Setup first

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
So how do you set up your S23U by restoring a SmartSwitch backup you saved on PC??

Seriously I hate Android restores because it's not as straight forward as iOS cloud backup/restore...

I made a backup on SmartSwitch on my PC. I put my sim in the S23U and booted up, go through the Welcome, Wifi, Google account, Samsung Account and no point does it say Smart Switch restore. When I log into my Samsung Account it notices Samsung Cloud backup and ask me if I want to restore settings and apps so I say yes thinking that is SmartSwitch and it's restoring app right now but I don't think it's gonna restore my SmartSwitch backup.

This is the second time I did a factory reset. The first time it prompted me to do a setup phone to phone and I figured I'd give it a shot. But during the setup it prompted me to do the monthly security update and I think at reboot after installing the update, it did continued on with some setup and installing but ended and looked nothing like my S22U.

Do I have to let it do the full Samsung cloud restore then run SmartSwitch Restore? It doesn't seem right. Ugh.
Ugh, maybe third times the charm??

Factory rest again but instead through Android I clears system cache and Factory erased from bios.

Welcome screen, tried to do the phone to phone again and this time it got me to the smart switch option and trying cable to cable and we will see.

I’m not sure if I trust it. I choose complete restore and I turn my attention elsewhere and both phones go to sleep. I unlock and it looks like it is still copying but the new phone loads up prompt to log into Samsung account then prompts me to restore settings etc while SmartSwitch is still running.

I hope whatever Samsung restore is doing doesn’t screw up what SmartSwitch is doing. This is always the frustrating part.
So start-up I skip the sim part , log in Google account next log into Samsung then device starts up , I wait untill everything loads up Galaxy store , Play store etc.. it says restore in progress once everything up I check Samsung Smart switch and restore photos or anything that didn't get transferred from Google/Samsung account .

Smart switch PC great for restore a full back up at any time with or without signing into Google account and Samsung account , you can choose all things, single , multiple and does secure folder, sd cards, photos/videos

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using AC Forums mobile app

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
So I wish somehow in the setup on the next galaxy devices, you wouldn't have to relogin into every app on the new device. Entering username, password, and 2FA for 20 plus apps is annoying. First world problems lol. I've been told that with ios this isn't necessary but I don't know if that's true.

That would depend on the security requirements of the app itself.

migs_inc

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Thank you all for your helpfulness. In my case, I had to go through the process twice. The first time I put the sim from my old S10+ into the S23 Ultra and ran basic setup, then selected an Android to Android update (that is, initiated Smart Switch). After about an hour, all data was transferred. In about another 90 minutes, the apps all transferred to the new phone from my S10+. However, no folders were created. Instead I had about 8 pages of apps. Ugh.

During the second try, VOILA! Performed a factory reset on the S23, put the Sim Card back into the old phone and it all worked, and in fact, worked faster. Folders, apps, everything. Format settings (fonts, colors) seemed to transfer but other things did not (e.g. my highlighted sports teams in the scores app I use, the keyboard choice and setup for Swiftkey).

All good, and again, thank you.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm