up and phone won't work

Sent from my SM-X800 using Tapatalk

It would have bothered me if the phone was not working, but I figured that I would find that out while transferring things over.

Anyway, I really, honestly, do not think there is a wrong way to do it. SIM first, last or whatever, as long as you get it done, I think that is all that matters! :D

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Does the Samsung Smart Switch app transfer everything from one phone to the other? Is it truly like a cloning process? I noticed that the iPhones are really good at transferring everything when you upgrade, so I'm wondering if Smart Switch is just as good.

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Does the Samsung Smart Switch app transfer everything from one phone to the other? Is it truly like a cloning process? I noticed that the iPhones are really good at transferring everything when you upgrade, so I'm wondering if Smart Switch is just as good.

Never used an iPhone but have set it up for my wife and Smart switch is just as good. This time with the S23 it seemed much faster than when I used it previously. Transferred every app and most were set up like from my s21 Ultra. I didn't have to set log in information.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

It depends. If you use your phone the way samsung would prefer (OneUI as the launcher, all samsung or Google apps and services) then it probably works as well or almost as well, they have made some big leaps in the last couple of years.

But if you do a lot of customisation and use third party stuff, it gets a bit more wonky.

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
It depends. If you use your phone the way samsung would prefer (OneUI as the launcher, all samsung or Google apps and services) then it probably works as well or almost as well, they have made some big leaps in the last couple of years.

But if you do a lot of customisation and use third party stuff, it gets a bit more wonky.

So I can just do smart switch from phone to phone with the cable right? I want to do it at work on dinner break. I kind of remember someone telling us from our 21 to 22 that you can do it wirelessly I forget now how we did it. I won't be using the 23U yet but want to set it up and than will put my sim in tomorrow after I get my screen protector and a popsocket. I hope i can just put in my sim and be ready and not have to call Verizon for anything and get charged $39.

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
So I can just do smart switch from phone to phone with the cable right? I want to do it at work on dinner break. I kind of remember someone telling us from our 21 to 22 that you can do it wirelessly I forget now how we did it. I won't be using the 23U yet but want to set it up and than will put my sim in tomorrow after I get my screen protector and a popsocket. I hope i can just put in my sim and be ready and not have to call Verizon for anything and get charged $39.

Honestly, I did mine wirelessly and it did not take too long.

Then again, I did move a LOT of the data off the phone and onto a USB SSD first. I think about 230GB of data (pics/vids/files), so I only had about 130GB used on my phone at the time of transfer.

I found it to be faster to put only the files I really needed back on my S23U from the USB SSD than let it transfer.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

It will ask you during setup if you want to do it wirelessly or use a cable.

The setup process is super easy now with the new Nearby Devices thing. Just have your old phone open and close and it will just copy all your accounts and stuff rom it. Really nice feature.

notforhire

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I always use a cable for Smart Switch just to avoid any hiccups in the wireless. Probably not necessary, but that's what I do.

Sent from my SM-S908U1

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone I'm going to do it at work on my dinner break shortly I just went on my Wi-Fi passwords and my Samsung pass passwords and my settings to come back. And like when I went from the 21 to the 22 all my apps came back and my home screen filled up with my folders and apps in there. I hope it's the same. But yes previously I used to do Samsung backup and restore which now all I have is Google backup but I did that the other day just in case I needed it. Thanks everyone!

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site
So I have the unlocked from Samsung I am on dinner break at work and the wireless transfer worked great and is done now except for my apps of course are still downloading and greyed out. I always put my pics and video in a folder on my PC which I'll name S22Ultra but anyway in the beginning of my set up it asked which carrier I had and said something about esim. I skipped that part cause I am still going to use my old phone probably till tomorrow or when I get home from work tonight hubby can help me swap out the sim. Is it ok that I skipped it right then? Will it come back and ask me carrier when I put the sim in the new phone? Thanks!

Cuda13

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
So I have the unlocked from Samsung I am on dinner break at work and the wireless transfer worked great and is done now except for my apps of course are still downloading and greyed out. I always put my pics and video in a folder on my PC which I'll name S22Ultra but anyway in the beginning of my set up it asked which carrier I had and said something about esim. I skipped that part cause I am still going to use my old phone probably till tomorrow or when I get home from work tonight hubby can help me swap out the sim. Is it ok that I skipped it right then? Will it come back and ask me carrier when I put the sim in the new phone? Thanks!

I skipped that part and put the physical sim in later after I had everything else set up. No issues.